The Partick Thistle thread

I can't understand why James Lyon was allowed to leave whilst our squad. is weak atm.

Losing Brownlie is a blow and Gordon should return soon but O'Ware seems to gone awol again

Our bench is three short again even with two modern apprentices. Killie and ICT have the full nine subs and Dumbarton have eight.

Are we likely to sign anyone soon? The transfer rumour mill has gone very quiet and we need a few players in before the league starts.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

7 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I can't understand why James Lyon was allowed to leave whilst our squad. is weak atm.

Losing Brownlie is a blow and Gordon should return soon but O'Ware seems to gone awol again

Our bench is three short again even with two modern apprentices. Killie and ICT have the full nine subs and Dumbarton have eight.

Are we likely to sign anyone soon? The transfer rumour mill has gone very quiet and we need a few players in before the league starts.

I know we are making one signing this week, a defender. But we are that turgid we need at least another 4.

Our squad might well be a bit pish and thin, but I’d still rather Lyon was out on loan and playing every week rather than sitting on the bench here. We can always sign some bang average journeyman for the bench instead.

And O’Ware going awol significantly improves our defensive options, imo. 

Lack of pace was a massive issue last season until we signed Tiffoney and would seem to be the case again. I'll also continue bang my drum that having only Holt and Bannigan as the natural left sided outfield players is also a bit unbalanced. Left sided CB, left sided winger, another attacking midfielder / winger, and a full back required. Still crossing fingers we've found a taker for O'Ware as well.

We're a really boring cup side btw, very rarely beat teams from divisions above us or lose to teams from divisions below us (maybe diddy cup in the last couple of years excepted).

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Our squad is thin but not really in the position he plays, so it’s understandable I’d say. 

24 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We're a really boring cup side btw, very rarely beat teams from divisions above us or lose to teams from divisions below us (maybe diddy cup in the last couple of years excepted).

The League Cup we've generally done ok in in recent memory (at least in terms of performing bang on expectations. Falkirk beat us when we were in the top flight and there was a hideous defeat to Berwick about ten years ago.

The Scottish Cup we haven't lost to a lower league team in my lifetime (Google tells me Cowdenbeath put us out in 1993). Expect my post to bring this proud, almost 30 year record to a crushing end as we're papped out by Kelty Hearts at some midden in the middle of November.

26 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Our squad is thin but not really in the position he plays, so it’s understandable I’d say. 

I've always thought Bannigan and Docherty were a bit same-ey to be playing in midfield together. With the current make-up of the squad I'd have kept Lyon, but I expect we'll be signing at least one more for the position.

Off the top of my head since I started going in what is now a terrifyingly long time ago in 1987, we've beaten St Mirren 1989,  Dundee 2002, ICT 2006 (all Scottish cup) and Ross County 2019 (league cup) when they were a league (or two in ICT case) above us.

I'd forgotten about the Falkirk one but not Berwick or Cowdenbeath. Dundee also beat us in the mid 90s in the Scottish cup when we were in the Premier and they were 2nd tier but was hardly a shock. Culter away was obviously a really dreadful result but thankfully the replay was no contest. Over 30 years it's not a lot of upsets either way.

Edited by Fuctifano

ryan stevenson up front instead of lyle taylor (sorry...)

I think the only real genuinely disappointing cup result I can mind in the last few years (in hindsight, as above with Culter we ended up making amends in the end) was Dunfermline at home when we won the 1st division; if I've got it right we conceded a penalty directly after one of our own goal kicks and lost 1-0. Gonna have a little late night check to see if I've got that right...

edit: ahhh found it. Sort of right, and its jogged my memory - it was after the 5-1 game, Muirhead was sent off (and I'm 99% sure it was from our own goal kick because I remember seething about it), and while he didnt give away a penalty in getting sent off, Paul Gallacher saved a penalty from Ross Forbes in the 2nd half - that bit I had muddled. Going by the article Dunfermline's financial situation was publicly worsening at the time of the match too. Really frustrating.

further edit: "Jags keeper Graeme Smith." Yeah, sounds about right.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/partick-thistle-0-dunfermline-1-1468937

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I thought we were ok last night. Seemed more a pre-season friendly pace to the game but the result never really looked in doubt.

Midfield and up front looks good. Having 2 regular goalscorers in the championship will be more than most other teams have. Tuner, Bannigan and Dochetry are a midfield 3 most other championship clubs would bite your arm off for.

However back 4 and wide areas need work. Tiffoney doesn't look 100% fit but he is at least able to operate in wide areas. Murray is as he has always been - better as a sub and only really shows in in flashes what he is capable of. MacIver setup the first goal and did ok but he's really not a winger.

McKenna still looks akward at right back. Niang looked a bit clunky on the ball and could probably do with being loaned out to a league 1 team who will play him as a regular centrehalf so he gets a bit more comfortable on the ball. Sneddon was ok last night but still not convincing. Foster, Holt and Bell did decent jobs apart from Fosters brainfart at the end. Every game without Brownlie just shows how big a loss he is.

Need at least one centre half, possibly two. We also need a winger and another midfielder as cover.

Anyone know whats happened to O'Ware? Surely if he he is fit and not playing his time at firhill is coming to an end and if he's injured again surely its also time up?

2 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Where did you see that being confirmed?

It was confirmed by the SPFL in April that all SPFL clubs who don’t have a game televised live on tv(whether that is Sky or BBC) can show it on PPV worldwide - https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-47629

I expect this will be changed back to the way it was previously at the end of this season(ie only outside uk and Ireland to PPV). 

7 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

It was confirmed by the SPFL in April that all SPFL clubs who don’t have a game televised live on tv(whether that is Sky or BBC) can show it on PPV worldwide - https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-47629

I expect this will be changed back to the way it was previously at the end of this season(ie only outside uk and Ireland to PPV). 

I didn't know people could get access to games outside uk/ireland on streaming, always thought that was scrapped after we got relegated from premier league so good to know it will continue on after this season ends for people. Also good to know that streaming will continue for this season, will be good for anyone unsure or the older generation who may be at risk to be able to still see games.