The Partick Thistle thread

5 minutes ago, Midlife Crisis said:

More question marks around McCall if he is trying to convince Cardle to stay on. Contributed hee haw in his stay at Firhill. Can’t believe some fans want him to stay. Presumably those same fans who also wanted Robson to stay because he had a good 20 minutes last season.

I took it as, he was currently discussing his contract, wage etc. not he’s been convinced to stay on, more like they’ve past that stage. Cardle in League 1, imo, is a backup player and no more, because he’s a bit past it and doesn’t really have the legs anymore, he has the heart but not the ability. Also assumed we would be playing a 3-5-2 more often than not, and Cardle doesn’t suit that. 

Not bothered about the other players that have left/leaving either. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Being reported that United, Raith and Cove are splitting the £50k fee between them.

Truly a life changing amount of money for Raith to be spending. I cannot see how you can survive such a fatal blow.

We are reporting £25K

13 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

The sum of £25000 was mentioned on page 27 of the bulletin.

Legal Costs.PNG

Without even considering how not bothered he looked last season, can't see where cardle would fit in to what appeared to be McCall's favoured formation with us anyway. Those releases mean we are probably looking at, as a minimum, a gk, 3 defenders, one of whom should be able to play full and centre back, a central midfielder, 2 wingers and a creative midfielder as a minimum for the start of the season

Think this is unfair as regards bothering. Cardle always seemed to be trying, sometimes too much.

But he’s not one I’d be looking to keep on.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

It would be a bit hypocritical to propose a structure that only penalises one club in the league, don’t you think.

You not think that hearts would quite happily do that if they got to stay in premiership ?? The 14-10-10-10 would never have passed as most teams in  bottom 6 would lose 300-500k per season due to less tv money, lower crowds, less hospitality etc 

12-12-10-10 would solve 80% of relegation/promotion complaints 

18 minutes ago, flood said:

You not think that hearts would quite happily do that if they got to stay in premiership ?? The 14-10-10-10 would never have passed as most teams in  bottom 6 would lose 300-500k per season due to less tv money, lower crowds, less hospitality etc 

Hearts would still have been Entitled to compensation in a 12-12-10-10 though? 

33 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Think this is unfair as regards bothering. Cardle always seemed to be trying, sometimes too much.

But he’s not one I’d be looking to keep on.

Cardle always put heart, Desire and effort into everything, but his overall ability and quality isn’t there. I was shocked to see him linked with a move back to Dunfermline, i think even League 1 regular may be a bit above his station, I wouldn’t keep him on, but if we did, surely it would be as a backup option and not on High wages. 

Edited by JagsCG

We probably should have looked at 12-12-10-10 as an option, but I’d guess it would still have met opposition as it would be splitting the prize money 44 ways instead of 42, and especially from League One clubs who would lose the gate money from Thistle and Falkirk.

I’d assume it would have been closer to passing than the 14-10-10-10 model, particularly because it wouldn’t have seen Budge in the media vociferously trying to tell everyone how to vote every day, but still not sure it would have passed. We definitely should have thrown the idea out though... and maybe we did, but have never heard it mentioned.

2 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

More question marks around McCall if he is trying to convince Cardle to stay on. Contributed hee haw in his stay at Firhill. Can’t believe some fans want him to stay. Presumably those same fans who also wanted Robson to stay because he had a good 20 minutes last season.

Yep. Poor signings, extending the contracts of shitebags who don’t deserve it, and not much improvement on the pitch either since Caldwell. He’s been a big disappointment so far, and bringing back Cardle next year would be another negative contribution imo.

Maybe so. I still think it would be hypocritical.

On 02/07/2020 at 18:26, Uncle Psychosis said:

Plus, a more nuanced take on proceedings would require said journos to actually understand the case. Given that most of them struggle to get the names of players right, the odds of them understanding a potentially complex legal argument based on the intersection of SFA/SPFL articles of association and competition law is about as likely as me waking up with Scarlett Johansson tomorrow. 

How did you get on? 

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

We probably should have looked at 12-12-10-10 as an option, but I’d guess it would still have met opposition as it would be splitting the prize money 44 ways instead of 42, and especially from League One clubs who would lose the gate money from Thistle and Falkirk.

I’d assume it would have been closer to passing than the 14-10-10-10 model, particularly because it wouldn’t have seen Budge in the media vociferously trying to tell everyone how to vote every day, but still not sure it would have passed. We definitely should have thrown the idea out though... and maybe we did, but have never heard it mentioned.

I'd have thought 12-12-10-10 would have removed the obvious stumbling block of the 11-1 supermajority at Premiership level since it doesn't really impact them much (or at all - number of fixtures stay the same, there's no change to play-off/relegation configuration, prize money stays the same, relegation risk stays the same). It wouldn't have been much of a surprise if the Premiership clubs would have looked at that shrugged and waved it through. It seems far more palatable compared to some of the stuff Budge was suggesting.

Remove that issue and I'd have thought it'd become a bit more manageable politically - obviously it'd need Hearts to take one for the team but looking at the drop in prize money (based on 18/19) from 10th in Championship to 1st and 2nd in League 1 it's £175k for 10th, £125k for 1st and £107.5k for 2nd - compare that with the drop off from £1.125m for 12th in the Premiership to £475k for 2nd in the Championship which is where a lot of the 'kEep Teh PriZe MoNey teH sAmE' shouts fell down.

Bringing another 2 teams in to League 2 might have cost an extra £80k-£100k in prize money. Again, that seems like it'd have been doable. I mean clubs and the SPFL have probably run up a bill close to that already in litigation.

Ultimately I don't think it was ever mentioned because this whole shitshow has been driven by Budge to the point that she was handed a "task force" to come up with viable solutions and Hearts being relegated didn't suit her so...f**k considering a solution that suited the vast majority of clubs.

Edited by capt_oats

To be honest I've struggled to get too hard about the whole affair. League One is ultimately where we were going and where we deserve to be after a sustained two and a half years of failure and shitebaggery at all levels of the club - the odd player cull announcement is the most I've celebrated as a Thistle fan in that time. 

The club is in dire need of a bit of momentum and isn't going to get that in the Championship with Low at the helm and new contracts being dished out to the likes of Penrice and O'Ware. With or without the advantage of a compensation payment we should be approaching next season with nothing less than the objective of a comfortable promotion - if we can secure that great; otherwise, there should be a sufficient enough level of poison in the atmosphere for Low, Britton and any other layer of failed management to be hounded out the club and start afresh from there, which is good enough for me. 

7 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Hearts would still have been Entitled to compensation in a 12-12-10-10 though? 

Only Hearts think they are due compensation.

They have been shit for 18 months and deserve nothing but relegation 

7 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The difference would be at the bottom in league  2. Premiership same. Championship bottom 2 would lose a few thousand, rest same

However, championship finances would be improved due to Partick, and Falkirk joining.

In my honest opinion the current championship 10 plus Partick Thistle and Falkirk would be a fabulous league 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'd have thought 12-12-10-10 would have removed the obvious stumbling block of the 11-1 supermajority at Premiership level since it doesn't really impact them much (or at all - number of fixtures stay the same, there's no change to play-off/relegation configuration, prize money stays the same, relegation risk stays the same). It wouldn't have been much of a surprise if the Premiership clubs would have looked at that shrugged and waved it through. It seems far more palatable compared to some of the stuff Budge was suggesting.

Remove that issue and I'd have thought it'd become a bit more manageable politically - obviously it'd need Hearts to take one for the team but looking at the drop in prize money (based on 18/19) from 10th in Championship to 1st and 2nd in League 1 it's £175k for 10th, £125k for 1st and £107.5k for 2nd - compare that with the drop off from £1.125m for 12th in the Premiership to £475k for 2nd in the Championship which is where a lot of the 'kEep Teh PriZe MoNey teH sAmE' shouts fell down.

Bringing another 2 teams in to League 2 might have cost an extra £80k-£100k in prize money. Again, that seems like it'd have been doable. I mean clubs and the SPFL have probably run up a bill close to that already in litigation.

Ultimately I don't think it was ever mentioned because this whole shitshow has been driven by Budge to the point that she was handed a "task force" to come up with viable solutions and Hearts being relegated didn't suit her so...f**k considering a solution that suited the vast majority of clubs.

All other clubs, apart from hearts, would have no problem with 12-12-10-10

Budge was only interested in hearts staying in premiership. She has no interest in any other club.

Only hearts as they now say.........