The Partick Thistle thread

We’ve managed to win all of our home games so far, but we have been far from convincing and most people know that they are only papering over the cracks. 

We’ve not really played any of the promotion contenders at home in the league yet either. The only decent-looking team we’ve played at Firhill has been Ayr, who beat us comfortably. I’m not expecting anything against County next week.

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

SIGN A FUCKING RIGHT BACK.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Apparently Archie thinks the squad is too big.

Elliot aka Headless chicken was signed as a forward, not good enough so moved to midfield, not good enough so moved to full back, I guess he will be taking over in goals soon.

18 hours ago, dafcburty said:

Hi, 

I spoke with your ex-defender Danny Devine recently for the Official DAFC Match-Day Programme. 

Amongst other things, he speaks about his time at Partick Thistle. 

He started the season off well as the left centre back of a 3 but was taken off against Ayr after 30 mins and has rarely featured since, mainly due to injury and then illness, but, probably also due to what seems lime a falling out with the manager, after being unhappy at getting replaced against Ayr. 

I think he's a good defender for this level and I feel her one of Dunfermline's best defenders this season, too. 

Link.

Thanks. :)

In that link is this gem: " 9 or 10 first-team boys out injured...doesn’t help when the manager has his ideas about how he wants the team to play", i.e. the manager has a fixation that his plans are right and doesn't know how to change anything when the unexpected occurs.

13 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

[T]here’s a real chance that this season will end the same way as our season in 2005 did.

There's a sense of inevitability about it. :(

Edited by KelvindaleJag

34 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Why has the Club had precisely zero chat about Kris Doolan and a testimonial? We are now 3 months away from his decade of continuous service...

To be fair I think there are more pressing things to be concerned with at the club at the moment. Kris will get his game and remember a testimonial usually has events throughout the 10th year of service

4 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Robbie Neilson bumping his gums on Off The Ball. If only the club would do the right thing and get him in before he ends up at either of the Dundee clubs...

If only...:green

Und fans saying he has been has been at their last few games. Can't see Laslo surviving much longer up there. 

Archibald's tenure as manager has hardly been a disaster, in fact he's given us some moments to treasure in his time at the helm but it seems now he is unable to reverse the downward momentum we've been experiencing for the last year.
Now could well be the right time for a change as the squad he has put together, and we all know it's deficiencies, is far from the worst in this division. A new man in charge, a new outlook, a fresh enthusiasm could keep us in contention until the squad can be improved in January. It may also lift some of the gloom around Firhill.

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

Archibald's tenure as manager has hardly been a disaster, in fact he's given us some moments to treasure in his time at the helm but it seems now he is unable to reverse the downward momentum we've been experiencing for the last year.
Now could well be the right time for a change as the squad he has put together, and we all know it's deficiencies, is far from the worst in this division. A new man in charge, a new outlook, a fresh enthusiasm could keep us in contention until the squad can be improved in January. It may also lift some of the gloom around Firhill.

There have been a lot of good things, but he appears to have lost his way and why he has persisted with Headless Chicken Elliot for so long is beyond belief. Thanks for the memories Archie , don’t spoil it by clinging on to the bitter end.

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

To be fair I think there are more pressing things to be concerned with at the club at the moment. Kris will get his game and remember a testimonial usually has events throughout the 10th year of service

This *is* his 10th year of service and we haven’t heard a peep.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

This *is* his 10th year of service and we haven’t heard a peep.

Testimonials tend to be run by committtees, whether by a separate ‘club’ or a trust set up for the player, rather than by the employer club. If a football club did it for the player then I guess that it would be subject to the usual PAYE income tax liability, but money sent to the player by a trust might be more tax efficient (which, given the margins at this level, might make a difference after having to pay various outlays).  

I think it’ll be a group of people close to Doolan who will set that up that committee with his blessing.  The promoting should come from the committee rather than the football club, but if things were already organised I don’t see the  harm in the football club letting people know. 

Edited by bunglebonce