The Partick Thistle thread

He's been so good we've signed another right back after 6 games to replace him.

Mustupha has probably done more good things in one match on the right than A moo and Miller have done all season :(

Mustupha has probably done more good things in one match on the right than A moo and Miller have done all season :(

But unfair on Miller, who's been solid defensively. Which, for a defender, is quite important.

Edited by dave.j

I don't think Miller has done much wrong, we were never going to replace O'Donnell and his importance to the way we play so at the time I thought Archie done the right thing in bringing in a solid dependable right back.

It's just became apparent how much we miss O'Donnell's contribution further up the pitch and therefore have brought in Dumbuya who based on yesterday is a lot more comfortable going forward than Miller. I still think they'll both play a part, there'll be games this season where having Miller in if we go more defensive will be the better option.

What's really apparent to me and probably every other club in the league that have us watched before they play us is that the left side of our defence (Lindsay/booth) is really inexperienced and get caught out over the top far too often... I'm Amazed how long Archie has stuck with this... IMO The only way Lindsay can play and develop is if he is left of a back 3 where he has plenty of cover and also has a wing back to help him out. I don't think the boy is a bad player I just think it's a massive step up for him and he needs experience around him not just 1 other centre half..... Any thoughts?

I'd like to see us go 3-5-2 as soon as Dumbaya's up to speed. He doesn't look too far off it on yesterday's showing.

Cerny

Frans Seaborne Lindsay

Dumbaya [Fraser/Welsh] Osman Bannigan Booth

[Doolan/Pogba]/[Muirhead/Stevenson/Lawless]

My concern about 3-5-2/5-3-2 is that pretty much all of our midfielders play the ball square almost all the time. Removing the player in behind the front, I suspect, will just leave an even bigger space between the midfield and the front-line.

That formation made sense when McCall was manager and we needed the defensive protection to make-up for having a geriatric defensive back-line, but the real reason we don't create chances is that our midfielders sit too deep. Our overwhelming threat since McNamara became manager has been wing-backs pelting and wingers cutting-inside.

My concern about 3-5-2/5-3-2 is that pretty much all of our midfielders play the ball square almost all the time. Removing the player in behind the front, I suspect, will just leave an even bigger space between the midfield and the front-line.

That formation made sense when McCall was manager and we needed the defensive protection to make-up for having a geriatric defensive back-line, but the real reason we don't create chances is that our midfielders sit too deep. Our overwhelming threat since McNamara became manager has been wing-backs pelting and wingers cutting-inside.

If we were to go with the lineup nizzy has posted, then I'd imagine that one of Muirhead/Stevenson/Lawless would naturally sit deeper than Doolan/Pogba and could themselves act as the link.

Also think that sooner or later we'll need to give Gary Fraser game time, he's got the best range of passing at the club IMO and also the only centre midfielder who consistently looks to get it forward quickly. He has his shortcomings obviously, and he really needs to stop shooting from 40+ yards every single game he plays, but I think he's worth a shot.

Nevertheless, 3-5-2 or even a kind of 3-5-1-1 must be worth a go, since what we're doing at the moment clearly isn't working. I've not been to many games this season, but I haven't seen us create a proper chance yet which is absolutely depressing in the extreme.

We created plenty against Dundee ( first half at least) and had some great attacking play, the buildup to one of Doolans chances was superb. I'm more worried about our defence tbh, we gave Dundee several chances with dodgy defending, and no attempt was made at all to stop Stewart strolling into the box.

We created plenty against Dundee ( first half at least) and had some great attacking play, the buildup to one of Doolans chances was superb. I'm more worried about our defence tbh, we gave Dundee several chances with dodgy defending, and no attempt was made at all to stop Stewart strolling into the box.

You should never let Greg Stewart get near the box on his left foot. I'd have thought teams would have all figured this out by now, but thank f**k they haven't.

I thought the 'my drink was spiked' seemed an awful excuse but he's saying someone owned up to it and were charged over it. Seems strange that this wouldn't be considered by the people banning him.

Feel sorry for him how much this has affected his life even if he did do it, 2 years seems excessive.