The Partick Thistle thread

Pretty much the single greatest moment in my time supporting Thistle - a near-full Firhill, a massive game to seal the title or leave it open for the next few games, and a wonderful winning goal to put Thistle well on the way. Thinking back, Andy Dowie's performance was overshadowed by that moment - he in particular dealt tremendously well with Morton's hoofball for the rest of the game - but what a moment that was.

edit: christ, just noticed that video was posted by Scott Cant... :(

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

That game was brilliant. North Stand was outstanding as Jimmy put the ball in the Morton net...

On the Craigen/Welsh debate I still reckon Welsh is our best midfielder - I'm going to assume that if he's kept on it will be because medical advice states that he's had a really bad run of injuries but there is nothing continuous underlying it. I'd love that to be the case, although I'm typing this more in hope than expectation...

Our medical diagnosis is a lot better now because iirc we now use Glasgow Uni facilities since Killie have moved elsewhere. This allowed us to use all the state of the art equipment and machines during preseason etc so might be the case with Welsh that there is decent hope of getting a good chunk of games out of him.

Sean Welsh is 25 years old and has (per soccerbase so unlikely to be 100% right) played 78 games in his professional career- i.e. less than 2 full seasons. Since promotion 2 seasons ago he's started 12 games.

The problem seems to be this blood disorder he has which means if he gets a kick in the calf or a knee in the thigh it takes him far longer (6 weeks , lol) to recover than most. I'm certainly no medical expert but that doesn't sound curable to me.

Even if he's fit I'm not sure he is a first pick ahead of Osman, Bannigan, or Stevenson. He'd be a good alternative option but unless we're offering an appearance based contract I'm surprised we're doing so.

As things stand I think we're looking at filling five starting places for next season, possibly four if Elliott is seen as a starter on the wing. I'm confident Lawless will sign on, not so confident about us getting Taylor but I hope we can. I'd like to see Lindsay start forcing his way into the side - so do we sign another centre-half that'll bump him down a place or do we go with Frans, Seaborne and Lindsay with Hendry as fourth-choice? Risky when you consider Seaborne seems to pick up injuries every four weeks or so.

Goalkeeper

Right-back – Frans – Seaborne – Booth

Osman – Bannigan

Winger – Stevenson – Winger

Striker

Subs: Scully, Lindsay, Fraser, Wilson, Elliott, McDaid, Doolan.

^ I don't think Wilson is signed up yet but agreed apart from that. I was expecting Duggan to be on the freed list although it wouldn't surprise me if he left of his own accord to get a game somewhere- if we sign another striker, whether Taylor or not, he's back to being 3rd choice when we only play one up front.

I don't really keep up to date with the u20s but there must be a few that go overage next season?

Archie saying in an interview on the OS that everyone (that we want to keep) has been offered a contract now, shouldn't be long before we hear their answer.

Seaborne's back in training, but won't be match fit obviously so won't be playing tommorow.

Archie in his PTTV interview has said that's all the players who are going to be offered deals been offered them and he reckons they should all be fairly quick and getting back with a yes or a no so I guess we'll get more signing (or not signing) news in the next week. Edit - beaten to it bt R&Y

Going by Slacker's post above we are in pretty decent shape before any of the out of contract players even agree deals. I expect some of them will sign up too meaning the club probably only need to make a handful of signings this summer. We have cover for most positions

GK - Scully, Waters (I'm assuming he's signed up) - needs improvement

RB - Elliott - need a RB

CB - Seaborne, Frans, Lindsay - need cover

LB - Booth, possibly Seaborne or Bannigan providing he's not up against Ainsworth

CM - Osman, Fraser, Bannigan Stevenson

AM - Stevenson, McDaid, Elliott - need wide players

ST- Doolan, Stevenson - need 1 more striker

Edited by Pie Of The Month

I don't really keep up to date with the u20s but there must be a few that go overage next season?

There are. I'll do a small round up of the Development Squad once I've finished eating this bag of Dortios.

Curiously, or sadly dependent on your viewpoint, 56 different players have played for the Development League side over the last two seasons.

There are. I'll do a small round up of the Development Squad once I've finished eating this bag of Dortios.

Curiously, or sadly dependent on your viewpoint, 56 different players have played for the Development League side over the last two seasons.

That really does beg the question...

What flavour of doritos?

Genuinely heartbroken by the Craigen news. Can only echo what others have said; not the best player but gave 100% and will be remembered forever for the goal against Morton.

In other news, as far as I'm aware, Lawless signed his contract on Wednesday.

I suspect next season will be Bannigan's last season at Thistle. He turns 23 and I think that means we don't get compensation for him.

Can't really argue with that if he goes really, we'll have had 4 full seasons of him playing every week including the promotion season.

The Development Squad has had an up and down campaign. In late 2014 they were dreadful and had pumpings off the likes of Hamilton Accies and Dunfermline. 2015 brought with it a more consistent selection and the team improved to finish in a respectable 7th place, up from the 13th placing the previous season. They finished ahead of the likes of Hearts, Dundee United and Motherwell with only Aberdeen, Hamilton, Celtic, Rangers, Falkirk and Hibernian finishing ahead of them. The Youth Cup was an absolute disaster losing 4-2 away to Spartans with George Hunter, now of St Johnstone fame, scoring all four goals against Thistle who trailed 4-0 with 10 minutes to go.

37 different players played for the side during the span of the year and it's probably best to break them down by categories.

FIRST TEAMERS/THE DEPARTED

Nathan Eccleston,Christie Elliott, Scott Fox, Gary Fraser, Kallum Higginbotham, Aaron Muirhead and Sean Welsh were all first teamers dropping down for fitness and are self explanatory as to where they are now.

Chris Dillon, Ryan Finnie, Dale Keenan and Ben Richards-Everton were announced on the released list.

Scott Basalaj left in February after failing to beat Marc Waters to the number one jersey.

Simon Colina was released in January, whilst being allowed training facilities if he wished so.

Lee Gallacher was released in January and joined Stenhousemuir where he has been getting first team football.

This age group was overage for the 2014/15 season.

Chris Duggan netted six goals in six Development League games whilst having loan spells with Queens Park and Dumbarton through large parts of the season. He has netted almost 20 goals over two seasons but has failed to match that scoring record in the lower leagues when the likes of Chris Kane(St Johnstone) have been netting. I don't think he'll be offered a deal.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Unknown. Ptfc.co.uk simply stated a new contract had been signed last summer. I'd imagine it was a one year deal.

David Wilson has featured more around the first team in recent months. He's been fairly impressive in midfield this season and may have won himself a one year first team deal.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Summer 2015

This age group will become overage for the 2015/16 season(assuming same rules).

Jack Hendry began the season as a trialist in the victory over Rangers on the opening day. Like most of the squad he started slowly but has grown as the year went on, clearly benefiting from playing alongside the more experience BRE. He's the same age as Lindsay but not as good so I don't think he'll be retained.

Liam Lindsay had a good first half of the season with the Development Squad before spending the second half of the season out on loan to Airdrieonians. I've been impressed with the towering defender and I think anyone who saw the Dundee United game in January saw a small glimpse of his potential. I think he has a chance of making it and I'd have him as CB #3/4 for the season ahead.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Summer 2016

Declan McDaid is perhaps a little unfortunate not to be classed as a first teamer since he's played a lot for the first team. Everyone knows his potential so I won't say too much here.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Summer 2017

Jordan Leyden has had a good season with the Dev Squad playing in a deeper role than many are used to seeing him play. He bagged five goals and has shown good leadership over the last season. He's played 46 Development League games already and I expect we'll be seeing him increase that total next season.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Unknown. Presumed Summer 2015

Marc Waters won the Player of the Year award for the team with a string of good performances. He's undoubtedly the number one goalkeeper at this level and I have no doubts he will get a new deal. I think he'll go out on loan in January for first team experience.

All players listed at this age group are assumed contract expiries of summer 2015 unless otherwise stated.

Connor Cullen joined Thistle from Celtic last summer. Has been understudy to Marc Waters for long patches of the season but has played four games in the closing spell of the season. Has already signed a new one year deal.

Dominic Docherty joined Thistle from Hibs. Excellent midfielder who was unlucky to be beaten to the POTY. He has a really good chance of making it.

Corey Irvine is a Thistle Weir graduate and still plays for the 17s. He appears to lack confidence at the moment, a true belief that he should be playing at this level, but I'm sure that will come with more games. It's hard to know where he plays as he has filled a number of different roles.

Blair Malcolm played one game for Thistle against St Mirren in September and hasn't been seen since. He played as a right back.

Matthew McInally is the number 1 right back, beating out even Ryan Finnie in the later stages of the season. Reminds me of a young O'Donnell with his defensive flaws being made up by an energetic encouraging attacking performances. He scored a hat-trick against Hamilton whilst occupying a left wing slot.

Dominic McLaren is a tall defender who has had an injury hit season. Don't think he'll be here next season as he apparently wants to go overseas.

Michael McMullin has had a frustrating season following a cycle of start games > get injured > lose confidence > struggle as a sub > start games. He'll probably have to occupy a more advanced role than he would like to get a game given the emerging performances of James Penrice.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Summer 2016(Modern Apprentice)

Kevin Nisbet had a good start to the season, scoring a hat-trick against Falkirk before going on a barren run. He got in good positions but just couldn't score. Went out on loan to East Stirling, got confidence and came back a different player. The natural successor to Duggan at this level.

All players listed at this age group are assumed contract expiries of summer 2015 unless otherwise stated.

Danny Bonar appeared in a few games towards the end of the season, playing as an advanced midfielder. He has netted almost 30 goals for the Under 17s so can clearly find the net and I'd imagine he'll be part of the squad next season.

Mark Lamont is a left winger. He linked up well with Penrice on his limited showings at Development League level.

Andrew McCarthy is an advanced midfielder and has adapted to Development League level with no problems. He is one who can go far and it will be exciting to see his progress next season.

Neil McLaughlin is a tireless hard working striker(not to dissimilar to James Grady). He went a long spell in the season without scoring but when he got one the goals started rolling in for him. He's appeared mainly as a substitute through the season.

Paul Miller played against Motherwell in March when we won 2-1. Will play with 17s for another year I'd imagine.

James Penrice is a left back with huge promise. He's strong and confident with a willingness to go forward. He obviously still has a lot to learn but I'd imagine he will be first choice left back for the Development Squad next season.

Zack Simpson appeared as a late substitute in the win over Motherwell to gain experience. Think he'll be remaining with the 17s for another year.

Callum Wilson appeared as a late substitute against Motherwell. He doesn't turn 16 until June so it's almost certain he'll be remaining with the 17s next season.