The Partick Thistle thread

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I would have expected to get a decent lump sum. Are termination pay-offs are tax free? If so, there could have been a negotiated settlement to save us money. 

To Mitch Austin, I'd add Coulibaly, Storer, Ntambwe and Mutombo. We can't afford another window of costly mistakes. 

No.

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Not sure why Brechin have been treated differently from the other clubs ?

First of all, can I just say as a Clyde fan I think you have been pretty hard done by. I had my wee laugh and stuff but it’s definitely very unfair. Shawfield Shed Boy doesn’t speak for all of us, he’s just a dafty with too much time on his hands.

Brechin haven’t been treated differently. They haven’t been relegated because no play offs are taking place and they don’t occupy an automatic relegation spot. The play off’s (with Kelty and Brora playing off in the semi and the winner facing Brechin in the final) can’t go ahead due to player contract issues amongst many other reasons, so they’ve been cancelled.

It's a mixture of desperately unlucky and disappointingly shite.

With our budget we should never have been bottom of the Championship in March, so we can blame ourselves and our horrible Chairwoman/previous manager (current manager too albeit to a lesser extent) for that.

But to get relegated by 0.037 points, to a league that might not even take place next season, having been the only team to have played Dundee United four times, and with our game in hand being against Inverness CT who we had already taken maximum points from, is unlucky. But I just don't see how it's in any way illegal

38 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

To Mitch Austin, I'd add Coulibaly, Storer, Ntambwe and Mutombo. We can't afford another window of costly mistakes. 

Couldn’t agree more, and I’ll throw in, Ally Roy, and Cammy Bell, into that list of misfits.

Edited by JagsCG

11 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Couldn’t agree more, and I’ll throw in, Ally Roy, and Cammy Bell, into that list of misfits.

Without knowing the details of any contracts, I can’t imagine we were paying Ally Roy very much. 

If we’re just listing players we’ve had recently who were shite then “all of them, except Scott McDonald” should probably suffice.

51 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

So do  we continue to pay the terminated players (make up the difference) if they can't get the same or better wages at their new clubs?

A few of them dropped down to a lower level, e.g. Slater, after leaving us.

You asked if severance payments were tax free. Obviously they aren't. They are employment income. They are taxed.

What you pay someone in a severance package is whatever is stipulated in their contract or whatever you agree instead for an early termination. Either way tax falls due.

49 minutes ago, Slacker said:

It's a mixture of desperately unlucky and disappointingly shite.

With our budget we should never have been bottom of the Championship in March, so we can blame ourselves and our horrible Chairwoman/previous manager (current manager too albeit to a lesser extent) for that.

But to get relegated by 0.037 points, to a league that might not even take place next season, having been the only team to have played Dundee United four times, and with our game in hand being against Inverness CT who we had already taken maximum points from, is unlucky. But I just don't see how it's in any way illegal

This.

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Without knowing the details of any contracts, I can’t imagine we were paying Ally Roy very much. 

If we’re just listing players we’ve had recently who were shite then “all of them, except Scott McDonald” should probably suffice.

Ally Roy had an 18 month contract that was axed after 6 month. That would have been a cost to cancel it surely. And Bell had a 2 year contract that was cancelled after a year. 
I take the point on Scott McDonald being the only really good player we’ve had in 2 season though. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

First of all, can I just say as a Clyde fan I think you have been pretty hard done by. I had my wee laugh and stuff but it’s definitely very unfair. Shawfield Shed Boy doesn’t speak for all of us, he’s just a dafty with too much time on his hands.

Brechin haven’t been treated differently. They haven’t been relegated because no play offs are taking place and they don’t occupy an automatic relegation spot. The play off’s (with Kelty and Brora playing off in the semi and the winner facing Brechin in the final) can’t go ahead due to player contract issues amongst many other reasons, so they’ve been cancelled.

They have though because every other season teams have had the pressure of a relegation play off to play - Brechin didn’t.

Regarding Falkirk - appreciate your comments mate. We should have been good enough to win the league, we will never know if we would have been over a full season, but the decision was made and fair play to Raith.

29 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

You asked if severance payments were tax free. Obviously they aren't. They are employment income. They are taxed.

What you pay someone in a severance package is whatever is stipulated in their contract or whatever you agree instead for an early termination. Either way tax falls due.

I understood your earlier point on tax and was then asking about what the terms of termination would be. I'll leave it there.

26 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Apparently SPFL have asked bottom 2 tier clubs what their plans are for next season. When they can start or are they going to hibernate fir the campaign. Talk of merging the leagues for 1 year for clubs who want to play.

Whisper it 'lowland league'. 

37 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Apparently SPFL have asked bottom 2 tier clubs what their plans are for next season. When they can start or are they going to hibernate fir the campaign. Talk of merging the leagues for 1 year for clubs who want to play.

It's like football games used to be when you were a kid.  Turn up at the pitch and see how many people do.  Maybe it's 3, maybe it's 40.  Any chance of cuppy doubles?

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

They have though because every other season teams have had the pressure of a relegation play off to play - Brechin didn’t.

I don't think the original comment was asking why Brechin have been treated differently than every other club that's finished bottom of League 2 since relegation play-offs were introduced. I took it as why are Brechin not being condemned to the league below like Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer. Maybe I'm wrong, apologies if so.

3 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Unless its changed is there not some thing about the first £30,000 being tax free?

I mind it being a pain in the arse when i was working in student finance because we classed it as a taxable income source for determining student maintenance entitlement, but people would often complain because they never actually paid tax on it.

Edit: ahhhh, i had a wee google out of curioisity, rings a bell that it was redundancy. Wont apply to Miller i guess

https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/the-redundancy-myth-ta

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

10 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

How much Turnover will be in league 1 with an October or January start ?
I guess that is how the compensation figure is worked out.

It was not reasonably foreseeable that the Championship would return in October but that League One wouldn’t when the matter was considered in April.