The Partick Thistle thread

15 minutes ago, forameus said:

It's the Erskine situation, but magnified.  We didn't really bring in a direct replacement for him, but Cardle was probably the closest, right?  I'd say in that sense, he probably just about got away with it.

It's the same here again, if Miller (or someone else) comes in and scores loads, then it's probably a good decision.  If he doesn't, and Doolan goes on to score a thousand, then it's a terrible decision.  To be fair though, that's exactly what Caldwell has said.  He's fronted up and realised what he's doing, and I expect he'll accept the blame if he gets it wrong.  Not that that'll save him.

Yep, I pretty much agree with this.  Personally, I would rather have Doolan in the team (or coming off the bench) than a 40-year-old Kenny Miller any day of the week, and that's without the stuff about Miller's alleged disruptive influence at other clubs being factored in.  Doolan had a poor season last year, but that was for the most part in an extremely poor team. It would have been interesting to see him in (hopefully) a better side, getting his confidence back and playing as a poacher, which is all Miller will realistically offer us. 

Maybe all this will be academic as Miller's not signed yet, and if the rumours are true, Caldwell may not be our manager this coming season anyway if we're taken over and become Barnsley and Nice's feeder club!

Going into last season I’d have rather had Kris Doolan than Scott McDonald.

If Kenny Miller comes in and scores important goals, I’m not really arsed if he’s there because he’s Gary Caldwell’s mate.

Kenny Miller will be a disastrous signing. Why in Gods name are we turning to a guy that will be 40 a couple of days before Xmas. Dundee fans saying he was the highest earner there, so he wont be coming to us for less, given that he asked Dundee to rip up his contract. Smells like a “your my best mate I will get you a half decent last contract” from Caldwell. Would have preferred if we had brought a couple of younger strikers in on lesser wages.  Was delighted when we brought Skippy in and would have been ok with Boyd joining but in football ages there is a massive difference in a player at 35 and one turning 40. If this takeover happens lets hope its before Miller signs a Gary Harkinsesque contract!! Who would be surprised if we gave him a 2 year contract?

17 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Kenny Miller will be a disastrous signing. Why in Gods name are we turning to a guy that will be 40 a couple of days before Xmas. Dundee fans saying he was the highest earner there, so he wont be coming to us for less, given that he asked Dundee to rip up his contract. Smells like a “your my best mate I will get you a half decent last contract” from Caldwell. Would have preferred if we had brought a couple of younger strikers in on lesser wages.  Was delighted when we brought Skippy in and would have been ok with Boyd joining but in football ages there is a massive difference in a player at 35 and one turning 40. If this takeover happens lets hope its before Miller signs a Gary Harkinsesque contract!! Who would be surprised if we gave him a 2 year contract?

There's no way of knowing if he's coming to us for less or not. He lives out this way so there's nothing to say he wouldn't accept less wages to avoid the commute to Dundee every day and there's nothing to say there wasn't a financial agreement which was part of him leaving Dundee which meant he would be willing to take lower wages at another club in order to continue playing.

For all the criticisms of Caldwell I refuse to believe he's willing to risk what I'm sure most would agree is his last chance in full time management just to give his mate a contract, especially when Miller is coming from another club at this level anyway. Him being 39 doesn't really bother me either as I'd wager a 39 year old Miller is much fitter than either Boyd or McDonald.

11 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

There's no way of knowing if he's coming to us for less or not. He lives out this way so there's nothing to say he wouldn't accept less wages to avoid the commute to Dundee every day and there's nothing to say there wasn't a financial agreement which was part of him leaving Dundee which meant he would be willing to take lower wages at another club in order to continue playing.

For all the criticisms of Caldwell I refuse to believe he's willing to risk what I'm sure most would agree is his last chance in full time management just to give his mate a contract, especially when Miller is coming from another club at this level anyway. Him being 39 doesn't really bother me either as I'd wager a 39 year old Miller is much fitter than either Boyd or McDonald.

I would be willing to wager Skippy is fitter than Miller and that Boyd would score more goals but we are never going to find out. Nobody springs to my mind initially but, if he signs, have we ever had anyone in their 40s playing for us? Not the way the club should be going but that is only my opinion!

I could be imagining it but pretty sure I saw an article a few months back saying Miller had sold his house and moved closer to Dundee

ETA

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4170715/rangers-kenny-miller-mansion-for-sale/

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I could be imagining it but pretty sure I saw an article a few months back saying Miller had sold his house and moved closer to Dundee

ETA

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4170715/rangers-kenny-miller-mansion-for-sale/

In April I'm sure his plan was to move closer to Dundee. He didn't manage to sell the house though and still lives there so his commute to Glasgow Uni and Lesser Hampden will be much more appealing than the drive to Dundee.

10 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Mad the level of money being flung at players for u23 squads in the EFL. 

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Always a chance Fitzpatrick would go in this window, though given he's just turned 18 there might be a chance of a loan back for the first season before (if he progresses) they put him at higher levels than us.

Not sure about Aiden but they're looking to buy a keeper from Aberdeen just so they can loan out the current incumbent and let the Aberdeen boy play in the u23s?

Also, Slater said in his Jagzone interview the timescale for full recovery from his ankle operation was 10-12 weeks so he should be back some point in August. There were 4 minutes left in the interview after that and I stopped watching, I presume the remaining questions were about "is 10-12 weeks a rough timeframe?" and "do you think you'll be back in around 3 months or so?"

Edited by Fuctifano

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

I would be willing to wager Skippy is fitter than Miller and that Boyd would score more goals but we are never going to find out. Nobody springs to my mind initially but, if he signs, have we ever had anyone in their 40s playing for us? Not the way the club should be going but that is only my opinion!

I think Billy Dodds made one or two appearances for us about that age before packing it in?