The Partick Thistle thread

It wasn't a step up in clubs but a step up in professionalism of the club compared to Morton and the training aspects so much so that he had lost 1/2 a stone inside of a month from signing with us.

I’m not sure who this reflects worse on - Morton for their lack of professionalism, or us for finishing below them in the league.

Interesting that the last three junior currants we had on loan seemed to have a far better attitude than the previous gang.

Thses days I am not too adverse to taking a player on loan from a bigger club as this is part of their progression whether to their parent club or to a mother club up the food chain.

14 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Full list of players we've had on loan from Rangers since 2000 who have played in a competitive game as per @The Thistle Archive :

Billy Gibson
Jukka Santala
Steven Campbell (15 games apparently...)
Steven Lennon
Kyle Hutton
Kal Naismith
Darren Cole
Cammy Palmer
Jamie Barjonas
Lewis Mayo
Rhys Breen
Kieran Wright

Not that a Celtic list would produce any more successes but deary me.

Santala is genuinely the biggest success there and that's only because he was so shite in defence we stuck him up front to cause chaos, which he did. Wright, Billy Gibson, and (I think) Hutton were OK. Mayo and Breen were both affected by the various covid shutdowns. Barjonas, Lennon, Naismith, and Cole were actively rotten. I genuinely have no memory of Steven Campbell but he was a forward we had on loan in the first half of the 2006-07 season.

Law of averages we're due a good one, I guess.

Wright was fine for us last season. Mayo can also play in midfield and would be a useful addition to this season's squad. The others have had mixed fortunes.

Barjonas blew his chances with Sevco and is now at Kelty Hearts. Hutton has recently joined Cowdenbeath. IIRC Palmer signed for Linfield a few months ago and Cole is with Derry City.

But Naismith has been playing regularly in the Championship for Luton Town after signing in January!

Edited by Bishop Briggs

we need to address the right back and left back situation now very soft penalty set team back a bit  we created very little up front   And once again gave ball away  to many times can’t fault effort but effort won’t get us out of this league unfortunately

Edited by Jollyjag

Mccall said on radio he expected 3 in this week and one of them is a centre half. I'd imagine the other is either a wide player or a utility defender. McKenna is ok for back up but not good enough to be a first pick and neither holt nor Foster have covered themselves in glory so far this season. I thought Foster would probably be our utility defender this year with a first choice right and left back ahead of him.

8 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Mccall said on radio he expected 3 in this week and one of them is a centre half. I'd imagine the other is either a wide player or a utility defender. McKenna is ok for back up but not good enough to be a first pick and neither holt nor Foster have covered themselves in glory so far this season. I thought Foster would probably be our utility defender this year with a first choice right and left back ahead of him.

Will one of the 3 not be Cammy Smith?  As he has been in quarantine and won’t be able to join the squad till this week 

I’ve been impressed with Holt when he’s played at CB but he’s not been particularly effective as a LB. Foster like last season seems to be taking a while to get up to the required standard. 

Still a distinct lack of pace and creativity in the team (Smith may solve the latter) and I suspect McCall will be looking to bring in someone with pace next week. 

McCall said he wanted 19 outfield players, we have 17 at the moment with O'Ware to go and Brownlie basically done for the season so down to 15. 

If we go on the basis of the rumours of Mayo and Hastie joining, the latter would mean our midfield and attacking options are set I think (barring another long term injury while the window is open of course). Assuming we're playing a back 4 we'd have Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Tiffoney, Smith, Hastie, Rudden and Graham competing for 6 shirts with Murray, Gordon, and MacIver as backup and realistically Banzo and Doc will start every game if available.

We 100% need a full back on top of Mayo (please no jokes about that Turkish player called Can Tuna) - with possibly another defender if there's funds in the pot to cover Brownlie. Sena is a bit of a worry, he was poor at the second goal again today.

Edited by Fuctifano

McCall said he wanted 19 outfield players, we have 17 at the moment with O'Ware to go and Brownlie basically done for the season so down to 15. 
If we go on the basis of the rumours of Mayo and Hastie joining, the latter would mean our midfield and attacking options are set I think (barring another long term injury while the window is open of course). Assuming we're playing a back 4 we'd have Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Tiffoney, Smith, Hastie, Rudden and Graham competing for 6 shirts with Murray, Gordon, and MacIver as backup and realistically Banzo and Doc will start every game if available.
We 100% need a full back on top of Mayo (please no jokes about that Turkish player called Can Tuna) - with possibly another defender if there's funds in the pot to cover Brownlie. Sena is a bit of a worry, he was poor at the second goal again today.
Do we think it's beyond the realms of possibility that if, say Sena, were to be put on loan we could get another centre half in? Basically a one in one out scenario? Interestingly I was at Pollok yesterday and heard some fans say they couldn't believe Sena had disappeared after going to thistle. Bit strange to say for someone who played a reasonable number of games in a championship winning team.

Just now, jaggyness said:
1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Do we think it's beyond the realms of possibility that if, say Sena, were to be put on loan we could get another centre half in? Basically a one in one out scenario? Interestingly I was at Pollok yesterday and heard some fans say they couldn't believe Sena had disappeared after going to thistle. Bit strange to say for someone who played a reasonable number of games in a championship winning team.

I’d say there’s no chance Sena is going anywhere this season now with us so short at the back.

I have to say I’m not entirely convinced he’s a CB in general, though. Has never looked particularly convincing there for us and I feel like he’s more suited to the box-to-box CM role that he played for Montrose. Of course that leads to another issue of where he fits in this current team, because we’re pretty strong at CM as it is without him. But it wouldn’t surprise me if long term he ends up playing as a midfielder.

I’d say there’s no chance Sena is going anywhere this season now with us so short at the back.
I have to say I’m not entirely convinced he’s a CB in general, though. Has never looked particularly convincing there for us and I feel like he’s more suited to the box-to-box CM role that he played for Montrose. Of course that leads to another issue of where he fits in this current team, because we’re pretty strong at CM as it is without him. But it wouldn’t surprise me if long term he ends up playing as a midfielder.
I agree about us being light at the back but if a recognised, championship level, centre half became available and wanted to come to us I think we'd be silly to turn them down. I know that sounds like a description of Tam O'Ware before anyone says anything

That tallies with today's pre-match comments: three in this week with a further one or two to follow.

On 23/07/2021 at 16:07, Nightmare said:

You’re supposed to register it if you want to sit with certain people at the game, and the bubbles now allow for up to 15 people in them.

It doesn’t really sound like it will work, and from the two games I’ve never seen anyone checking that folk are in their right seats or the appropriate bubble.

Have now successfully purchased a ticket and got a QR code on the app which is presumably what I scan in at games - do I need to do anything in advance of the game next week or can I just go in and sit myself down in my designated seat?

12 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Have now successfully purchased a ticket and got a QR code on the app which is presumably what I scan in at games - do I need to do anything in advance of the game next week or can I just go in and sit myself down in my designated seat?

there’s info in the link attached to this tweet. Seems like we’ll be getting an email on or around Thursday advising of our seat for the QoS game.

Says most people will be able to use their ST seat but not everyone.

If we consider Sena as anything more than an absolute emergency CB then we are going absolutely no where this season. He doesn’t have the positional sense to play there at all, I think he’s a decent midfield prospect but defensively I hope not see him play CB again this season.

We Could do with 3 defensive players in all honesty,  2CBs and a left back. Having said that I don’t know why so many people don’t rate McKenna . I think he’s solid at RB. 

Don’t know much about Cammy Smith but I hope he can run at defenders, if not we have Tiffoney and Murray as the only players who can go and run at the opposing defenders. 

Turner looks like he could be an absolute Diamond this season though, he’s been really impressive.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

Edited by Thistle4eva

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

We 100% need a full back on top of Mayo (please no jokes about that Turkish player called Can Tuna)   WHAT ABOUT A RETURN OF RHYS BRINE- with possibly another defender if there's funds in the pot to cover Brownlie. Sena is a bit of a worry, he was poor at the second goal again today.

6 hours ago, Thistle4eva said:

If we consider Sena as anything more than an absolute emergency CB then we are going absolutely no where this season. He doesn’t have the positional sense to play there at all, I think he’s a decent midfield prospect but defensively I hope not see him play CB again this season.

We Could do with 3 defensive players in all honesty,  2CBs and a left back. Having said that I don’t know why so many people don’t rate McKenna . I think he’s solid at RB. 

Don’t know much about Cammy Smith but I hope he can run at defenders, if not we have Tiffoney and Murray as the only players who can go and run at the opposing defenders. 

Turner looks like he could be an absolute Diamond this season though, he’s been really impressive.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

Ye signed a LB - Kevin Holt on a two year deal, Are you calling him out already..😂