The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Crawford is nowhere near as good as Docherty at the defensive/holding side of the game, and I don’t think he’s being signed as the DM.

More of a box to box, high energy guy. A bit like a Ryan Edwards, but not as good.

He played in the number 10 role for us and was mainly used as the guy to lead our high press against defences. The only other position I can remember him playing was out wide occasionally but his main position was always behind the striker.

he didn’t have the goal or assist output needed for a successful team in that position which is why I wonder how successful he will be in a team that expects more from him than just his pressing ability and to be a pain in the arse to opposition defenders like we did.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Crawford is nowhere near as good as Docherty at the defensive/holding side of the game, and I don’t think he’s being signed as the DM.

More of a box to box, high energy guy. A bit like a Ryan Edwards, but not as good looking.

FTFY. 

5 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Comparing him to Ryan Edwards gives him instant scapegoat potential haha.

Makes sense he will play further forward as I wouldn't like to see Stanway's progression stifled too much. 

Tbf, Ryan Edwards was mostly decent for us. The whole midfield in 17/18 ended up with a terrible reputation all round because they essentially chucked it for the last few months of the season (which was unforgivable), but broadly speaking Edwards was fine at what he did - which was run/press like f**k, retain the ball and chip in with the odd goal and assist.

Which based on what Morton fans are saying does sound quite like what Crawford has done for them. It’s definitely something a bit different to any CM we’ve had this year, I suppose.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Tbf, Ryan Edwards was mostly decent for us. The whole midfield in 17/18 ended up with a terrible reputation all round because they essentially chucked it for the last few months of the season (which was unforgivable), but broadly speaking Edwards was fine at what he did - which was run/press like f**k, retain the ball and chip in with the odd goal and assist.

Which based on what Morton fans are saying does sound quite like what Crawford has done for them. It’s definitely something a bit different to any CM we’ve had this year, I suppose.

Hopefully it works out for Robbie and he can get ba k into scoring and setting up a few goals.

Edwards was certainly full of energy. Mad he dumped us then sidled up at Hearts and got a cup final goal.

I think the final whistle was still ringing when he had stated he was leaving.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

3 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Well Crawford is not Premiership material so presumably you intend to stuff up the play offs.  What a shame.

This isn’t the slight you think it is.

21 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Well Crawford is not Premiership material so presumably you intend to stuff up the play offs.  What a shame.

We can use him as back up in the unlikely event we gain promotion to the top tier.  Not a scenario Greenock need to worry about this year (or any year since the late 1980s).

tymo.gif

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Looks like Scot Burns reported the move, who is usually pretty accurate with these kind of things.

I'm sure I read recently he hoped to stay at Morton for the next few seasons?

I guess money and or length of contract is the kicker in these kind of deals though.

All down to money and length of contract as you said mate CG. Couldn't grudge Crawford more money or a longer deal than what we have offered. 

I was told our players had meetings with the board and manager today so no doubt hear something this week on a few players.

46 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I was told our players had meetings with the board and manager today so no doubt hear something this week on a few players

Yes. It would seem strange that a player would accept an offer from another club without knowing what was on offer from his present club. Unless he has already made up his mind to leave, for other than financial reasons.

On 04/05/2024 at 12:07, Mike the Magyar said:

Congratulations to Mr McCall for keeping Clyde up.

Hopefully they can get themselves a ground somewhere in the city, and rebuild back to being a half-decent club again.  At least so they can be in the championship while we look down at them from the Premier.  

8 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

Hopefully they can get themselves a ground somewhere in the city, and rebuild back to being a half-decent club again.  At least so they can be in the championship while we look down at them from the Premier.  

No thanks. Keep them in the wilderness, where they belong.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I would have taken McInroy over Crawford but have thought- without anything substantial to base it on -that McInroy will be at one of  Raith / Dunfermline / Falkirk next season. Midfield numbers also depend whether we've already given up on McBeth as a midfielder or if we plan to try him there again with a full pre season behind him.

Also forgot about the boy from Spartans who was rumoured on here to be joining us , that would be another CM / AM

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Also forgot about the boy from Spartans who was rumoured on here to be joining us , that would be another CM / AM

Queens Park are seemingly interested in the Spartans lad as well 

5 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

It will be funny if we get George Oakley in.

Would be a good signing but from Oakleys perspective it makes little sense other than getting more money. 

Graham has another season in him as first choice striker so you’d imagine any striker that Thistle sign will have a tough job competing with him. Oakley himself isn’t a young player who will be prepared to wait for his chance. Unless of course Doolan is changing the shape or style but even then I’m not sure how well it will work having two target men style strikers playing together. 

Crawfords probably been our most consistent player over the last two years and will be pretty gutted to see him go. (Alongside Oakley and Strapp)

Surprised if a deal has been done before you know which league you will be in but if you are in the Championship next season, he will be very good for you IMO. Works his absolute arse off for 90 minutes. Its def not a dull signing.

Local rag saying we offered same length of deal so obviously came down to wages.

He was one I thought we'd hang onto as he's been quiet for a while now wish him all the best, probably the last big contract for him.

Big rebuild for us this summer.