The Partick Thistle thread

tbf we might be seen as being a touch more attractive, from a managers perspective, than a host of other SPFL clubs? Not meaning that in any disrespectful way but surely the recent substantial Thistle - Weir youth investment, lack of bank debt, new training ground on the horizon, potential further investment from the Weirs in some capacity etc. would interest some slightly higher calibre coaches than a few of our peers?

When Archie goes I think we'll be spoilt for choice for a replacement, rather than scrambling for some hapless journeyman shite or a Sky Sports pundit.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

We're a much bigger draw than Dundee, if we had a vacancy then I would think the pool of candidates would be a bit less depressing.

In any case I'd rather we promoted from within, as too big an ego would likely disrupt the stability of the club. I'd much prefer Scott McKenzie to someone like clownshoes or Owen Coyle.

17 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

tbf we might be seen as being a touch more attractive, from a managers perspective, than a host of other SPFL clubs? Not meaning that in any disrespectful way but surely the recent substantial Thistle - Weir youth investment, lack of bank debt, new training ground on the horizon, potential further investment from the Weirs in some capacity etc. would interest some slightly higher calibre coaches than a few of our peers?

When Archie goes I think we'll be spoilt for choice for a replacement, rather than scrambling for some hapless journeyman shite or a Sky Sports pundit.

I would probably concur strongly with this. Adding to what you have said the board have also given Archie the time and help when we've struggled in terms of results or league position.

Didn't Dundee have a bigger player budget than Thistle this season, and isn't that normal for them to have a bit more cash to spend? Don't they have a bigger potential support?

I'd think that would be more attractive to managers, although the training ground and the youth investment maybe level it up somewhat.

Dundee have a larger budget and I believe had the 5th largest in league this year. They are a bigger club in terms of finances but what I like that Thistle are doing is by investing in youth academy, new training facilities and coaching structures is making the financial gap seem smaller and less relevant. It was interesting that Alex Neil when asked in his Sportsound interview this week "If he would take a job back in Scotland?" His answer was negative in regards lack of facilities and training resources at clubs. It wasn't just about money. He when Accies boss was sick of same things Archie and Maxy where talking about in regards always struggling to find places to train and use for club.
This is a very smart move by Jags. Yes money is important to tempt better players but if we get the mix right with 2-4 quality youth players making a breakthrough every year or two and bring in another 2-4 better quality players due to our better resources than likes of Accies, Motherwell, Killie, Saints and even the Dundee teams we may well be much better off in the long run. Being in the central belt also helps us against likes of more northerly clubs. Transport, amenities and access for players to enjoy the delights of Maryhill [emoji57]...[emoji12]

Season Ticket details out for next season - prices frozen and if I'm reading it right if you don't have one now but buy in the next 2 weeks you'll get this season's 3 post split home games tacked onto next year's ticket as well.

Edited by Fuctifano

That's my understanding too.  Nice wee gesture considering the three home games (well, two of them) are likely to be unattractive to some.  Fantastic news that the prices are frozen, would've been very easy for them to tack on a wee increase given what's happened this season.

10 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Dundee have a larger budget and I believe had the 5th largest in league this year. They are a bigger club in terms of finances but what I like that Thistle are doing is by investing in youth academy, new training facilities and coaching structures is making the financial gap seem smaller and less relevant. It was interesting that Alex Neil when asked in his Sportsound interview this week "If he would take a job back in Scotland?" His answer was negative in regards lack of facilities and training resources at clubs. It wasn't just about money. He when Accies boss was sick of same things Archie and Maxy where talking about in regards always struggling to find places to train and use for club.
This is a very smart move by Jags. Yes money is important to tempt better players but if we get the mix right with 2-4 quality youth players making a breakthrough every year or two and bring in another 2-4 better quality players due to our better resources than likes of Accies, Motherwell, Killie, Saints and even the Dundee teams we may well be much better off in the long run. Being in the central belt also helps us against likes of more northerly clubs. Transport, amenities and access for players to enjoy the delights of Maryhill emoji57.png...emoji12.png

Just to add to that, Dundee are aiming to have a new training ground and new stadium in a quicker timeline to what is being proposed by Thistle.

Just to add to that, Dundee are aiming to have a new training ground and new stadium in a quicker timeline to what is being proposed by Thistle.

You were also aiming for the top six this season though

Good news on the season tickets. The number of Season ticket holders is where we fall behind similar sized clubs in the premiership and even the championship.