The Partick Thistle thread

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

What is it we are arguing about exactly ? I said it was a risk and Airdrie were happy with 4th.

To be fair if you finish 3rd or 4th same result. So I genuinely think neither was giving a shit.

The reason a 3rd of 4th team has never been promoted is due to intensity and number of games. Doolin is going to have to grow bollocks and field guys to give others a rest even in the playoffs.

Pump Airdrie first game then maybe 2/3 changes. That will show whether or no he has the plums for this.

It was our down fall last year... ontop of a banjo return to fitness for last game.

Edited by El Gringo Jag
Typo

12 minutes ago, El Gringo Jag said:

To be fair if you finish 3rd or 4th same result. So I genuinely think neither was giving a shit.

I would say the only important aspect of it was the 90k or so extra prize money we receive for finishing 3rd, rather than 4th. That could easily be important next season signing wise.

I would argue that the whole play your home leg second thing is not the advantage it’s made out by the rules, winning your home leg first can make the tie an uphill struggle for the team at home second. Look at our games vs Queens and Ayr last season. 

14 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

To be fair if you finish 3rd or 4th same result.

Finishing 3rd is worth more than £100k extra prize-money and, even after bonuses and other costs, still nets out to about £80k extra cash in the bank.

Not to be sniffed at for Clubs that have a track record of losing (even in good years) six figure sums.

Posted (edited)

Crawford has impressed me when I’ve seen him at Morton but thought he was poor for us previously, then again McCall shunted him out wide quite a bit IIRC and that clearly didn’t suit him so I’m probably being harsh.

Edited by JagsCG

Definitely hasn’t been as good this season as the previous season but he’s the best pressing midfielder I’ve seen in this league in a long time. The guy can run full pelt for 90 mins easily and has decent on the ball ability.

it will be interesting to see how a few of our players who leave get on because Imrie has built a system to get the best out of their abilities and running around a lot with the attacking return he had this season probably won’t cut it for a team like Patrick compared to us where first and foremost we try to stop the opponent playing their game.

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

If there's one thing Doolan appears to have learned from McCall it's you can never have enough central midfielders.

This is true but McInroy, Alston (🙏) and Neilson are all unlikely to be with us next season irrespective of what division we're in. 

I would have taken McInroy over Crawford but have thought- without anything substantial to base it on -that McInroy will be at one of  Raith / Dunfermline / Falkirk next season. Midfield numbers also depend whether we've already given up on McBeth as a midfielder or if we plan to try him there again with a full pre season behind him.

CM is going to be a position of need for us this summer, so I get the signing from that point of view. Equally, though, Crawford is just… meh. A thoroughly uninspiring signing.

If we’re still in the Championship next season (which I think we will be) then I’m happy enough with the signing. It’s dull, but he’s proven to be a solid midfielder at this level.

If we get promoted, then I’m not sure he’ll cut it as any more than squad filler. 

Be gutted to see Robbie leave. His work rate is second to none. He didn't chip in with as many goals or assists as he did last season but still one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Wish him nothing but the best if he leaves but hopefully its nothing more than paper talk.

4 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

The new Doc haha

A position which generally doesn't get the plaudits but if not doing it right criticism follows rapidly.

I am happy enough with the signing.

Crawford is nowhere near as good as Docherty at the defensive/holding side of the game, and I don’t think he’s being signed as the DM.

More of a box to box, high energy guy. A bit like a Ryan Edwards, but not as good.

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

Be gutted to see Robbie leave. His work rate is second to none. He didn't chip in with as many goals or assists as he did last season but still one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Wish him nothing but the best if he leaves but hopefully its nothing more than paper talk.

Looks like Scot Burns reported the move, who is usually pretty accurate with these kind of things.

I'm sure I read recently he hoped to stay at Morton for the next few seasons?

I guess money and or length of contract is the kicker in these kind of deals though.