The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I'm surprised Ngwenya has decided he's happy going in behind Milne, who he's got absolutely no chance of supplanting. I think he showed enough last year to demonstrate that he's good enough to play Championship football. He never looked out of place when he got time on the park, but he was very much second fiddle to Liam Dick, and Milne is twice the player Dick is.

He never asked, but if I was advising him I'd have said Thistle is the last place he should go. At his age and ability, he needs to be starting games every week. 

For Thistle though, it's an excellent capture. He's not going to win Player of the Year, but I think he's about as good as you'll get as an undisputed back up.

I'd say that he's demonstrated the basic requirements for playing at Championship level without actually ever really putting all the bits together and putting in a performance.

He's pacy, he's strong and can tackle, but he's either rash or naive as he got rinsed by more than one average Champ level winger last season due to poor positioning or diving in. Going forward, his deliveries were basically useless, and consisted of a flat low side foot delivery that landed at the feet of every grateful centre back in the league.

There is a reason Dick - who may as well have 6/10 engraved on his tombstone - kept him out. 

25 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I doubt loans or free agents are likely to cost a fortune 

Why? Loans you tend to be paying 50% of wages, usually. Free agents take a signing on fee, as well as their salary. All stacks up.

3 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Presumably a more competent right back replacement than Williams too. 

Ngwenya? Seems to be totally left-sided.

We need a modern day Bobby Law, type.

3 minutes ago, baba douche said:

I'd rather have the younger model thanks, Bobby ain't as mobile these days.

Yeah, that's why I said we need a modern day version m8.

Just now, Reid said:

Pretty sure he played RB against us in the second half in the last game of the season and was solid.

Transfermarkt implying he played left-back.

Screenshot_20230810_195617_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b217176540f054d11d92d49681bbfd68.jpg

I'd be happy enough if he can cover LCB, in a 3 at the back. 

37 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Unless anything changes I reckon that will probably be us done in the transfer market. Quite surprised Ngwenya turned down Ayr and Arbroath to sit on our bench but he should be a very adequate backup for Milne. 

Another CB is needed at least 

46 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Only way I see us signing another is if we beat Hearts next Sunday. I still feel we are too short at centre half with only 3 natural cb’s in the squad.

With the money we have you will never be strong in all areas of the pitch.

Doolin has gone for the Barcelona, they can't score if we are in their half and attacking. Just need more goals than them. Was obvious towards the end of last season.

They were a liability last season, may as well get cheap liabilities.

24 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Another CB is needed at least 

Don’t necessarily disagree but I don’t see it happening. I think we’ll go with the 3 + Jack who can cover, unless anyone gets a major injury before the window shuts and forces our hand. Suppose there’s still one more loan place that we could use though.

12 minutes ago, El Gringo Jag said:

With the money we have you will never be strong in all areas of the pitch.

Doolin has gone for the Barcelona, they can't score if we are in their half and attacking. Just need more goals than them. Was obvious towards the end of last season.

They were a liability last season, may as well get cheap liabilities.

This, the play-offs were pretty much 'baws oot' fitba, and the Raith game looked the same, to our eventual detriment 

15 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Don’t necessarily disagree but I don’t see it happening. I think we’ll go with the 3 + Jack who can cover, unless anyone gets a major injury before the window shuts and forces our hand. Suppose there’s still one more loan place that we could use though.

kinda agree but I reckon we'd be more likely to play Milne as an emergency CB. Still comfortable on the ball and can head the ball pretty far, plus doesn't disrupt the Lawless/McMillan partnership down the right that works well for getting us into the opposition penalty area a lot of the time.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely