The Partick Thistle thread

20 minutes ago, AlwaysThistle said:

Resigned myself to this as soon as we didn't go up. Mostly gutted about Turner, Holt is a big loss.

I feel we can replace Doc as imo he wasn't really anything special

Ayr have yet to find a replacement for Docherty.  Don’t kid yourself - he might not be flashy, but players like him don’t grow on trees at our level.

It’s not that I don’t think we could possibly get better than all three (particularly Doc and Holt, although I think the former is massively underrated by a section of our support). I’m mostly just anxious as it’s another couple of players we’ll need to replace who were clearly good players at this level. I do trust Doolan as a manager, but the fact remains that he’s completely untested in the transfer market or on his ability to spot a player.

On the Holt to Cyprus thing, I’m pretty sure their transfer window opens later than ours so it could still be true. Who knows though, and if he goes elsewhere in Scotland for more money then fair play to him. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Ayr have yet to find a replacement for Docherty.  Don’t kid yourself - he might not be flashy, but players like him don’t grow on trees at our level.

This is definitely true IMO, as much as I think it can be easy to pass Docherty off as a fairly standard championship midfielder, he's exactly the type of player you noticeably miss when he's not in the team. I'm not convinced he's up to a consistent Premiership standard but at this level can be an asset who we may well (like Ayr) struggle to replace. 

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

It’s not that I don’t think we could possibly get better than all three (particularly Doc and Holt, although I think the former is massively underrated by a section of our support). I’m mostly just anxious as it’s another couple of players we’ll need to replace who were clearly good players at this level. I do trust Doolan as a manager, but the fact remains that he’s completely untested in the transfer market or on his ability to spot a player. 

Docherty was underrated by a section of the Ayr support too.  Only when he moved on did the penny drop, especially as we’ve had about 6 attempts at finding an able replacement and still haven’t found one.

The 3 of them leaving was expected but it’s still a kick in the stones, especially if they end up at other teams within this league. Whilst Holt and Docherty aren’t spectacular, they’re both very good at this level. Turner had been hit and miss until Doolan came in but he’s shown what he’s capable of since them and been tremendous. Replacing those 3 with a reduced budget will be extremely difficult.

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Would imagine, Docherty and Turner will be playing in the Premiership next season, especially the latter. Doesn't seem like the Holt Cyprus rumour was true, but could easily see him rocking up at Tannadice. As others have said, this news isn't in any way a surprise, and I'm actually more surprised Sneddon isn't yet away. 

Kris Doolan seems to suggest we might see a new face or two by the end of this week which would be a bit of a lift to go with the positive ST sales. 

He doesn’t say anything about new faces coming in - more that a couple of the out of contract players will sign new deals- I’m guessing Bannigan.  But they are not new faces.

A bit of a lift? Are any signings going to be as good as the 4 that left.  Who knows but it will be a big ask

2 minutes ago, third lanark said:

He doesn’t say anything about new faces coming in - more that a couple of the out of contract players will sign new deals- I’m guessing Bannigan.  But they are not new faces.

A bit of a lift? Are any signings going to be as good as the 4 that left.  Who knows but it will be a big ask

He says “players who want to play for Partick Thistle” which could very well be new players 

10 minutes ago, third lanark said:

He doesn’t explicitly say either or, I was perhaps being optimistic that “working around the clock” to be “securing deals with players who want to play for Partick Thistle” also presumed some new players on the horizon too, as well as those who may sign new deals. 

10 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Probably not. But a couple signings would still hopefully present a bit of a lift for the fans, to go with the positive ST sales. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

This is the reason I’m gutted about Doc going. He’s a player you notice the difference he makes more when he’s not playing, as it leaves gaping holes in the team. I believe he has the best PPG of all the players in the squad this year. 

Most gutted about Turner though, we could have built a team round him. A really classy player 

29 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

He doesn’t explicitly say either or, I was perhaps being optimistic that “working around the clock” to be “securing deals with players who want to play for Partick Thistle” also presumed some new players on the horizon too, as well as those who may sign new deals. 

Probably not. But a couple signings would still hopefully present a bit of a lift for the fans, to go with the positive ST sales. 

We will of course get new players in but unfortunately I think you are being optimistic that we will see any this week.  

51 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He did a hell of a lot of stuff for Jags for Good that he didn’t need to do so no idea why you’d think he’s a p***k tbh.

Some fans never took to him from the outset. Entitled to their opinion of course. 

Never understood it myself. I'd class him as a good guy and a good player at this level.

Personally I wish him all the best...wait a minute...Dundee United the f@#£&#&#

Seriously, I do wish him as best I can, to an opposing team's player.

Edited by jagfox

59 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He did a hell of a lot of stuff for Jags for Good that he didn’t need to do so no idea why you’d think he’s a p***k tbh.

Everyone has their own opinions it is allowed. I mean Ronaldo does a lot of good as well but he is the p***ks p***k!

22 minutes ago, chattyman said:

Everyone has their own opinions it is allowed. 

Calling card of a moron right here. You’ve been called out and decided this is the best response to it. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Calling card of a moron right here. You’ve been called out and decided this is the best response to it. 

So because one person doesn't like something he becomes a moron? Wow what a polarized world you must live in.

Edited by chattyman