The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Unless of course we give Scott Paterson the gig. Hardly an exciting prospect but appointing the assistant seemed to work out well enough for St. Johnstone.

On the flip side, there was Lee McCulloch at Killie.....

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Appointing a new manager is of course a risk as is keeping the current one. I don't mind either way but as someone pointed out earlier we are already weeks behind our competition in building a new squad. If we sack Archie tomorrow how long before a new man would be appointed? How long would it take him to appraise the current squad and identify signing targets?
Unless of course we give Scott Paterson the gig. Hardly an exciting prospect but appointing the assistant seemed to work out well enough for St. Johnstone.

Christ. Remember the last assistant we gave the job to??

Scott Paterson has been part of this management team who have had an utter stinker. Two centre halves in the coaching team who spent the best part of two years picking Danny Devine.

Get that idea right in the bin.

Archibald (perhaps it's time to retire the cuddly "Archie" nickname) should have the decency to walk (he won't be sacked).  I think he will stay though, and we're not coming back up anytime soon if he does. We'll be midtable in the championship at best, and may even be in worse trouble than that if he can't bring in several players with some fight. He's shown for months now that he is unable to motivate his team to dig in and win midfield battles -  having apparently forgotten to sign enough midfielders - or, as a defender himself, to coach a defence to work as a solid unit which doesn't ship dozens of last minute goals. He has persisted with bang out of form players (Osman, Barton, Devine) having nightmares week after week, when we had young, competent options (Penrice, McCarthy), in some positions at least, not getting a chance.  At no point this season has he been praised by anyone for effective tactics or subsitutions.

His team are unwatchable; his bland interviews and "we need to try harder" excuses are unlistenable.  Another season of his stagnant reign is a very depressing prospect.

He won the1st division last time with someone else's team. This team is his (apart from the best players - Erskine, Lawless and Doolan) and they are, almost to a man, utter shite, with no dig or determination. The promotion year team would beat this bunch 4 or 5-0. OK, maybe 5-2, with Balatoni and Fox involved...

Embarrassed to be a Jags fan at the moment.

20 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Tommy Bryce.  Darren Brady,  Dick Campbell.  

We've had it worse and will probably again. 

Fortunately we've a bit more foundation than last time.   

6 minutes ago, John Lambie said:

Tommy Bryce.  Darren Brady,  Dick Campbell.  

We've had it worse and will probably again. 

Fortunately we've a bit more foundation than last time.   

True, it could always be worse, but as many are pointing out here the core of players on our books who are any good is extremely small (and ageing). We have a lottery winners-funded youth set up which may give us some decent youngsters in years to come, but first-team wise, we're back where we started in the generally good recent years from McCall onwards, and we need a huge overhaul.  We have a tactically inflexible, defensively naive coaching team who are out of ideas but may stick around to try to do it. That's the big worry.

3 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Archibald (perhaps it's time to retire the cuddly "Archie" nickname) should have the decency to walk (he won't be sacked).  I think he will stay though, and we're not coming back up anytime soon if he does. We'll be midtable in the championship at best, and may even be in worse trouble than that if he can't bring in several players with some fight. He's shown for months now that he is unable to motivate his team to dig in and win midfield battles -  having apparently forgotten to sign enough midfielders - or, as a defender himself, to coach a defence to work as a solid unit which doesn't ship dozens of last minute goals. He has persisted with bang out of form players (Osman, Barton, Devine) having nightmares week after week, when we had young, competent options (Penrice, McCarthy), in some positions at least, not getting a chance.  At no point this season has he been praised by anyone for effective tactics or subsitutions.

His team are unwatchable; his bland interviews and "we need to try harder" excuses are unlistenable.  Another season of his stagnant reign is a very depressing prospect.

He won the1st division last time with someone else's team. This team is his (apart from the best players - Erskine, Lawless and Doolan) and they are, almost to a man, utter shite, with no dig or determination. The promotion year team would beat this bunch 4 or 5-0. OK, maybe 5-2, with Balatoni and Fox involved...

In almost half a century of  watching  Thistle  win, lose, succeed, fail, get promoted, get demoted I have never been embarrassed to be a Jags fan. 

What a comment. You need to settle down and many on this thread need to chill out.

Yes we’re relegated. The board, the management team and the players all have responsibility in this. But the nonsense comments in the emotional aftermath need to be wound in.

Every new manager inherits a team and evaluates it to continue success or bring success. Archie did but he took us up when Ratnamara left we where struggling for form. Archie brought us up and I’m amazed at the fickle comments on here. I remember fans rallying behind the great response the team had when Archie took over and got us over the line. He then improved the squad and we were a premiership side.

Secondly Archie then for 3 straight years improved our position in the premier league. He recruited well for a small budget in league. Not all players work. This year especially but he’s a fairly new manager. We played great possession style football pleasing on the eye. We all hailed Archie for his work. But again many forget the great work he did and we all rallied behind. Nobody is perfect. You guys have weaknesses in your jobs? I know I make mistakes and if every time I had a bad year I was fired and didn’t have leaders who believed in me it would be seen as unfair as how would I grow and learn in my career? Cut the man some slack.

He took us to the top 6. The first time ever and best table position in 30 years. Lambie loved him and saw in him as a player, a captain and now manager something special.

He’s had a poor season but there is validity to his post match comments regarding injuries, lack of continuity and he even admitted that he shoulders blame. But the comments from fans on this forum are a disgrace.

I won’t beg for him to stay. He owes us little for the great memories he’s given usover years of loyalty. If he goes or gets fired he may well think he deserves it. But the over the top comments I’m surprised at. He deserves some support and I for one will get behind him if he stays on. He deserves that chance and support if board decides that. If he doesn’t I get behind the new guy but everyone needs to stop with the negative and frankly uneducated comments.

I’m sure there will be many changes but if Archie stays and makes them let’s get behind the team and club to give us best shot to give us a shot in getting backs next season. I like the board isn’t make jerk decisions. For me that’s maturity and good leadership.

Happy if you disagree and throw abuse my way but I own and run a business with many employees and think Thistles board and Chairman are doing things the right way.

He's not recruited well. The majority of his signings have been poor. And that's the major worry. Our squad needs to be totally overhauled and I just can't see him being the man to do it, based on his past transfer dealings. Pogba? Azeez? Devine? Woods? The list goes on. If he stays in charge, that's the type of player that we will be seeing at Firhill next season, crammed into his bloody turgid 4231 formation.

There have been a lot of unrealistic expectations the last five years, like qualifying for Europe, when avoiding relegation was the priority. We stayed up for a few years, now we're down again. It's not the end of the world. We had a good adventure, but now it's time to look forward to the next one.

Archie brought us up and I’m amazed at the fickle comments on here. I remember fans rallying behind the great response the team had when Archie took over and got us over the line. He then improved the squad and we were a premiership side.

Yes, and then he had us flirting with relegation a couple of times then eventually relagated us.

This year especially but he’s a fairly new manager. We played great possession style football pleasing on the eye. We all hailed Archie for his work. But again many forget the great work he did and we all rallied behind. Nobody is perfect. You guys have weaknesses in your jobs? I know I make mistakes and if every time I had a bad year I was fired and didn’t have leaders who believed in me it would be seen as unfair as how would I grow and learn in my career? Cut the man some slack.

He isn't a new manager anymore and has been around long enough now to ken the score. Comparing the every day persons job to that of the business of football is silly but for the sake of the discussion let's go with it. If I repeatedly made the same mistakes year on year which then eventually led to my work going on fire I'd be sacked.

He’s had a poor season but there is validity to his post match comments regarding injuries, lack of continuity and he even admitted that he shoulders blame. But the comments from fans on this forum are a disgrace.

A disgrace? Wind your neck and and don't be such a happy clapper. Most on here have been pretty objective and fair in their comments.

If he doesn’t I get behind the new guy but everyone needs to stop with the negative and frankly uneducated comments.

Again happy clapper nonsense. We've just been relegated after a meek display so sorry if everyone isn't all "Yaaay get behind the team guys!". Please do quote the "uneducated comments" though.

5 hours ago, Rednyella said:

What a comment. You need to settle down and many on this thread need to chill out.

Yes we’re relegated. The board, the management team and the players all have responsibility in this. But the nonsense comments in the emotional aftermath need to be wound in.

Every new manager inherits a team and evaluates it to continue success or bring success. Archie did but he took us up when Ratnamara left we where struggling for form. Archie brought us up and I’m amazed at the fickle comments on here. I remember fans rallying behind the great response the team had when Archie took over and got us over the line. He then improved the squad and we were a premiership side.

Secondly Archie then for 3 straight years improved our position in the premier league. He recruited well for a small budget in league. Not all players work. This year especially but he’s a fairly new manager. We played great possession style football pleasing on the eye. We all hailed Archie for his work. But again many forget the great work he did and we all rallied behind. Nobody is perfect. You guys have weaknesses in your jobs? I know I make mistakes and if every time I had a bad year I was fired and didn’t have leaders who believed in me it would be seen as unfair as how would I grow and learn in my career? Cut the man some slack.

He took us to the top 6. The first time ever and best table position in 30 years. Lambie loved him and saw in him as a player, a captain and now manager something special.

I won’t beg for him to stay. He owes us little for the great memories he’s given usover years of loyalty. If he goes or gets fired he may well think he deserves it. But the over the top comments I’m surprised at. He deserves some support and I for one will get behind him if he stays on. He deserves that chance and support if board decides that. If he doesn’t I get behind the new guy but everyone needs to stop with the negative and frankly uneducated comments.

I’m sure there will be many changes but if Archie stays and makes them let’s get behind the team and club to give us best shot to give us a shot in getting backs next season. I like the board isn’t make jerk decisions. For me that’s maturity and good leadership.

Happy if you disagree and throw abuse my way but I own and run a business with many employees and think Thistles board and Chairman are doing things the right way.

Archie has deserved support during the season - but has had that whole season to rectify some situation, change up his ideas, and make sure there is some fight in the team. He has failed to do that, and I don't think it is too strong to say that the play off performances were a disgrace to the club. It is not "negative and frankly uneducated" to say that a man who has presided over a slump which has left us back in the first division (due to crap signings, crap team selection and a trademark of losing late goals) is done.

I agree with you that he stepped in and did brilliantly at first, but that was a long time ago now, as was the "great possession football pleasing on the eye". It's been attritional for several seasons (that's understandable, but it's nonsense to claim we have been good to watch in the past few years).

You might consider being less insulting towards fellow fans who want a fresh direction after this omnishambles of a season.

8 hours ago, Walter said:

In almost half a century of  watching  Thistle  win, lose, succeed, fail, get promoted, get demoted I have never been embarrassed to be a Jags fan. 

Fair dos. Had had a couple of Laphroaigs when I wrote that. Should have been: embarrassed by our season, and very embarrassed by, and angry about, our play off "performance". 

Jordan Thompson and Scott Pittman apparently out of contract at the end if the month with Rangers and Livi respectively. Through in Penrice and there's our centre midfield sorted...

Will we be looking at a forward such as Hardie or Reilly? Two hairy arsed centre defenders need sourced too.