The Partick Thistle thread

If Bannigan signs another contract it's a miracle. Hopefully we can manage Fraser's ego so that his transition into Bannigan's position goes smoothly, because I don't think Fraser will be playing many games next season unless Bannigan gets injured.

I've always thought, and still do think, that Fraser will go on to have the better career but there's no doubt that Bannigan has been better this season. Hopefully Fraser can come back to the form he showed in the first few games as he was outstanding but has been a bit meh since his injury.

Bannigan had the benefit of getting first team experience at Ayr and us in the lower leagues.

Gary Fraser has been dropped in at the top level and has to compete with Bannigan and Osman. He could maybe benefit from game time on loan spell at some diddy Championship outfit like Hibs or St Mirren.

I remember watching our first game back in the premier league, Fraser was the only new signing that started, he was outstanding and I was absolutely gutted that Bolton had managed to sign him before we had.

Genuinely heartbroken by the Craigen news. Can only echo what others have said; not the best player but gave 100% and will be remembered forever for the goal against Morton.

In other news, as far as I'm aware, Lawless signed his contract on Wednesday.

if true about lawless that is good news any idea length of his new contract

This age group will become overage for the 2015/16 season(assuming same rules).

Jack Hendry began the season as a trialist in the victory over Rangers on the opening day. Like most of the squad he started slowly but has grown as the year went on, clearly benefiting from playing alongside the more experience BRE. He's the same age as Lindsay but not as good so I don't think he'll be retained.

CONTRACT EXPIRY: Summer 2015

Cracking update, SLJ.

Interested to see that you think Hendry will be cut loose in the summer. I'd heard from regular U20 game attendees that he was promising and noted that he made the bench for the Killie game last week. Have only seen him once early on this season and thought he looked decent; that said, I was pretty surprised to see Darren Brownlie released last year having been quite impressed whenever I'd watched him.

Cracking update, SLJ.

Interested to see that you think Hendry will be cut loose in the summer. I'd heard from regular U20 game attendees that he was promising and noted that he made the bench for the Killie game last week. Have only seen him once early on this season and thought he looked decent; that said, I was pretty surprised to see Darren Brownlie released last year having been quite impressed whenever I'd watched him.

Jack Hendry is a good defender. He has certainly progressed well from the start of the season and has become the commanding leader in the defence. Indeed, I think he is the reason we lost the last game of the season against Rangers. He was suspended and while the pairing of Keenan and McLaren did alright, we missed his leadership and determination to go and head the ball. He's a good threat from set pieces, very vocal and confident.

However, he is overage. You can only field five overagers per game. If we retain Lindsay, Wilson and McDaid that's three players who could be playing semi regular DL football next season to maintain fitness levels. Add in Sean Welsh for a run of games to potentially get himself back fit and your quota, with Hendry, is full. That's without taking into consideration Archie bringing in the 2015/16 version of "BRE", or allowing Gary Fraser to play.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him sign a new contract for next season, as while I don't think he'll be good enough for Premiership level in the next couple of years, he could be a good player to help bring on the younger players. I think, similar to Darren Brownlie, he'll be released because he's overage for the Development League.

^ You obviously think that the club will risk offering Welsh a new deal. IMHO he would have to prove his fitness in pre-season training and friendlies first. The manager's press comments indicate that his budget will not increase much if at all. With a small senior squad, he can't risk losing a player for the whole season again.

If Hendry is a genuine prospect, it would be reasonable to offer him a deal and send him out on loan. IIRC he can play for the U20s whilst on loan. Airdrie are obviously keen to take our defenders on loan. Ayr, with McCall and John Henry in charge, is another obvious option.

Seemed clear from Archie's interviews today that Higgy, Fox, O'Donnell and Balatoni will be leaving along with those announced earlier in the week. I'll raise a glass to them at tonight's PotY while hopefully avoiding the fawning associated with these events. Doesn't feel dignified for a 30-plus man to indulge in cringeworthy displays of reverence but I doubt I'll be able to stop myself.

Edited by Nizzy

Think we'll really miss Higgy, despite his up and down season, Lawless and him have a load of assists between them this year. That said, if McDaid continues to gain experience in the first team, then he may be an ideal replacement.

Also, after today's game, and I know it was end of season fare, Ben Richards-Everton looked pretty decent. I hope we haven't made a mistake letting him go.