The Partick Thistle thread

35 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Outside chance of televised game vs Motherwell, perhaps?

Edinburgh always good for an away day (Spartans aside possibly) although as said actual match venue very meh.

Don't mind an away day to Motherwell either tbh.

I am easily pleased.

Yeah, it was more the stadium aspect of Meadowbank I was referencing. But a train through to Edinburgh for a few pints is a decent compromise for the worst stadium experience in the competition. Which probably means we’ll get that fixture on a Tuesday instead of Saturday.

A lot of good pubs around Meadowbank, will be good to revisit that area. Not been to the new-look stadium either, though I expect the experience will very much be:

Been a while since I've had a Motherwell trip, think my last time was a 0-0 end of season affair which was delightfully sunny. Hopefully same weather again but without the rail replacement bus service.

Montrose one of only two clubs I've never seen, so happy with that too.

Clyde. Well...

37 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

think my last time was a 0-0 end of season affair which was delightfully sunny.

A great day out and an awful game.

Singing for 90 minutes about Motherwell getting relegated, which ended up backfiring because they sworded the blue bigots in the playoffs the following week. I don’t mind that one coming back to bite us at all, though.

Why we putting up all these woman's teams posts as if that's gonna set me up for the weekend.

Notice all loan players that got shipped back not one will be missed.

Need some new blood in now. Those getting there knickers in a twist about Mitchell at least stewarts gone, I will sleep easier at that.

They won't sign anyone til they get an early projection on season ticket sales. Same every year guys, so chill. Will be loanies again to fill any void.... hopefully better than the last lot.

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

How El Gringo Jag feels about Thistle posting about the women's team is how everyone feels when they see him coming.

There's more to come as well. 

2 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Why we putting up all these woman's teams posts as if that's gonna set me up for the weekend.

Notice all loan players that got shipped back not one will be missed.

Need some new blood in now. Those getting there knickers in a twist about Mitchell at least stewarts gone, I will sleep easier at that.

They won't sign anyone til they get an early projection on season ticket sales. Same every year guys, so chill. Will be loanies again to fill any void.... hopefully better than the last lot.

Thistle mens teams have posted nothing about the womens team so you must be following the womens page as well 

McKinstry is an interesting one, I think we would have to pay Queens Park compensation for him.

From what I understand he is primarily a wide midfielder but can also play through the middle as a sort of ten?  

8 hours ago, Braesoyetts said:

We should take a look at the same rock pile we found Luke McBeth under, maybe there’s a goalie under there?

I wouldn’t be too surprised if we were looking at the Lowland & Highland leagues or WoS for more players. A pretty low risk way of potentially unearthing a gem, such as McBeth, at not much cost to the club. 

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised if we were looking at the Lowland & Highland leagues or WoS for more players. A pretty low risk way of potentially unearthing a gem, such as McBeth, at not much cost to the club. 

Did we not have McBeth on trial for a good few weeks before signing him?

Not against doing the same during pre season, especially early weeks while the squad will still be short.

We must have one of the better track records with those moves: Doolan, Erskine, James Craigan and now McBeth. Missed anyone?

Posted (edited)

Although going back in time a fair bit, we also had the disastrous experiment under Lambie at the start of his 3rd spell (maybe 1999?) where he signed about half a dozen guys from the juniors presumably on the basis Clyde had done it the season before and been quite successful.

All the ones we signed were hopeless but thankfully it was in the days before transfer windows and they all got punted back within a few weeks. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Christie Elliott came in from some kind of Newcastle junior league equivalent I think?

Steven Bell arguably, an older head and not quite the same as unearthing a younger player that settles into full time football but had a good impact all the same.

47 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Christie Elliott came in from some kind of Newcastle junior league equivalent I think?

Steven Bell arguably, an older head and not quite the same as unearthing a younger player that settles into full time football but had a good impact all the same.

Whitley Bay.

You know... he's not that old. Can we convince Christie to come out of retirement to cover for Stevie Lawless?

6 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Whitley Bay.

You know... he's not that old. Can we convince Christie to come out of retirement to cover for Stevie Lawless?

Christie Elliot, I still can't believe he got a full-length professional football career out of being really fast and a nice guy.

I can barely remember anything that he actually did of note in the (checks notes) 7-8 YEARS he was with us 😂

Good luck to him, he did a lot better than I thought he would!

One area we should try to look at is contacting Crystal Palace, see if they've any youngsters that might work out.

Dougie Freedman's a local boy (well, Parkhouse), and is doing brilliantly as a DOF down there - unearths some right gems.

1 hour ago, baba douche said:

Christie Elliot, I still can't believe he got a full-length professional football career out of being really fast and a nice guy.

I can barely remember anything that he actually did of note in the (checks notes) 7-8 YEARS he was with us 😂

Good luck to him, he did a lot better than I thought he would!

He relegated Airdrie in 2013. 

1 hour ago, baba douche said:

One area we should try to look at is contacting Crystal Palace, see if they've any youngsters that might work out.

Dougie Freedman's a local boy (well, Parkhouse), and is doing brilliantly as a DOF down there - unearths some right gems.

Given our track record of loan signings from down south, I'd be terrified of any sort of partnership that lumps us with boys they don't deem good enough for English L1 or L2.