The Partick Thistle thread

would hope the club will point to the performances of Hendry (very likely away to Celtic at time of posting after doing well at Dundee, and for a fee between £750k - £1M going by the Dundee thread which is an amount that sorta makes sense considering McCann said they'd turned down a lowball offer a few days ago) and Lindsay (only rumours linking him with big money multi-million pound moves at this point but certainly performing well enough that they aren't totally outlandish, not least relative to certain other transfer fee's you see these days) in future transfer negotiations to at least drive the fee's and/or sell-on clauses/performance related clauses we receive up.

Not going to go down the route of pissing and moaning impotently at Dundee managing to rake it in on an ex-Thistle player (not least because I was happy enough with the reported fee for Hendry at the time as it looked like pretty much being phree munney for someone that had barely featured) or the rumoured Lindsay fee and sell on but I would hope, trying to be more positive, that it means we can be a bit more demanding in the future rather than settling for potentially poor value offers. It's not going to be like a computer game where we'll be able to flip players for megabux year on year and we're limited a bit by the fact we can't really take the risk of offering lengthy 5 year contracts out but we've got to make the absolute most of whatever saleable assets we've got.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

With us possibly utilising Storey as a wide player now and Dools still struggling with this ongoing injury, another attacking player might have been welcome. Overall though, we're stronger now than we were at the end of December. Cargill looks like an upgrade on Turnbull, and we've now got healthy competition in most positions. If Osman and Woods can stay free of injury or suspension, I think we might just be alright.

It's been a bit of stinker of a window for Hamilton, losing Docherty to Rangers then MacKinnon to injury. However they've been over the course before and their early season form gives them a chance. Like Dundee United, County have quite a decent team on paper but seem to be hamstrung by a manager who has little idea how to get the best from them - long may that continue but I expect them to pick up a couple of results.

Losing Hendry and Allan so late in the window is surely going to be damaging to Dundee but I've been quite impressed with them any time I've seen them play this season. Murray might not be prolific at this level but he brings a lot more to a team than goals; wouldn't have minded seeing him at Firhill (rumour suggests he was all but signed before Hibs showed an interest).

I think St Johnstone look like they could slide into the mix. Lowest scorers in the league and I'm not sure they've sufficiently replaced O'Halloran although this Welsh boy comes with a decent reputation. That robustness that they're renowned for seems to have deserted them on an increasingly frequent basis.

If I had to predict where we'll finish, I'd say 9th or 10th.

10 hours ago, velo army said:

I was actually afraid that Sammon would go back to Hearts as he is absolutely a Levein type striker. Given that they have punted Isma I would suggest that this isn't entirely innaccurate...

It's possible that there is no recall clause in Sammon's loan deal. 

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

It’s was a good transfer window for us tbh.
Cargill looks a decent, Osman is back. Dundee and Hamilton have lost a few key players and Ross County haven’t improved.

Cargill's out of contract in the summer. Would  Bournemouth will be entitled to compensation if we sign him? He's 23 in July. 

10 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

With us possibly utilising Storey as a wide player now and Dools still struggling with this ongoing injury, another attacking player might have been welcome. Overall though, we're stronger now than we were at the end of December. Cargill looks like an upgrade on Turnbull, and we've now got healthy competition in most positions. If Osman and Woods can stay free of injury or suspension, I think we might just be alright.

It's been a bit of stinker of a window for Hamilton, losing Docherty to Rangers then MacKinnon to injury. However they've been over the course before and their early season form gives them a chance. Like Dundee United, County have quite a decent team on paper but seem to be hamstrung by a manager who has little idea how to get the best from them - long may that continue but I expect them to pick up a couple of results.

Losing Hendry and Allan so late in the window is surely going to be damaging to Dundee but I've been quite impressed with them any time I've seen them play this season. Murray might not be prolific at this level but he brings a lot more to a team than goals; wouldn't have minded seeing him at Firhill (rumour suggests he was all but signed before Hibs showed an interest).

I think St Johnstone look like they could slide into the mix. Lowest scorers in the league and I'm not sure they've sufficiently replaced O'Halloran although this Welsh boy comes with a decent reputation. That robustness that they're renowned for seems to have deserted them on an increasingly frequent basis.

If I had to predict where we'll finish, I'd say 9th or 10th.

Totally unrelated but I've been on the Thistle internet for 11 years now and I've only just worked out why you have a 2 in your username and I had about 3 seconds of laughing quite hard then about a minute of being angry at myself for not twigging at any point before then.

13 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Totally unrelated but I've been on the Thistle internet for 11 years now and I've only just worked out why you have a 2 in your username and I had about 3 seconds of laughing quite hard then about a minute of being angry at myself for not twigging at any point before then.

I'll never forget that away game to Airdrie where that c**t Paul Lovering started a mass brawl and Óne was intent on hurting everyone in a white shirt :lol:

ETA, one of the few games I can think of our players having a "heads gone" moment and have 2-3 players sent off or something stupid like that

Edited by cilitbang

On 1/31/2018 at 15:20, Mediocre Pundit said:

Bear in mind we signed Hendry one year prior to selling him after he was released by Dundee United. We didn’t really develop him much. And the two years at Wigan will have helped. So the money we got for him was good, even if it looks less so in hindsight.

Lindsay - different story.

Heard yesterday that we will be getting part of the Celtic $ to Dundee for Hendry. It is a  development fee % and so we got paid twice on this future Scotland centre half. It's probably a small number but every little bit helps. I also know that the sell on % for Lindsay is more than 10%. These sh*tey tabloids dont know their ar*s from their elbow. We sold Liam for $350k up front with a significant sell on %. I would think it is probably 15 or 20%. I do think and give Maxi and the board benefit of the doubt on the way they conduct business. In my mind it's unfair to throw stones when none of the fees we see in the game make much sense. That's not Thistle's fault. 

2 hours ago, cilitbang said:

I'll never forget that away game to Airdrie where that c**t Paul Lovering started a mass brawl and Óne was intent on hurting everyone in a white shirt :lol:

ETA, one of the few games I can think of our players having a "heads gone" moment and have 2-3 players sent off or something stupid like that

I think part of the problems at the time one was at Firhill was the management at the time - so many players were unfit etc - in the all too brief spell that John Lambie returned Armand was brilliant I remember him given League leaders Falkirk no end of bother in a game, also gave Hearts a torrid time in the cup

For lower league he was actually a very decent striker and if Lambie had stayed in I think Armand would have gotten even better- he scored a fair number of goals with other teams in the SFL.

no idea if he is still playing football at all now