The Partick Thistle thread

Having the option of a decent DM would be welcome, but I'm becoming less convinced that it's a necessity and definitely not if it's at the expense of signing someone of e.g. Turner or Tiffoney's quality in January, should that opportunity come up.

Our position in the league is down to our attacking quality and I'd be reluctant to trade that off too much, especially when there's not many teams in the league who merit that kind of respect and when we have Neilson and Williams who could fill there if needed.

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

Having the option of a decent DM would be welcome, but I'm becoming less convinced that it's a necessity and definitely not if it's at the expense of signing someone of e.g. Turner or Tiffoney's quality in January, should that opportunity come up.

Our position in the league is down to our attacking quality and I'd be reluctant to trade that off too much, especially when there's not many teams in the league who merit that kind of respect and when we have Neilson and Williams who could fill there if needed.

Although it looks like we are safely in a playoff spot, it also looks like we have no real prospect of finishing any higher than 3rd. I suppose the question is whether there is a DM out there that we could sign. 

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

I don't agree with this at all. We are scoring at more than 2 a game already. 33 goals scored in 16 games. Attack is not a problem.

Conceding 26 goals in those 16 games (the joint worse defence outside the bottom 2) is a problem though. I would much rather sign a good DM (possibly 2) than either Tiff or Turner.

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Simply a rumour going around on the supporters buses that Fitzpatrick is simply not interested in leaving at the moment as he is enjoying life and had a poor experience at Norwich and would rather wait.

again, pure rumour but must have come from somewhere 

Rumours don’t come from somewhere, they’re made up

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Simply a rumour going around on the supporters buses that Fitzpatrick is simply not interested in leaving at the moment as he is enjoying life and had a poor experience at Norwich and would rather wait.

again, pure rumour but must have come from somewhere 

Sorry if my previous reply  sounded curt. If we received a offer  for Fitzpatrick which we couldn’t refuse then he’d be on his  way. 

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I don't agree with this at all. We are scoring at more than 2 a game already. 33 goals scored in 16 games. Attack is not a problem.

Conceding 26 goals in those 16 games (the joint worse defence outside the bottom 2) is a problem though. I would much rather sign a good DM (possibly 2) than either Tiff or Turner.

My point is whether accommodating a DM in the team would allow us to keep up that same rate of goalscoring, or if we'd be trading off an extra body in attack.

It all depends on the quality of player who may be available in January which I've no idea about, but whatever we're doing now has us on course for a comfortable top 4 finish and I wouldn't be keen to mess about with it too much.

11 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

My point is whether accommodating a DM in the team would allow us to keep up that same rate of goalscoring, or if we'd be trading off an extra body in attack.

It all depends on the quality of player who may be available in January which I've no idea about, but whatever we're doing now has us on course for a comfortable top 4 finish and I wouldn't be keen to mess about with it too much.

I agree it is not as simple as sticking a DM and everything comes up roses.

Would anyone have said replacing Milne with Holt at leftback and Bannigan being dropped have resulted in such a change in form from the start of last year?

Has to be a player who can still pass the ball and be relatively mobile rather than just a clogger.

Certainly someone with a bit of presence. There have been plenty of games where we have been found wanting in the middle of the park. McInroy and Alston on some occasions just don't have much impact but have done well on others. 

Edited by jagfox

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I agree it is not as simple as sticking a DM and everything comes up roses.

Would anyone have said replacing Milne with Holt at leftback and Bannigan being dropped have resulted in such a change in form from the start of last year?

Has to be a player who can still pass the ball and be relatively mobile rather than just a clogger.

Certainly someone with a bit of presence. There have been plenty of games where we have been found wanting in the middle of the park. McInroy and Alston on some occasions just don't have much impact but have done well on others. 

I’m not sure if he’s completely done or not, and I appreciate that the guy is a massive p***k but Andy Halliday could be an option given he’s hardly playing at Hearts.

Not saying that I massively particularly want him though. 

2 hours ago, Reid said:

We could do with another wide player in. We’ve effectively only got 2, a serious injury to either of them and we’re a much poorer team.

Aye, this. When Fitzpatrick was out earlier in the season we tried Mcdonald for one game and he was hopeless, then played various centre mids out of position. Squad is a bit lopsided in terms of having about seven central players and three wingers but with one surely on his way out. 

Not sure I'd be massively convinced with either Williams or Neilson in midfield full time tbh. At least we already tried Muirhead there about 9 years ago (at Celtic park and Tynecastle) so can write that one off. 

Edited by Fuctifano

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not sure if he’s completely done or not, and I appreciate that the guy is a massive p***k but Andy Halliday could be an option given he’s hardly playing at Hearts.

Not saying that I massively particularly want him though. 

46 minutes all season (according to Transfermarkt) definitely suggests he could be away in January. Would he be looking for a better wage than we could offer? Possibly just the opportunity of game time. He definitely fits the bill if he’s not completely done, would need to accept his presence in the media as a spokesperson for Rangers fans though. 

Could be wrong but I’m sure his brother used to be a youth coach with us. 

8 hours ago, JagsCG said:

46 minutes all season (according to Transfermarkt) definitely suggests he could be away in January. Would he be looking for a better wage than we could offer? Possibly just the opportunity of game time. He definitely fits the bill if he’s not completely done, would need to accept his presence in the media as a spokesperson for Rangers fans though. 

Could be wrong but I’m sure his brother used to be a youth coach with us. 

Lawless is our resident Rangers cheerleader, could cause friction.

A tour of Norway was reward for getting to the Scottish Cup final in 1930. It “set the Norwegians agog” and the Jags were described as “elegant” and “dazzling”. From Firhill to the Fjords, our brand new 'Partickle' tells the story of Thistle's first-ever encounters with continental opposition, and how they flew the flag for Scotland and wowed the locals…

Welcome To Norway Mr. Lambie, Jackson & Co! →

norway-1.png

I am enjoying the old football books I have bought, for some holiday reading.  I had no idea that both Alex Raisbeck and Kenny Campbell had played for The Jags. I'm chuffed about that.  I'm choosing to focus on Alan Hansen's positive relationship with Dave McParland.  A coach developing a young player is a good news story.

16 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Given it’s a full time position, I can’t imagine that happening (at the moment).

Aye that was my thinking

However, they may still approach him and it could actually be quite a difficult decision to make 

also would imagine the men’s and women’s team would get compo for that