The Partick Thistle thread

I only wanted him out if we were 10+ points behind at Christmas, which to be fair at one stage it looked as if we might be. Outside Hamilton I'd guess we've the smallest budget in the division so even with the debt free news I think 10th is a good final position. We're only 3 points above the play off so a bad run and the heat will be back on, which I think is slightly unfair.

We do seem to be slowly learning, this last 12 months has seen a lot of hoodoos burst, the 2 then 3 then 4 wins in a row, first wins at McDiarmid / Tannadice in 20 years, think we must have had more single goal wins this season than either of the last two etc etc. I think if he keeps us up this season with a bit to spare he's easily alongside Lambie, although difficult to compare as Lambie freely admitted he'd have been useless had transfer windows existed in all but his last season.

Had a little search through my post history for a post about jagfox in an old "best posters" thread - came across an old post of mine in this match thread and had a read through it out of curiousity.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/133410-can-thistle-win-a-crunch-game-at-last/

Well worth a read. Incredible how far we've come in 5 years.

Also interesting is the stick Erskine was getting - amazing to remember how horrific he was for us at first yet went on to become a pretty firm fan favourite. As did Doolan who scored in that game what feels like forever ago.

I was also somewhat skeptical over McNamara getting the job post-McCall in the final post of the thread - touting Gus fucking McPherson!

Tbf McCall did lay some of the groundwork for what we've gone on to do but his final season was absolutely brutal.

edit: second post of the thread

Surely Partick's crunch games are the play-offs?

Heh.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

That thread is depressing.

As is the fact I only won about £130 by winning the 50/50 draw at that game, it's about £500 these days.

I don't really find it depressing, when you consider;

- Title winners not so very long after that dreadful game to earn promotion - from getting beat off part-time dross to winning against Morton to all but secure the 1st division title

- Now in our 3rd season in the top flight, on a good current run of form with a strong lead over the club in the automatic relegation places, going from 10th in our first season to 8th in our second

- Thistle Weir youth academy established

- Debt restructured thanks to the Weirs - no bank debt as I understand it

- North Stand successes (Celtic controversy aside)

Be nice to have had a good cup run in the time, being incredibly finicky - last good run I remember was either the Challenge Cup against QotS or the Hearts game years ago when we were, iirc, the last Glasgow team left in the competition - but the foundations are there for that. Christ knows where we'll be in another 5 years. Football being what it is we could be either holders of a major domestic trophy and in Europe or battling it out in the seaside leagues with Peterhead and the like.

Unsurpsingly I'm one of the ones criticising Erskine in that thread.

I'm still pretty amazed that in the space of 2 years he went from a player who seemed to struggle not to fall over the ball when trying to run in a straight line with it, to becoming our best player in a season where we were promoted to the top flight. Fair play to him.

Unsurpsingly I'm one of the ones criticising Erskine in that thread.

I'm still pretty amazed that in the space of 2 years he went from a player who seemed to struggle not to fall over the ball when trying to run in a straight line with it, to becoming our best player in a season where we were promoted to the top flight. Fair play to him.

They'll be very few fans who can say that they did rate him for a large part of his early Thistle career. He looked like a daddy long legs fumbling all over a ball alot of times. Just sluggish arms and legs everywhere. Luckily he transformed into an absolute hero.

There's a lot of talk of John Sutton getting moved on what's your thoughts guys on him at firhill rather than pogba. I'm personally not sure if it would work. Maybe archie has got a definite target in mind which is a good possibility I wouldn't touch Sutton