The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

There isn't a conspiracy or anything but that's now seven years in a row our last regular season fixture has been away from home, not even as if we've had first fixture at home to compensate every year either (eg last year) 

Asked on QP thread about why our first visit to Hampden is a Friday as unlikely that TV picks made this far in advance. 

SWNT are playing at Hampden on 31st October so it will be to do with that and prepping Hampden for that game(more from a logistics and installation of advertising and cameras point rather than anything pitch related). 

35 minutes ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

I was recently writing on here about my distaste for a lot of contemporary football shirts and I used Celtic as an example of a club who usually don’t stray too far away from their classic green-white hooped home shirt. Then, lo and behold today comes the latest 2023/24 offering! This looks perhaps the most leftfield creation Celtic have ever signed up to for a home strip in their history. To me, with its bubbly (described as stained glass) hoops which look as if they are rhythmically swaying about, you wonder if the creator was perhaps using 1960s acid-dropping psychedelia as the catalyst for this effort.. Either that or they’d been imbibing some sort of hallucinogenic mind-altering chemical themselves! What a disaster-described as ‘a modern twist’ in the sales blurb! ‘Twisted’ certainly!

Celtic thread for this pish.

51 minutes ago, Passionate said:

To be fair this seems to be a bad year all round for strips of various brands,  Nothing  really stands out all overthought out, overpriced pish,   The worst of the lot being the Falkirk effort, truly horrific

Why the manufacturers don’t use classic strips from the past as their template, as Thistle’s did last season, I don’t know. But, at least it’s a chance to save money for the discerning fan!

2 hours ago, Don Kneelcaster said:

I was recently writing on here about my distaste for a lot of contemporary football shirts and I used Celtic as an example of a club who usually don’t stray too far away from their classic green-white hooped home shirt. Then, lo and behold today comes the latest 2023/24 offering! This looks perhaps the most leftfield creation Celtic have ever signed up to for a home strip in their history. To me, with its bubbly (described as stained glass) hoops which look as if they are rhythmically swaying about, you wonder if the creator was perhaps using 1960s acid-dropping psychedelia as the catalyst for this effort.. Either that or they’d been imbibing some sort of hallucinogenic mind-altering chemical themselves! What a disaster-described as ‘a modern twist’ in the sales blurb! ‘Twisted’ certainly!

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Is Lee Hodson really bad?

He’s not bad but he’s not good either. Offers absolutely nothing going forward as a full-back but he’s decent enough defensively. He was actually better in midfield than full-back but even then he wasn’t particularly good.

29 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He’s not very good playing in his natural full back position, certainly going forward and I don’t think he copes that well if his opposite has pace either. He did an adequate job filling in at midfield for us, including at Ibrox. 

32 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I quite liked him, but at the same time I don’t particularly want to re-sign him. As above, he’s not good going forward which is a hindrance when attacking full backs are a big part of the game plan. But equally, every time he played he did at least an adequate job and he’s probably a guy managers love because he’ll follow instructions really well.

Overall, better as a holding midfielder than a full back, but he’s basically fine. 

Hogsons just about passable as a back-up. You'd probably want to aspire for a bit more even for a second string player. Versatile aye but won't exceed a 6/10.

When Connor Mcavoy came in for the brief spell he was fit they were night and day apart. No the same players but both can play wherever along the back line. Would do anything to get him back, but there's better out there than Hodson at this level. 

3 hours ago, Count Jagula said:

Hogsons just about passable as a back-up. You'd probably want to aspire for a bit more even for a second string player. Versatile aye but won't exceed a 6/10.

When Connor Mcavoy came in for the brief spell he was fit they were night and day apart. No the same players but both can play wherever along the back line. Would do anything to get him back, but there's better out there than Hodson at this level. 

Would be great to get McAvoy back but how bad was his injury, he could be out a while yet?

Interesting bit of info from Doolan’s latest update, he says we have a full scouting system in place now, 6 in total (3 in Scotland, 3 in England) and this was crucial in identifying Wasiri as a target. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Would be great to get McAvoy back but how bad was his injury, he could be out a while yet?

I had heard that he's due or recently had surgery again, so if there's a loan deal to be done, it won't be until January.

2 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Where do we train / are we doing pre-season - is it still at Garscube?

It is at Garscube this year. Not sure if we have used this in a good, few years. 

I think it was WoS Rugby Club before? 

Also note that he doesn’t see Robinson as an out-and-out striker. Presumably means that we’ve got one more to come in as I doubt we’ll be going with just Graham and Dowds all season.

Also, just out of interest, does anyone know who the guy in the blue is here. It’s been annoying me for a couple of days

0683A283-750E-4538-90E9-C75421FFB8A7.thumb.jpeg.c27a2d077c95c54b5bff7db0f95a61f0.jpeg