The Partick Thistle thread

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Our defence is now so bad that playing Ryan Scully isn't even standing out as a bad thing any more.

Always thought Frans and Seaborne were a bit over-rated and our defence last year was greater than the sum of its parts but maybe not.

Without wanting to copy the post from the match thread, the point Snakebite, me and others made about us having 1267162153564 midfielders (Div Wilson, why?!) and the absolute minimum central defenders / strikers is really hitting home now. We have very few options to change at either end of the park which ain't great when you're normally leaking 2 goals a game and the 2 strikers you do have are unable to score before October.

Think Archie got a bit over-confident in the summer, binning 3 decent defenders in the assumption we could pick up better ones was a big risk. None were world class but I would have kept at least one of Seaborne/Frans. Going into the season with 2 CBs (the oldest of which is 23) was mental. I'm not bothered about only having 2 strikers though as we've always done that and Doolan isn't usually injured.

I thought our game plan at first yesterday worked perfectly, close down their players, get the fans on their backs and force them to make mistakes. Our problem was the exact same as last week, we can't seem to take advantage when we're on top. We missed or squandered chance after chance, meaning the only way we're going to get anything from the game is relying on the defence on keeping keeping a clean sheet. Think we can all agree that Devine was pish, but we shouldn't have to solely rely on our defenders to get anything from the game

I suggested a "Classic Goals" feature to SLJ. Purely because I want to see Dorrans' overhead kick vs Peterhead again. It's nowhere to be seen online and in its absence I've built it up in my head as the greatest goal there's ever been. 

I posted it recently in the Old Partick Thistle Pictures Facebook group, Graham Dorrans had never seen it before and said it was his best ever.

I have genuinely no idea how Danny Devine is a professional football player. How wrong we were when the ICT fans warned us. Seen nothing in any game so far this season to suggest he has any ability whatsoever, and his mistake (the one for the goal) on Saturday was embarrassing. Barton at CB against Accies please. There's no way he can be anywhere near as bad.

He's absolutely cunting shite.  There was no sour grapes from us that he signed for Thistle.  We were fucking desperate for him to leave.  He was directly at fault for countless goals conceded last season when Gary Warren and latterly Josh Meekings were injured.

By far the worst defender we've had since we we've been in the SPL/Premiership.  The worst player we've had potentially.

Devine reminds me more of Willie Kinniburgh than any other defender of recent times. He didn't look particularly clever during the run of League Cup wins and has got worse since the league campaign kicked off. He's been particularly atrocious over the past month. Off the top of my head I can remember him being responsible for:

Rangers' second on Saturday.

Motherwell's equaliser on 24 September.

Kilmarnock's second on 17 September.

I'm not sure you can blame him for Maclean's goal for St Johnstone on 10 September, but the striker definitely mugged him off.

22 hours ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

Think Archie got a bit over-confident in the summer, binning 3 decent defenders in the assumption we could pick up better ones was a big risk. None were world class but I would have kept at least one of Seaborne/Frans.

My memory is a bit hazy but I'm about 90% certain that Archie said at the EEOS Jags thing that he didn't "let them go"---they were offered new contracts and they decided to go elsewhere.  

The only thing giving me any hope is that there seems to be a couple of absolutely dreadful teams in the league this season, with us of course being one of them. If we can get rid of Devine and replace him with someone who's, well, not absolute dreadful then we'll hopefully have just enough to stay up.

I doubt there are many quality players currently kicking about on the free agent market at present. Would've been snapped up by now if decent. Only hope there for us is that we're not adrift come January and we pick up someone released from another team.

The past few seasons we've had some shaky as hell periods and even last year before our super run I was stating it was time for Archie to go. Due to that I'm trying not to go into full panic mode just yet but can't deny I'm a touch worried.

Right now anybody else, I mean anybody, would inspire more confidence in me at the back than Daniel Devine. Adam Barton, or a development squad player, end contract by mutual consent, and we'll move on and forget the whole sorry Devine episode. Please, Alan, I implore you.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Every team bar Celtic right now could do with Gregory Tade. Absolute beast of a player*.

*term used loosely. 

I think he's playing in Qatar at the minute, coining it in. Thoroughly deserved tbh.

Hope we can find an older heid that can do the basics at the back well, and consistently, soon.

I've only seen a couple of games so far this season but before a ball was kicked, it was surely evident to most that we were undermanned in vital areas. I was content to start the season with a back four of Ziggy, Booth, Lindsay and Devine but to have no viable option to replace either centre-half is criminal.

The decision to spend a transfer fee and fork out a three-year deal to Barton despite the glaring deficiencies elsewhere looks more bizarre by the week. I appreciate that our budget was impacted (rightly or wrongly) by the fixture list and obviously due to the injuries to Dumbuya and Cerny but to have a first team squad with seven central midfield players yet only two centre halves and two centre forwards is just bewilderingly poor squad management.

It's not quite panic stations yet, we've been pretty slow starters in each of the last few seasons. However in each of those seasons, we've had a catalyst whose arrival has coincided with an upturn in fortunes - Taylor in 13/14, Frans in 14/15 and Dumbuya in 15/16. I'm not sure whether the budget extends to finding another one of those this time...

I think there's some encouragement in our performances of late from what I hear and read but the next two games are vitally important. If we're potless after those, I think folk would be well entitled to feel very concerned.

On this day last year we picked up our first win of the season against Dundee United.  I couldn't quite remember how we'd done before that (the official site is goosed it seems for the results page, and has us beating Celtic 1-0 earlier that season) but best I can tell/remember it was a couple of draws.  I also remember we looked a far more hopeless case just before that win.  

It is worrying how we are at the moment, but I don't think it's the worst position we've been in.  The next few games are the most important ones.  If we finish October without having won a game, then the alarm bells will be ringing.