The Partick Thistle thread

Dunno - we got Doolan and Erskine from West Prem level back in the day. We got McBeth from there last year. I don’t think it’s a bad proving ground - as long as they get regular games it’s a good and physical league, think good for development. So let’s see. 

17 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I believe it was Dexys Midnight Runners who sang "Turay Turay Turay Turay ay, lets hope he scores some goals down Benburb way".

Was that Tenpole Tudor - "Swords of a Thousand Men"?

Edited by TimBob

11 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Dunno - we got Doolan and Erskine from West Prem level back in the day. We got McBeth from there last year. I don’t think it’s a bad proving ground - as long as they get regular games it’s a good and physical league, think good for development. So let’s see. 

I don’t disagree that there are good players within those leagues, such as the ones we have signed over the years. I just believe that we could get our younger players better loan spells than we do.

If we look at the players who have made a genuine breakthrough into our first team following a loan spell, the loan was always at a decent level.
Stanway to Airdrie in League One, Sena to Montrose in League One, Penrice to East Fife in League One and then Livi in the Championship. Even as far back as Bannigan to Ayr in the 2nd Division.

Experience at the highest level that we can get young players seems to translate to being able to make a true impact on the first team.

Edited by R&Y99

Aye that's basically it, of course there are gems below league 2 but I think you're going back a long time since we loaned one of our own youth players to that sort of level and they've had any kind of impact when they return (if not freed at end of loan) 

12 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

I don’t disagree that there are good players within those leagues, such as the ones we have signed over the years. I just believe that we could get our younger players better loan spells than we do.

If we look at the players who have made a genuine breakthrough into our first team following a loan spell, the loan was always at a decent level.
Stanway to Airdrie in League One, Sena to Montrose in League One, Penrice to East Fife in League One and then Livi in the Championship. Even as far back as Bannigan to Ayr in the 2nd Division.

Experience at the highest level that we can get young players seems to translate to being able to make a true impact on the first team.

I did think myself that both these lads would maybe get a League club this year after spells in WOSL.

I'd suspect that maybe its a balancing act some of the teams in L2 might not have the budget to bring a lad in and also pay for travel expenses for training twice a week and a game at the weekend and with their lack of 1st team experience its a real gamble.

Both signed for teams pretty local still at a good level in the West Premiership. Would imagine they'd be able to match anything most of the L2 teams could pay as well. Both still young and never know a good 1st half of the season could maybe see them get a better loan come the 2nd half of the season

9 minutes ago, The Kebab Pie said:

I'd suspect that maybe its a balancing act some of the teams in L2 might not have the budget to bring a lad in and also pay for travel expenses for training twice a week and a game at the weekend and with their lack of 1st team experience it’s a real gamble

I’d suspect it’s much more likely that League Two sides know these guys are available, but have decided that they’re not of the required standard to be worth spending any money on, rather than just not having the money. 

25 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d suspect it’s much more likely that League Two sides know these guys are available, but have decided that they’re not of the required standard to be worth spending any money on, rather than just not having the money. 

That's why I used the words "it's a real gamble"

26 minutes ago, third lanark said:

A lot more money been introduced into this tournament this year.  

I think I remember reading this months back, a significant increase in prize money?

Money per round has gone up too.

Full schedule of prize money 

Winner – £100,000

Runner up – £60,000

Losing semi-finalists – £40,000

Losing quarter-finalists – £30,000

4th round losers – £20,000

3rd round losers – £15,000

2nd round losers – £10,000

1st round losers – £5,000

In addition, each club playing (whether home or away) in a live televised SPFL Trust Trophy on BBC ALBA will receive a facility fee payment of £1,500.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

18 hours ago, TimBob said:

Alloa at home in the SPFL Trust Trophy. Not seen Alloa for a long time - there might even have been a duffle coat on view.

Hopefully Conor Sammon wont come back to haunt us. (I think he is older than BBG?)