The Partick Thistle thread

19 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

TL;DR If no Dabrowski, Ferrie or Mullen but not 100% on any at this level. Mitchell is probably somewhere behind those three but far from the worst in the league.

Agreed. Unfortunately none of that trio were available this window and Josh Rae signed for St. Johnstone.

Saw Harry Stone at Ayr. Kieran Wright is kicking about Airdrie, with Murray Johnston who is rated highly, but they seem to have a wee thing with Hibs.

Edited by Smurph

20 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Not sure about the keeper at Livi as not seen much of them and not sure if their regular keeper was playing in the cup game.

Assuming you mean the cup game from last season, that was Michael McGovern who was brought in on loan as both Shamal George and Jack Hamilton were injured. McGovern is probably the worst goalkeeper I've ever seen, and I'm trying not to be dramatic but a blind infant would have done a better job.

George played in the cup game against Forfar on Saturday and is currently our first choice. He's a good keeper but seems to have a problem with injuries pretty often, and on top of that he was having some personal/family issues that would have (understandably) affected his performances last season. There was talk of him wanting a move down south to be closer to his family so I suppose we'll wait and see if he actually is our keeper for the season, if he is then he should be up there with the better keepers in the league.

Jerome Prior is more of an unknown quantity, but has played at a few different levels; French 1st and 2nd tier, Spanish 2nd tier, Polish 1st Tier, Greek 1st tier. Without seeing him properly though I've no idea if he's actually here to be first choice with George heading down south, or if they'll both challenge each other for that spot.

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Assuming you mean the cup game from last season, that was Michael McGovern who was brought in on loan as both Shamal George and Jack Hamilton were injured. McGovern is probably the worst goalkeeper I've ever seen, and I'm trying not to be dramatic but a blind infant would have done a better job.

George played in the cup game against Forfar on Saturday and is currently our first choice. He's a good keeper but seems to have a problem with injuries pretty often, and on top of that he was having some personal/family issues that would have (understandably) affected his performances last season. There was talk of him wanting a move down south to be closer to his family so I suppose we'll wait and see if he actually is our keeper for the season, if he is then he should be up there with the better keepers in the league.

Jerome Prior is more of an unknown quantity, but has played at a few different levels; French 1st and 2nd tier, Spanish 2nd tier, Polish 1st Tier, Greek 1st tier. Without seeing him properly though I've no idea if he's actually here to be first choice with George heading down south, or if they'll both challenge each other for that spot.

While you’re here - what’s going on with Miles Welch-Hayes?

16 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

While you’re here - what’s going on with Miles Welch-Hayes?

Free to leave, assume he and the club are just waiting for/considering offers.

16 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Not sure about the keeper at Livi as not seen much of them and not sure if their regular keeper was playing in the cup game.

We're in a weird spot where we expected Shamal to leave due to family issues, he wanted to be back down in Liverpool closer to his family this year. He started the cup game though. We brought in Prior who has played almost 30 games of Ligue 1 football in France and a decent bit more of Ligue 2 football, so it's a weird one. 

It's a spot where we've got two keepers that have strong arguments for being number 1 and could probably go to a few other teams in the league and comfortably be that - although Prior could end up being shite and that invalidates my comment before but for his experience level he should be solid.

Edit: ffs just seen it's been covered above

Edited by ATLIS

In June 2024, we were delighted to receive an e-mail from Nancy Hooman, the great-granddaughter of David Freebairn. With no previous photographs of our 19th century Jag, it was a real privilege to meet him at long last (click Partickle link for photo). David was one of three Freebairn brothers to play for Partick Thistle, the others being Archie and Willie. In Nancy's possession was an item to cherish - a Glasgow Cup medal from season 1900-01, inscribed in the name of WILLIAM FREEBAIRN (pictured below) of Partick Thistle FC, her great-granduncle. It's not something we'd ever have expected to see, given that Willie, who was in a critical condition and hospitalized at the time, didn't play in the cup final in question. In fact, it was his 80th and final goal for the Jags which took Thistle to just their second-ever Glasgow Cup final, but Willie died from his injuries sustained in the pursuit of glory for Partick Thistle. What a delight it's been to learn that Willie received a medal despite not appearing in the final, and that it exists to this day. Our latest Partickle shares the bittersweet tale of a parting gift…

A Parting Gift For Willie Freebairn →

freebairn.png

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Big Frédéric Frans was appointed head coach of Belgian 3rd tier club Koninklijke Sporting Hasselt during the summer.

Big team found.

Good luck to the lad.

12 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

In June 2024, we were delighted to receive an e-mail from Nancy Hooman, the great-granddaughter of David Freebairn. With no previous photographs of our 19th century Jag, it was a real privilege to meet him at long last (click Partickle link for photo). David was one of three Freebairn brothers to play for Partick Thistle, the others being Archie and Willie. In Nancy's possession was an item to cherish - a Glasgow Cup medal from season 1900-01, inscribed in the name of WILLIAM FREEBAIRN (pictured below) of Partick Thistle FC, her great-granduncle. It's not something we'd ever have expected to see, given that Willie, who was in a critical condition and hospitalized at the time, didn't play in the cup final in question. In fact, it was his 80th and final goal for the Jags which took Thistle to just their second-ever Glasgow Cup final, but Willie died from his injuries sustained in the pursuit of glory for Partick Thistle. What a delight it's been to learn that Willie received a medal despite not appearing in the final, and that it exists to this day. Our latest Partickle shares the bittersweet tale of a parting gift…

A Parting Gift For Willie Freebairn →

freebairn.png

Would love to read the story but my security suite says your certificate has expired and is a site for malware......