The Partick Thistle thread

3 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Good luck to Jamie. He will always have this to look back on.

20240521_183736.thumb.jpg.91dbec8d4b7d774d047ab619c3cb9902.jpg

That goal arguably kept McCall in a job a couple months longer than he should have been, and given the subsequent improvement under Doolan, may have cost us promotion.

7 minutes ago, 9queens said:

Oh dear

Has Dougie Imrie's coaching improved him a shitload

Probably not. Playing him in his natural position might mean he works out better for us this time than when McCall stuck him on the RW, though.

But still a pretty underwhelming signing in general, if it does go through.

5 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Graham best forward in the league - but he is 36- and joke he plays usually 90mins( James Forrest doesn’t get anything like that )

I know you and many fans don’t rate Dowds but clearly Brown and Whittaker who have played at much higher level do.

Bizzare but ironic if he has been offered deal. Bizzare as no forward is successful as understudy to Graham’/ as seems he refuses to be substituted . Dowds had great record as subsitute under McCall but Doolan never played him- never even put him onto to take penalties against Ross Country despite the fact he has never missed a penalty in Professional football but kept on Brannigan who has rarely scored a penalty in professional football - and he missed bs Ross County.

Interesting if Doolan says got it wrong - you scored 14 goals - 7 assists with one of the worst teams in the league? He does that- he might be smart.

For me - Graham best forward in the league- but 36- not sure in all aspects anyone better than Dowds…. But many disagree - all about opinions….

It depends what Dowds wants. With Graham not being 36 there is now a real possibility that Dowds becomes the new Graham if he is willing to be a sub for some of the time. Presumably this would have been the same gig Oakley was offered and that Adeloye had.

Adeloye played sometimes 30mins each week and was on course to hit double figures as a sub striker. 

15 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Graham best forward in the league - but he is 36- and joke he plays usually 90mins( James Forrest doesn’t get anything like that )

I know you and many fans don’t rate Dowds but clearly Brown and Whittaker who have played at much higher level do.

Bizzare but ironic if he has been offered deal. Bizzare as no forward is successful as understudy to Graham’/ as seems he refuses to be substituted . Dowds had great record as subsitute under McCall but Doolan never played him- never even put him onto to take penalties against Ross Country despite the fact he has never missed a penalty in Professional football but kept on Brannigan who has rarely scored a penalty in professional football - and he missed bs Ross County.

Interesting if Doolan says got it wrong - you scored 14 goals - 7 assists with one of the worst teams in the league? He does that- he might be smart.

For me - Graham best forward in the league- but 36- not sure in all aspects anyone better than Dowds…. But many disagree - all about opinions….

Hi Anton.

12 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Well, that's an awful lot of lunacy to try and decipher in one post.

My favourite part was the bit where it says that no forward has been successful as an understudy to Graham, and then in the very next sentence immediately contradicts that by saying that Dowds had a great record as a substitute under McCall.

Just now, Its not only a game said:

No just an EF fan - and under the Campbells we are coming to take your lunch….

Ps we love our ex players …. Durie, Archibald, Clark, Agnew, Meggat , Dowds - I know You wantto be big clubs don’t get it- we love our club and love that our X players move on-and defend them .

i know you wont understand it- but hey an EF fan in Mauritius loving the chat.

5 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Looks like we’ve established that Anton Dowds’ Da is an East Fife fan in Mauritius, who makes zero sense on the internet.

Jeez - such paranoi - now early morning in Mauritius - just a good old Scottish fitba fan who hates the bigot brothers and the dull English football-Iove Scottish fitba 🤷‍♂️

EF fans hope to win but we  know our position in the food chain and love to see our Ex players do well without being viewed as their Da, Aunt or uncle ….

Posted (edited)

I'm more positive on Dowds than most Thistle fans on here and would happily take him in the backup role Adeloye played this season with Diack signing an extension and going out on loan and a 3rd smaller pacier forward signed,  but I'd assume Dowds wasn't happy with that role and won't be this year.

Edited by Fuctifano

3 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Jeez - such paranoi - now early morning in Mauritius - just a good old Scottish fitba fan who hates the bigot brothers and the dull English football-Iove Scottish fitba 🤷‍♂️

EF fans hope to win but we  know our position in the food chain and love to see our Ex players do well without being viewed as their Da, Aunt or uncle ….

I profess I have virtually no idea what anything you’ve said means, but best of luck to you and your team anyway, Mr Dowds.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

LouisT.gif

Edited by VictorOnopko

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Well, that's an awful lot of lunacy to try and decipher in one post.

My favourite part was the bit where it says that no forward has been successful as an understudy to Graham, and then in the very next sentence immediately contradicts that by saying that Dowds had a great record as a substitute under McCall.

I liked the great esteem he is held in by Ayr's management team who never signed him and seem to have selected to go with George Oakley as their first choice signing in the striker role.

I don't think Dowds will re-sign for Thistle but I wouldn't be too upset if he did.

I don't see any changes in the circumstances that made him work a move away last season though.

His agent got a lot of (deserved) flak at the time, but the decision will come down to Dowds and him alone for where he signs next.

Interested to see where he goes. Not good enough for Premiership so Championship looks likely unless he can get a gig in League 1 or 2 down South.

9 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Any evidence of this rating by your lot? It was Bullen that brought him in to you, and you didn't have a whole lot else to offer up front when Brown came in.

I've not seen any statements from Ayr that Dowds is their #1 target for the new season.

And what relevance does the level that Brown (and for some reason Whittaker?) played at matter? It doesn't mean they can pick a player - plenty of top players were shite managers/coaches.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Any evidence of this rating by your lot? It was Bullen that brought him in to you, and you didn't have a whole lot else to offer up front when Brown came in.

I've not seen any statements from Ayr that Dowds is their #1 target for the new season.

Brown did seem to be quite keen on Dowds in post match interviews close to the end of the season. Talked a number of times about his workrate and goal return, and that he was really great to work with.

However, as you suggest, there hasn't been anything concrete said since we last played about us being desperate to keep him, nor has there been any indication yet that we are a front runner to get him signed. As much as I'd like it to be the case.

The talk of us going after Oakley may be a sign of not hanging all our hopes on Dowds re-signing and trying to have alternatives ready.

Edited by AUcal

There's 2 possible scenarios here. He's either a member of the Dowds family which is just a bit sad or he's not related to him in which case Anton should be fearful of his safety as it's very creepy if you read through the sheer number of posts he mentions him.

It definitely reads like a Dowds family member, but then when you get to the part about wanting him to sign for East Fife again. Surely if the guy was related to Dowds he wouldn't be advocating for such a terrible, backwards career move.

The wild statements were made by the East Fife fantasist, and best ignored.

All anyone will know is that Anton Dowds is out of contract and due to his scoring record last year will receive a few offers. Partick Thistles statement sounds like they have left the door slightly open.

He is probably the highest scoring forward in the division that is out of contract, so it may make sense to have a discussion. Last year I thought we might have signed jakubiak, but glad we did not as he only scored two goals for Dunfermline.  I would rather sign the best players from the championship and division 1, than another Mcdonald from a lowly English league.

Clubs and players will say nothing until a deal is done and it is sometimes dependant on other factors. Look at the process for signing Robbie Crawford. Nothing has been announced by either party, so we are not certain that it will happen.