The Partick Thistle thread

could someone explain why Motherwell and Kilmarnock have significantly more money than we do.

Without sounding like a dick, we're a bigger team with bigger crowds who've consistently finished above you and played in Europe apart from one dreadful season. Added to that, we generally sell a player or two for a few hundred thousand each season which gives us more room for manoeuvers with transfers than Thistle.

They have about twice the gates. We get 3-5K a home game and they get 6-9k. This is one reason but one of the fairly more significant ones. Twice the money coming in to the club. They don't have to pay that much more, but as I said earlier on a post a 100-200 sheets a week can make the difference.

Utter nonsense and that's not even addressing the fact that our overall crowd figures will dramatically increase next season.

I wouldn't say they are. They've enjoyed a ridiculous run of good fortune to stay in the Premier as long as they have as well as spending money they didn't have. If we'd finished as high up in the league as much as they have and played in Europe, I dare say our crowds would be a fair bit better than the crowds they got.

I wouldn't say they are. They've enjoyed a ridiculous run of good fortune to stay in the Premier as long as they have as well as spending money they didn't have. If we'd finished as high up in the league as much as they have and played in Europe, I dare say our crowds would be a fair bit better than the crowds they got.

You're wrong. They are.

Utter nonsense and that's not even addressing the fact that our overall crowd figures will dramatically increase next season.

Motherwell have bigger average crowds than us and can get 7k when playing a derby or the old firm. Plus they haven't languished in lower leagues like we have. Which means more stable attendances year on year. Our attendances have been lower and there is no arguing this fact.

http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/Scottish_Premiership_2014-2015/Stats/Home_Avg_Atte/

I do agree there is no doubt teams like Killie and Motherwell have seen big dips in gates in home matches in last few years (so I confess my numbers slightly inflated) but as far as I'm aware they'll make more money every week. we as a club are not willing to pay over the odds for a player. That's just reality. I am sure we all agree it is shrewd from the board to concentrate on the academy and investing in youth.

Almost all clubs in the top flight will have more dough to throw around than we do. Ross County may be the exception to that rule. But I can't think of any other team with less. I've mentioned many times before why Saints, the Dons, ICT etc. all have bigger budgets. It helps being the only team in your city and/or region.

We get to compete against the east end and south side orcs for supporters and it will forever be a challenge.

Sorry there's a difference between paying over the odds and paying what the market demands.

I absolutely disagree with your statement that Kilmarnock( as your example) will have more matchday income but even if it were true, have you factored in the cost of relegation when justifying the club's unwillingness to compete financially with those clubs of a similar or smaller size in the league?

We can all accept the reality of our finances but some factors have changed which will alleviate the situation and should be taken into account when our budget is set for the season ahead.

The league now has sponsorship

The club itself has increased sponsorship

Our average attendance will be significantly increased on last season's

My fear Is that our forthcoming budget has been set on the basis of last season's income.

There's nothing really that I can see that the club have done horrendously wrong this summer so far. Certainly nothing to merit threats of withholding season ticket money or the like.

Fox - Wanted a better deal based on an inflated sense of self worth. Archie clearly thought he could do better for similar money and most fans would probably agree it looks like, on paper at least, he has by bringing in Cerny as a replacement.

Higginbotham - Apparently one of our top earners, does the last season justify him being one of our top earners? Probably not so good luck to him if he can get better money elsewhere as he certainly didn't deserve it here.

O'Donnell - Was always going to leave and got a move to England, I don't think there's much the club could've done there.

Pre-season training hasn't even started yet and 2 players who should go straight into the first team in Cerny and Booth have been signed, it's hardly time to get upset because Kilmarnock or Ross County decided 2 of our players were worth more in wages than our club did.

The club budgets to break even and for the past couple of years they seemingly have, even without taking anything else into consideration like other clubs getting better crowds than us do we really want to go down the same route as for example Motherwell who lost close to £200k according to their 13/14 accounts?

Edited by Pie Of The Month