The Partick Thistle thread

Yeah, but in comparison to what Dundee fans have witnessed over the past twenty years, its hardly anything special is it....

Have I said Dundee have done anything 'special'? Not sure what your point is really. I suppose you can hark back to Dundee fans 'wildly' celebrating such an achievement nearly 17 years ago as a point of pointscoring and whilst I'd much rather be in Partick Thistle's position than Dundee's right now, let's not pretend it's some sort of profound accomplishment that they weren't capable of thus labelling it 'special'.

If Partick Thistle weren't challenging for the top 6 this season, they'd have accused Archibald of stagnating at the club and wanted rid much like pretty much every set of fans (including themselves) have been about their manager this season. As it is, they've done well, particularly of late, and I'm not trying to downplay that but let's not get carried away either.

FWIW, before Thistle fans get too hyped about 5th (I've even seen talk of 4th), they should be looking at their record against the top half this season so far (2 wins in 14 matches)

True but now we get the chance to play each of them and better that record.

Nicely done Thistle. 

I'd said in an earlier thread I'd like to see us play Thistle in the playoff but that was based on something I'd seen months ago.

Richly deserve a top 6 finish and I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. Enjoy your end to the season.

Edited by Gaz FFC

FWIW, before Thistle fans get too hyped about 5th (I've even seen talk of 4th), they should be looking at their record against the top half this season so far (2 wins in 14 matches)

Although I think fourth is impossible I believe fifth is. I think the thoughts come from the fact that we are a much better side now than we were when we faced those top half sides earlier in the season and Hearts are a much worse team. We took points from Celtic which was a bonus and I can't say I think we'll do it again but I don't see why we can't get something against Rangers in both fixtures if we turn up. We'll likely be against St. Johnstone at McDiarmid and our record at their place is fairly good. We'll have to see how Aberdeen respond to today's result but it's still hard to see us getting something against them although not impossible. The crunch game is the Hearts one. If we can beat them, that would close that gap of three points but a win would be difficult. The real reason for the hopes of fifth is the question of where will Hearts be picking up points? A difficult game against Killie at Rugby Park followed by the split games. It wouldn't really mean all that much and would say more about Hearts' capitulation than it would about our quality but would still be another note to add to this season's success.

26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Have I said Dundee have done anything 'special'? Not sure what your point is really. I suppose you can hark back to Dundee fans 'wildly' celebrating such an achievement nearly 17 years ago as a point of pointscoring and whilst I'd much rather be in Partick Thistle's position than Dundee's right now, let's not pretend it's some sort of profound accomplishment that they weren't capable of thus labelling it 'special'.

If Partick Thistle weren't challenging for the top 6 this season, they'd have accused Archibald of stagnating at the club and wanted rid much like pretty much every set of fans (including themselves) have been about their manager this season. As it is, they've done well, particularly of late, and I'm not trying to downplay that but let's not get carried away either.

You know fine well how excited you, and the rest of the Dundee support, were at finishing top six a few years back. The start of a glorious era under Hartley was mentioned multiple times. I've no idea why you think thats any different to Thistle fans getting excited in an identical manner.

You know fine well how excited you, and the rest of the Dundee support, were at finishing top six a few years back. The start of a glorious era under Hartley was mentioned multiple times. I've no idea why you think thats any different to Thistle fans getting excited in an identical manner.

I was excited yes, and I thought it may be the beginning of something special but I didn't think that in itself was special. Decent achievement for first season back up. I certainly didn't use it as a 'giuy' to former players playing for a team ahead of ours in the league though which was my original point.

I was excited yes, and I thought it may be the beginning of something special but I didn't think that in itself was special. Decent achievement for first season back up. I certainly didn't use it as a 'giuy' to former players playing for a team ahead of ours in the league though which was my original point.

"I was excited but it wasn't special"

[emoji848]

Away back to your own teams thread to discuss how you'll avoid relegation. Ridiculous to come on here and try to pick an argument for sake of it. Just say good job and move on.

If Partick Thistle weren't challenging for the top 6 this season, they'd have accused Archibald of stagnating at the club and wanted rid much like pretty much every set of fans (including themselves) have been about their manager this season.

No we wouldn't.

Think a fair few Jags would of taken 10th at the start of the season. Everyone would have been happy with 10th in January considering we were sitting bottom in December

No we wouldn't.

Think a fair few Jags would of taken 10th at the start of the season. Everyone would have been happy with 10th in January considering we were sitting bottom in December

There's a fair few Jags on P&B that were calling for Archibald's head not that long ago (Towards end of last season at the latest, might have been this one )

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was excited yes, and I thought it may be the beginning of something special 

Which is exactly where Thistle fans are at, you just absolutely stink of jealousy 

"I was excited but it wasn't special"

[emoji848]

Away back to your own teams thread to discuss how you'll avoid relegation. Ridiculous to come on here and try to pick an argument for sake of it. Just say good job and move on.

I did say good job. The only thing ridiculous is thinking that Ricky Foster, Paul Paton etc are sitting wishing they were still at Partick Thistle due to this 'special' achievement.

There's a fair few Jags on P&B that were calling for Archibald's head not that long ago (Towards end of last season at the latest, might have been this one )

Didn't I just tell you to piss off back to your relegation discussions!?

It really irritates me as there always one pr*ck who wants to spoil it all with his or her insecurities.

Would it have been beyond you to just be congratulatory and moved on?

Didn't I just tell you to piss off back to your relegation discussions!?

It really irritates me as there always one pr*ck who wants to spoil it all with his or her insecurities.

Would it have been beyond you to just be congratulatory and moved on?

[emoji38]

Dribblers don't count. Probably the same people who thought/still think Edwards is shite and want us to resign Lyle Taylor every transfer window

The mobile phones out waiting for the scores ffs.
And this c**t is here lecturing us. Bore off ya dafty.

'Lecturing' you. [emoji38]

All I done was point out that the original poster was getting a bit carried away calling out former players and calling it a 'special' moment. Using something that happened almost 17 year ago as a comparison doesn't really work.

A fair number of us still vividly recall being a bawhair away from the Third Division and probable extinction. 

An even larger proportion will recall the sheer drudgery of the Dick Campbell era.

So finishing in the top 6 teams in the country is certainly a special acheivement in my book, made even more so by the fact we've been led there by club legend. Add in the fact that the extra finance provided by a top half finish will help safeguard the club's immediate future, especially in the current footballing climate.

Special period to be a Jag just now, one to savour.