The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, enrili said:

Doolan is certainly a fan favorite, but he doesn't seem to be able to make it in a managerial position.

I'm not sure what this is based upon. Very early days to make any conclusive judgement on whether Doolan is a good manager or not, but the facts are presently: Doolan has been in charge for 28 competitive games. During that time, his record is W15, D9, L4. This at the very least shows promise.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

This obsession with Doolan and fan ownership is that bad it's making me miss the weird St Mirren fan on here who came to our pre-season games in Spain when we were in the Premiership. 

He still posts every so often in our threads after a Jags loss. I don’t think anyone has reacted in any way to him for about 3 years. A tragic wee guy.

And yeah, this “East Fife fan” is definitely trending in that direction. Pathetic nonsense contributions which are best ignored.

4 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

St Mirren lost 1.5 m last year , Motherwell circa 1m loss- not sure that is sustainable -do hope so…..

Yet Morton made a profit, something which had only happened once in the preceding 20 years of private ownership by a wealthy individual. You'll get competent and incompetent boards with private ownership and with fan ownership, the idea that one model guarantees incompetence or financial difficulty is baseless.

It remains to be seen how Partick's financial situation will work out - Ad Lib alluded a few pages ago to there still being a hole in their budget which needs to be covered - but your claim that they have "no money" is clearly not borne out by their business over the summer. A club slashing their first team budget would not have been adding Kerr McInroy, Lewis Neilson, Tomi Adeloye, Scott Robinson and Blair Alston while also giving new contracts to Harry Milne and Aidan Fitzpatrick; they evidently have a healthy and competitive Championship budget.

40 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

St Mirren lost 1.5 m last year , Motherwell circa 1m loss- not sure that is sustainable -do hope so…..

The year you are talking about (for St Mirren at least) was the 2021-22 season, which was still Covid-affected. If you read their accounts you will see that exceptional factors significantly influenced the quantum of their losses, including a failed-deadline day player sale (which was supposed to fund the signing of two players) and a substantial overspend on the Ralston Training complex. The auditors indicated that these were exceptional circumstances, were unlikely to recur, and were satisfied that St Mirren could continue trading as a going concern (which it did). The accounts still show strong cash reserves and net current assets.

Of course, in the same period, several privately-owned football clubs sustained substantial losses too.

The idea that you can judge a manager as out of his depth after a few months (during which his club won most of their games and went on a long play-off run) is laughable.  

Doolan may or may not turn out to be a decent manager, but he’s doing better than McCall had been at this point, a man who has had a long career managing in Scottish football.  He’s also done nothing that would indicate an obvious lack of competence.

Is he Pep Guardiola?  No.  But then again, he doesn’t manage Man City.  Overall, seems to me like he’s doing a decent job, so far better in some areas than in others - we’ll see if he continues to grow as a manager.  Commenting on his abilities at this point in his career is wasted effort, so I’ll stop right there.

23 hours ago, Nightmare said:

He still posts every so often in our threads after a Jags loss. I don’t think anyone has reacted in any way to him for about 3 years. A tragic wee guy.

And yeah, this “East Fife fan” is definitely trending in that direction. Pathetic nonsense contributions which are best ignored.

The worst part of this (new) weirdo is -he thinks this style of posting- is considered... punctuation ,when it is (in fact) -quite frankly- eye bleeding stuff. 

On 30/08/2023 at 10:53, Nightmare said:

I assume we are referring to Paul Cicero  (aka Robbie Bobson). Complete and utter tosser!!

On 29/08/2023 at 23:26, Its not only a game said:

Truly don’t have digs at Doolan- a really good guy just out of his depth- will fail and lets revisit this post in 3 months.

For me- whether -EF( my club- the perfect example of failure) or others ,amazed at the stupidity of those involved in running football clubs

. To appoint Doolan ( fans favourite)- fan ownership -imo- is doomed / no money and fan elected  idiots involved in running the club

of course everyone relates to Hearts- 3rd biggest club in Scotland. But only survives because of James Anderson’s donations to the club( biggest donator / investor in history of Scotland)- Thistle- you will destroy a legend that is so out of his depth a blind man can see…

Anyway - no agenda- EF fan- so expert is witnessing idiots- but only opinion-.

I wish I got here before the well actually brigade which have waffled on.

Everyone who doesn't agree with them are trolls. 

Don't worry I'm just surprised they've lifted their heads up from smelling their own farts to reply.

Woe betide any spelling or grammatical errors, as they may spill their real ale in a hurry to be the first to respond (don't worry the coaster will catch).

A note of fact before I get a gif of Abe Simpson walking in and out of the burlesque joint, Doolin is un proven. This will be his first real year. Is thistle a place to cut your managerial teeth, I think big archive showed in the long run a bit of a risk. One we should be willing to take? Certainly. But this is his test not taking a decent team which had decided not to play for the manager and be everyone's pal after mean old Ian mccall asked us to get up for 10am training.

Bottle/ steele needs to go into this team and nice managers don't bring that.

5 minutes ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Don't worry I'm just surprised they've lifted their heads up from smelling their own farts to reply.

Woe betide any spelling or grammatical errors, as they may spill their real ale in a hurry to be the first to respond (don't worry the coaster will catch).

A note of fact before I get a gif of Abe Simpson walking in and out of the burlesque joint, Doolin is un proven. This will be his first real year. Is thistle a place to cut your managerial teeth, I think big archive showed in the long run a bit of a risk. One we should be willing to take? Certainly. But this is his test not taking a decent team which had decided not to play for the manager and be everyone's pal after mean old Ian mccall asked us to get up for 10am training.

Sad Monsters Inc GIF by filmeditor

15 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Verge of tears over gifs

You're not really a Thistle fan are you, lets be honest here, you can't even spell Doolan. 

Per below, today we're very pleased to be introducing another 24 seasons of reserve team matches, from the mid 1930s to the mid 1950s, complete with potted match reports wherever it's possible to do so. Interestingly, Thistle Reserves were third tier champions in 1954-55 but the SFL rules prevented promotion for second string clubs!

1932-33 1933-34 1934-35 1935-36 1936-37 1937-38 1938-39 1939-40 1940-41 1941-42 1942-43 1943-44 1944-45 1945-46 1946-47 1947-48 1948-49 1949-50 1950-51 1951-52 1952-53 1953-54 1954-55 1955-56

Looking ahead, we're still searching for information about a couple of missing reserve fixtures for season 1980-81. These are Queen's Park (A) and Rangers (H). Dates played not known. Also, if anyone has programmes for the following matches we'd be grateful if they could contact us so that we can pick up anything by way of line-ups or reports these programmes might contain. Programmes were not sequentially numbered so it's not possible to tell if they were all issued:

Rangers 6/8/1980
Queen's Park 27/8/1980
St Mirren 3/9/1980
St Mirren 13/9/1980
Rangers 12/1/1981
Celtic 29/4/1981

Many thanks.

Hello@The Thistle Archive

I love the website, but I have a question.

We're often looking to get stats on former players (particularly things like "how many red cards did they get") or a complete list of matches they've played for Thistle.

There's an easily accessible "all goals scored" tab for each player on the website but I can't find the equivalent for matches or things like bookings/red cards.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Cheers in advance.