The Partick Thistle thread

If our attackers stay fit I think we might well end up top scorers but we'll have enough off days that we won't come close to winning the league and our defence is still terrifying.

For all that we pissed it in the end tonight the first half could have been 3-0 either way or 3-3 and we had Sneddon to thank for keeping us ahead. 

Saw McMillan was walking about after the game applauding the fans which hopefully means he maybe just had a dead leg or something similarly minor. If he is out for a bit then we definitely need another body in on loan or random free agent. 

11 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

In my opinion we have the best squad in the league.

Keep it tighter at the back and with the attacking force we have we'll be there or there abouts.

Mon the Jags

Midfield to front we do look very good. Up there with anyone else in the league.

Dundee United are miles ahead of us defensively, though, and I’d say overall have a better squad.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Midfield to front we do look very good. Up there with anyone else in the league.

Dundee United are miles ahead of us defensively, though, and I’d say overall have a better squad.

Agree with that but the lack of a “bite yer ankles” defensive midfielder might come back to bite us. Teams like Airdrie, Queens Park and even Ayr last night appear to be just running through our midfield. We got lucky in the first half last night but a team like Dundee Und might punish us in a few weeks time!

Most of your post-Ayr updates now in place at the Archive, best explored via the home page news →

:detective:  THREE-IN-A-ROW

● With his 9th competitive goal versus Ayr United, Brian Graham joins John Torbet and Johnny Ballantyne as Partick Thistle's all-time top goalscorer against 'the Honest Men'.
● 59-goal Brian Graham moves to outright 33rd in our Illustrated Top 50 competitive scorers chart.
● For the first time in his distinguished Thistle career Steven Lawless scores in a third consecutive competitive match, even adding a second for good measure!
● 48-goal Steven Lawless moves up to 46th in our Illustrated Top 50 competitive scorers chart, overtaking Mark Roberts.
● Super-sub Tomi Adeloye scores just 16 seconds after the resumption of play following his entry onto the pitch! Quite possibly this is the quickest sub goal in our history, although such precise queries can never be scientific. Quickest we can find prior to this is 20 secs, by Jim Melrose in the Scottish Cup Semi Final versus Aberdeen in 1978.
● At the 11th time of asking, Thistle register their first competitive clean-sheet of 2023-24, ending the longest such season-opening run since 2003. It's Jamie Sneddon's first clean-sheet since February, 2023.
● For the very first time, Kris Doolan's Jags win three-in-a-row in the League.

ongoing sequences:

● 39 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

F6JXHtyWMAAu2hd.png

I think the Adeloye goal is even quicker than 16 seconds, by the BBC clock it's 79:42 when Ayr take the throw after he comes on and 79:50 when the ball hits the net.

Doubt there will be a way to verify anything quicker unless someone was specifically brought on to take a penalty or free kick NFL style, but I don't remember any. 

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

The 'resumption of play' is timed from the referees whistle, 8 secs before the boy throws the ball.

How quick was Shea Gordon’s goal against Morton a few years ago? That’s the only other time I can remember a sub scoring with their first touch. 

26 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

How quick was Shea Gordon’s goal against Morton a few years ago? That’s the only other time I can remember a sub scoring with their first touch. 

Checked Jagzone as nothing better to do. It was just over six seconds from the restart whistle to the ball crossing the line.. Cracking finish.

52 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

The commentators cover the women’s matches as well. They might be at Hearts.

No commentary was fine, that was not the issue. The issue was that apart from the last 20 minutes of the first half where we had the stadium/crowd noise the rest of the game was silent. Was a decent game but the absence of any sound was quite poor. 

Was looking a wee bit ahead to upcoming fixtures. See that we have no game on either 18th or 25th Nov. One of these weeks is set for internationals and the other is for the challenge cup. I see that we have a midweek game with Ayr on 31st Oct. What’s the rules on pushing games back and would it make sense to push that game back ?

15 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Was looking a wee bit ahead to upcoming fixtures. See that we have no game on either 18th or 25th Nov. One of these weeks is set for internationals and the other is for the challenge cup. I see that we have a midweek game with Ayr on 31st Oct. What’s the rules on pushing games back and would it make sense to push that game back ?

25th is Scottish cup which we'll be in. 

Moving the midweek Ayr game to an international break would most likely deprive us of Neilson and MacKenzie, would have to weigh that up vs the extra cash from a Saturday 3pm kick off. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

25th is Scottish cup which we'll be in. 

Moving the midweek Ayr game to an international break would most likely deprive us of Neilson and MacKenzie, would have to weigh that up vs the extra cash from a Saturday 3pm kick off. 

Ok - thought the 25th was the one that QOS beat us in. Wouldn’t think it a good idea to move the game to an international weekend if we were missing players.