The Partick Thistle thread

It wouldn't have mattered today anyway given the online teamsheet fiasco but a concern at the back of my mind is a reluctance to sub Graham other than when the game is obviously won or lost. He played 90 minutes in every LC game bar the last 13 vs Edinburgh, being subbed off when we went 3-0 up, and I doubt Diack was coming on for him today if he had been allowed to be subbed on. This is both from the point of Graham not being untouchable if he's playing pish (which he was on Tuesday, his goal aside) and also not running a guy who's 37 in November into the ground.

I appreciate this might be easier if  / when we get another striker in.

Guessing that the signing Doolan was hinting at was a loan which has been agreed but the parent club were waiting for the group stage or pre season (if it's a club playing in Europe) to finish before sending the player out. Similar to us signing McInroy and Neilson in this week last year.

5 hours ago, Shankland1874 said:

Myles Roberts from Watford. New keeper

Just posted this then realised it was already on here so deleted it. 

Didn’t know the name but this was the move I’d read on Twitter. 

McCready did exactly what was asked of him today, and fair play for that. The one area he wasn’t tested, and I think this is crucial for goalkeepers at our level, was in the command of his area. There weren’t really any occasions where Motherwell lumped the ball into the box, so we didn’t get to see how he dealt with crosses aimed right on top of him or situations where he had to try and claim the ball in a mess of players. In terms of reactions and shot stopping he was assured and deserves credit for that.

I’d still be hoping we sign a keeper and can send McCready on loan again, but ideally this time to a decent level. No cannon fodder Lowland League outfit or parked on the bench in League Two like his previous two loan spells have been. Maybe such a positive performance today will help to secure that for him.

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

McCready did exactly what was asked of him today, and fair play for that. The one area he wasn’t tested, and I think this is crucial for goalkeepers at our level, was in the command of his area. There weren’t really any occasions where Motherwell lumped the ball into the box, so we didn’t get to see how he dealt with crosses aimed right on top of him or situations where he had to try and claim the ball in a mess of players. In terms of reactions and shot stopping he was assured and deserves credit for that.

I’d still be hoping we sign a keeper and can send McCready on loan again, but ideally this time to a decent level. No cannon fodder Lowland League outfit or parked on the bench in League Two like his previous two loan spells have been. Maybe such a positive performance today will help to secure that for him.

He was apparently all set to go to Glenafton which I heard two seperate people mention yesterday. 

2 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

He was apparently all set to go to Glenafton which I heard two seperate people mention yesterday. 

If true, that feels like a disappointing move. Far too low a level.

If he's playing every week in a competitive league, albeit the juniors, I think that's something that a lot of young players can benefit from. It's surely a good place to hone in-game skills and technical knowledge, playing against older, more experience players.

1 hour ago, Griff Sheridan said:

If he's playing every week in a competitive league, albeit the juniors, I think that's something that a lot of young players can benefit from. It's surely a good place to hone in-game skills and technical knowledge, playing against older, more experience players.

He’s already done that in the Lowland League though. It definitely feels like it’d be a step back for him to now go out to an even lower level.

The boy really needs to go out and prove that he can cut it at SPFL level, at least. admittedly, I’m not sure what clubs need a keeper but still. 

18 hours ago, Shankland1874 said:

Myles Roberts from Watford. New keeper

Aye I have heard this too. I don’t know much about him, seems to have played his entire senior career in the National League South. 70+ appearances for a 22 year old keeper isn’t bad though.

The comments from Doolan don't sound hugely encouraging like we've been tracking this guy for weeks, more like we've put out an SOS call to agents and signed him without seeing him.

Edit : transfermarkt seems to suggest he's been sent off twice in 71 games which is some going for a keeper in this era 

Edited by Fuctifano

managers player of the year and player of the year runner up is decent for a keeper albeit lower league regarding the keeper 

Screenshot_20240729_172844_X.jpg

4 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

Aye I have heard this too. I don’t know much about him, seems to have played his entire senior career in the National League South. 70+ appearances for a 22 year old keeper isn’t bad though.

Official now. Young back up probably needs another loan spell out