The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

Did he play RB or midfield or a bit of both for Morton?

He played primarily at right back and if memory serves the odd stint in midfield. He's a solid professional player who does the basics very well. What I will say is that if you're looking for an attacking alternative to Williams (as I'm gathering on here) then he isn't that player. 

15 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I take it Megwa deal is off or was just rumours then? Would love to sign both to give us depth at rb and an option for a proper holding mid but doubt we have the budget.

Megwa was at the Airdrie game on Saturday according to posts on here. If Hibs let him go to the Championship I'd imagine it'll be back to Airdrie.

Counting Sayers but not the modern apprentices we have a squad of 23 at the moment, which is quite large for us, albeit 3 are out for a while and I still think Lyon will be away by the end of the window, hasn't played a minute so far in the competitive games.

Grimshaw plus another forward (Tony Watt?) and I think that would be us unless we get more injuries before the window closes and get loans to fill the squad

24 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I take it Megwa deal is off or was just rumours then? Would love to sign both to give us depth at rb and an option for a proper holding mid but doubt we have the budget.

We did contact Hibs about Megwa and were told to wait until after the league cup groups concluded as they had not made their minds up regarding him yet. Although how close we’ve been to actually signing him at any point is anyone’s guess.

I had read that he had now been linked with Dundee United. 

14 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I still think Lyon will be away by the end of the window, hasn't played a minute so far in the competitive games.

If he isn’t getting brought an a creative midfielder in that game on Saturday where we were legitimately hopeless going forward, then it seems pretty clear that he isn’t fancied by Doolan - and his loan spells would suggest that’s fair enough.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Megwa was at the Airdrie game on Saturday according to posts on here. If Hibs let him go to the Championship I'd imagine it'll be back to Airdrie.

Counting Sayers but not the modern apprentices we have a squad of 23 at the moment, which is quite large for us, albeit 3 are out for a while and I still think Lyon will be away by the end of the window, hasn't played a minute so far in the competitive games.

Grimshaw plus another forward (Tony Watt?) and I think that would be us unless we get more injuries before the window closes and get loans to fill the squad

As you say we are down to 20, which is just a match day squad. It is large if the manager doesn’t trust the players on the bench to make a difference.

I don’t doubt grimshaw is a decent player at this level and may provide midfield steel. As mentioned above by a Morton fan he is not an attacking full back and if I’m honest I don’t see how he remotely addresses the issue of us wanting a defender who can overlap and put crosses in. Doolan has left it far too late on this right back issue and we are now in a position where we are having to take what we can get. Perhaps he’s a good player as I said but ultimately he does not fit the system or style of play we were looking for. Watt I would be happy with as he is certainly something different to Graham and can play all across the front 4 if there is any truth in that. Perhaps the exact kind of player we could have used on Saturday. 

Never really rated him much, but Grimshaw would surely be an improvement on Wasiri at RB although  different from McMillan which is unfortunate as Chalmers really could do with an attacking overlapping full back. 

Grimshaw should be a good signing if he does sign. Replacing McMillan was always going to be tough. Even if we got Megwa in it wouldn’t be a like for replacement. He’s quite possibly a better player and certainly a better defender but he doesn’t offer as much going forward as McMillan does.

In all All honesty I am not sure we are going to be deploying the usual tactics of overlapping full backs.

i saw both Milne and Wasiri command their full wing and Fitzy/Chalmers were playing on the inside of them mostly and not overlapping them.

so this could be a move away from our tactics of last two seasons and into something a bit more evolved

with that may become less of a need for a full back to be “attacking” as such. 

7 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

In all All honesty I am not sure we are going to be deploying the usual tactics of overlapping full backs.

i saw both Milne and Wasiri command their full wing and Fitzy/Chalmers were playing on the inside of them mostly and not overlapping them.

so this could be a move away from our tactics of last two seasons and into something a bit more evolved

with that may become less of a need for a full back to be “attacking” as such. 

I don't think the evolution worked very well though.

Give me wing-backs any day.

Last season Graham scored about 80% of his goals from balls across the 6-yard box. I don't think I saw one really good one on Saturday.

3 hours ago, baba douche said:

I don't think the evolution worked very well though.

Give me wing-backs any day.

Last season Graham scored about 80% of his goals from balls across the 6-yard box. I don't think I saw one really good one on Saturday.

Aye it didn’t really tbh, teething issues maybe

But also it was clear that last season, teams had figured out how to stop us from playing that way

we got away with it against teams who were simply not good enough but a team with any sort of quality made it hard for us. Lawless/McMillan in particular could go weeks with nothing. 

So we do need to try something different. 

Goodwin in the paper stating that he expects Grimshaw to leave United in the coming days. Hopefully that means we have the loan move wrapped up before Saturday. 

6 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

So we do need to try something different. 

Agree, I think we need more players playing in the centre of midfield, not relying on the LB or RB bombing on and making space for the wingers. We've surely got enough quality in the centre of midfield to play three in the centre and have the wingers there to overlap or run in behind the opposition defence. From the games I've been at towards the end of last season and this season, we have a vast chasm around the centre circle as our players are focussed on down the wings or a long ball over the top. We've got some footballers in the team, let them play.

32 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

Agree, I think we need more players playing in the centre of midfield, not relying on the LB or RB bombing on and making space for the wingers. We've surely got enough quality in the centre of midfield to play three in the centre and have the wingers there to overlap or run in behind the opposition defence. From the games I've been at towards the end of last season and this season, we have a vast chasm around the centre circle as our players are focussed on down the wings or a long ball over the top. We've got some footballers in the team, let them play.

Very few teams play up the middle in general, across world football.

the only place I see it is the MLS and it does actually make for a more interesting game and a bit more of an exciting way to play 

It’s good to have a manager who knows what formation he wants to play and knows at least 8/9 of his preferred starting XI. The risk, however, is that we’re rarely going to surprise anyone with how we set up, with teams probably working out already what they can do to nullify / get round us. I’d like to see Dools shake it up a bit sometimes, either from the start or during the game. Even if it means taking off one of his favourites before 80 minutes.