The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

A victory over Motherwell is what we need most surely 

Always want us to win but thanks to Tuesday night it will be a big ask especially as Fir Park is not a happy hunting ground for us.

I'd probably swap a win for a decent performance and a couple of signings over the line e for the start of the season.

I've bought enough merchandise already this season anyway 😆

ETA: I think Tuesday scrambled what was left if my brains and didn't even bother checking the table before posting.

Edited by Claudia Gentile
Daftness

15 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

What are you jibbering about? If we beat Motherwell in 90mins we’ll very likely go through as group winners. 

Not that I think we’ll manage that - but it wouldn’t just be “one for the record books”

Fair enough - Tuesday has hit me more than I thought 😆

18 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

What are you jibbering about? If we beat Motherwell in 90mins we’ll very likely go through as group winners. 

Not that I think we’ll manage that - but it wouldn’t just be “one for the record books”

Yep. If we win then Clyde would need to better whatever our win is by at least 2 goals.

And even if we won 1-0 and Clyde won 4-0, for example, there's a very good chance that 9 points and a +7 GD is enough for a best 2nd place.

I'd say it's unlikely we do beat Well as our record there is appalling, but if we win, we have a very strong chance of going through.

Edit to remove a % prediction which was probably nonsense.

Edited by Nightmare

We'll know by kick off on Sunday whether any win will take us through or if we have to win by multiple goals.

If Clyde win 3-0 then we need to win by 2 or more goals as the tie breaker after GD then GS is away goals and they have 8 to our 6 so if we won 1-0 we would finish behind them.

The runner up spot could be quite tightly contested. Ayr and Falkirk will be looking to run up the score so one of them could finish second with a high GD and Raith / QP / Airdrie all potentially in the mix to finish on 9 points and +7 or more GD

As everyone has said it's likely irrelevant as our record in Motherwell is third only to our records at Ibrox and Parkhead in terms of games played since a win.

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We'll know by kick off on Sunday whether any win will take us through or if we have to win by multiple goals.

Forgot about the advantage* we will have by knowing what we need to do vs Motherwell.

*not really an advantage because it's Motherwell v Partick Thistle at Fir Park and that means we will lose regardless of any other factors.

St Johnstone are keen to sign Hearts defender Lewis Neilson on loan and are one of several clubs chasing the versatile 21-year-old. They are looking to complete a deal for Neilson before the new William Hill Scottish Premiership season kicks off next weekend, although competition for his signature is fierce.

Not likely to return to Firhill then?

3 minutes ago, Bazza The Jag said:

St Johnstone are keen to sign Hearts defender Lewis Neilson on loan and are one of several clubs chasing the versatile 21-year-old. They are looking to complete a deal for Neilson before the new William Hill Scottish Premiership season kicks off next weekend, although competition for his signature is fierce.

Not likely to return to Firhill then?

I didn’t think we were even linked with him this season 

7 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Unlikely I think, Hearts would want him to go to a Premiership team or down South if he was going out on loan.

In any case it’s not a good move for him, at all. 

don’t see how him or hearts benefit from neilson being in a shitey defensive team that could very well change manager sooner than later.

his forward thinking style won’t even get a sniff under Levein. 

I thought at the start of last season Neilson was going to be a huge player for us, but as the season went on he regressed quite dramatically. Could maybe be put down to a lack of confidence. However in the two positions he played, I don't think he's aggressive enough to play CB and in CM I don't think he has the awareness of whats going on around him as he was probably culpable for good few goals towards the end of the season by losing runners from midfield.

That being said actually he did show flashes of what he can do with a great range of passing and he's very athletic, but unfortunately in both positions the work off the ball is probably more important than it is on it. 

Good luck to the lad I am by no means writing him off, Hopefully the year spent with us will pay off in the long run for him.

4 hours ago, The Kebab Pie said:

I thought at the start of last season Neilson was going to be a huge player for us, but as the season went on he regressed quite dramatically. Could maybe be put down to a lack of confidence. However in the two positions he played, I don't think he's aggressive enough to play CB and in CM I don't think he has the awareness of whats going on around him as he was probably culpable for good few goals towards the end of the season by losing runners from midfield.

That being said actually he did show flashes of what he can do with a great range of passing and he's very athletic, but unfortunately in both positions the work off the ball is probably more important than it is on it. 

Good luck to the lad I am by no means writing him off, Hopefully the year spent with us will pay off in the long run for him.

I think he is a right sided player, but we played him predominantly on the left. So, it is no wonder he didn’t shine.

1 hour ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

Cannot believe that it looks like we are gonna go into the game v Motherwell without a keeper being signed, suicide!

I suppose we don’t want to make a rushed Stewart type signing 

Cannot believe that it looks like we are gonna go into the game v Motherwell without a keeper being signed, suicide!

Surely you can sort of believe it. 

Don’t think that was our plan tbh. Pretty hard to get a signing of quality in within a few days.