The Partick Thistle thread

Realistically although our budget won't be the same as it was under the previous board who seemed incapable of spending only what they bring in it really should still be one of the bigger budgets in the league. We'll sell more season tickets than most, it seems fans and sponsors have stepped up when needed and there's the decent money coming in from the Foundation.

There was someone in the Airdrie thread thinking they should be competing with us for players, I don't think we're quite at that stage yet.

No idea of any figures involved but would imagine the 3 year stadium naming sponsorship has brought in a fair bit of welcome cash and good to see Dools getting a fair share to boost the squad and tie down important players. If we could get Jack and Harry (won’t hold my breath on the latter, sadly) it would cap a terrific few days!!

Aye, I’d say budget wise Dundee United will be well ahead of everyone else, then I’d guess that us, Queen’s Park and Dunfermline are the next three biggest even with ours being reduced somewhat.

Edit: forgot about Raith with their ‘definitely legitimate’ money coming in, but doesn’t change all that much to the above.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

On top of the stuff already mentioned, a couple of other things like getting 18,000 people through the door across the 3 playoff games even with the levy to the SPFL will have netted a few quid, as will the Kevin Nisbet compo. 

I mean we could still be spunking money we don't have but I'm more confident that the current board have got a handle on things.

Getting McMillan and Milne beyond this year would be nice as well, both are obviously a bit older than Fitzpatrick though so would have less of a sale value.

As for Fitzpatrick, he started last season well then had a huge dip in form and only really came back to life in the playoffs. Still doesn't look capable of 90 minutes but the potential is still there

Edited by Fuctifano

As said we will still have one of the bigger budgets. You can add Caley and probably Ayr to the list. Raith have made the headlines so far but they ended up with a small squad and released a lot of players. They ran to a 250,000 loss last season too, but that was underwritten by the old chairman or the "Window salesmen" from Cali...sorry Kelty.

Brilliant news about Fitzpatrick, especially if there was a few teams looking at him. If we could get McMillan and Milne to add another year then that would be even better. 

Great to see the news from TJF about Doolan becoming a member, what a (welcome) turnaround in the club’s relationship with them too. Not too long ago the old board would’ve happily had them proscribed in an official capacity from the club, and claimed they were on a hiding to nothing because their money wasn’t needed, now the first team manager is a fully paid member along with near 1500 fans. 

Edited by JagsCG

idk if this is a recency bias, but if you offered me a straight choice between keeping one of Tiffoney or Fitzpatrick then I'd have picked Fitzpatrick out of the two. Very, very pleased he's staying - would guess he's not a million miles away from a testimonial since he's had two spells with us?

Think Fitzpatrick has shown remarkable improvement as a left sided attacker, imo he's noticeably a lot more comfortable with his left foot and set up a few goals with it. Its maybe as simple as that Football Manager thing of him now having enough minutes there to have gone from a competent left winger to a natural one. Also means he can either go out onto his left or cut inside, theoretically also can play him as an outright winger down the right if we need to. At least I've always assumed he was right footed but maybe he is in fact left footed and its just not as noticeable as, say, Lawless! I'm convinced he takes set pieces with his right...

He absolutely annihilated Ayr at Firhill in the first half of the playoff game, if he's up against a poor enough full back (and there'll be a few in the league) then he'll roast them for fun.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Were your mob not pleading poverty a few weeks ago?

I don't think we were pleading poverty as such, more providing a 'stark' assessment of the previous seasons/boards financial shambles.

I said at the time we wouldn't suffer too much, glad to see it appears to be true.

23 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

He absolutely annihilated Ayr at Firhill in the first half of the playoff game, admittedly their left back might just be shite, but if he's up against a poor enough full back (and there'll be a few in the league) then he'll roast them for fun.

Did Fitzpatrick not play on the left of your three behind Graham that night, up against our RB on the night, Hewitt? Might be wrong, could have been up against Reading on the left or switching between the two wings. 

Either way, while both mentioned above are shite, Fitzpatrick was excellent that night - seemed to have a very good end to the season. When I heard some of the partick squad were moving on I was excited at the prospect of us looking to maybe sign him. Good piece of business to retain him imo.

Edited by AuAl

9 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Did Fitzpatrick not play on the left of your three behind Graham that night, up against our RB on the night, Hewitt? Might be wrong, could have been up against Reading on the left or switching between the two wings. 

Either way, while both mentioned above are shite, Fitzpatrick was excellent that night - seemed to have a very good end to the season. When I heard some of the partick squad were moving on I was excited at the prospect of us looking to maybe sign him. Good piece of business to retain him imo.

Have gone back and edited, do you know after looking on the text commentary on the official site I think it might have been Tiffoney I was thinking of :lol:

Did check and Fitzpatrick set up the goal for Graham from the left at least so I got that right.

21 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I see an Ayr fan talking about signing McMillan and Milne on there page. And now you saying about Fitzpatrick do yous really think you have the money to sign these players.

2 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

I see an Ayr fan talking about signing McMillan and Milne on there page. And now you saying about Fitzpatrick do yous really think you have the money to sign these players.

We're swimming in the B&W pound m8

(If we sell Dipo for 1,000,000,000,001)