The Partick Thistle thread

I think the potential suggestion for who is realistically going to replace Archie is the reason that a lot more people have gone from Archie out to Archie must stay pretty quickly. The rumour I overheard at the Woodside was that “Jim Duffy was interviewed last Wednesday and told he gets it if we go down”, hearing John Hughes’ name as well doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

The main reason why I’m still Archie out is that it’s clear there’s a rebuild job required this summer, and I don’t particularly trust him to do a good job of it. The debate has been had many times before over his transfer record, and while he’s managed to bring in technically-gifted players near enough across the board, he’s never really got a balance right between that and those with pace (Amoo aside), and I can’t remember him ever signing a proper hard b*****d who’ll take games by the scruff of the neck (closest we got was probably Osbourne, who was made of glass, and Osman, who made hats). Since we’ve come up, we’ve consistently had a team of shitebags.

Ultimately, if it comes down to Archie or Duffy/Hughes/Houston then there’s only one winner, but I don’t see any reason why someone like Neilson wouldn’t take the job. Teams in England won’t exactly be queuing for him, and as we’ve seen with Lennon, failing in England then coming back to build your stock up again from the Championship isn’t necessarily the worst idea in the world.

11 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

He played the 1st game

I was at the game!!! My point was we had to go for it on Sunday and our best attacking left back was left on the bench to accomodate a right footed full back playing in his position!

22 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

I think the potential suggestion for who is realistically going to replace Archie is the reason that a lot more people have gone from Archie out to Archie must stay pretty quickly. The rumour I overheard at the Woodside was that “Jim Duffy was interviewed last Wednesday and told he gets it if we go down”, hearing John Hughes’ name as well doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

The main reason why I’m still Archie out is that it’s clear there’s a rebuild job required this summer, and I don’t particularly trust him to do a good job of it. The debate has been had many times before over his transfer record, and while he’s managed to bring in technically-gifted players near enough across the board, he’s never really got a balance right between that and those with pace (Amoo aside), and I can’t remember him ever signing a proper hard b*****d who’ll take games by the scruff of the neck (closest we got was probably Osbourne, who was made of glass, and Osman, who made hats). Since we’ve come up, we’ve consistently had a team of shitebags.

Ultimately, if it comes down to Archie or Duffy/Hughes/Houston then there’s only one winner, but I don’t see any reason why someone like Neilson wouldn’t take the job. Teams in England won’t exactly be queuing for him, and as we’ve seen with Lennon, failing in England then coming back to build your stock up again from the Championship isn’t necessarily the worst idea in the world.

If Ross goes and it's looking like that word on the street is Neilson has been lined up to replace Ross.

59 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Maybe Archie did inherit the squad from McNamarra. But we all know that he wasn’t going to get us promoted as he couldn’t win away from home.
By the way, how did McNamarra get on after leaving Thistle ?

Well done on missing the point entirely.

Gonna be even harder for Patrick to entice players now that you're in the Diddy League again.
Keep the chins up chaps.
I'm mightily looking forward to our 5th consecutive season in the Premiership but I hope we can all still keep in touch and I'll pop in from time to time?

I wouldn’t be too cocky. We were in for 5 years; County 6; St Mirren 8; Dundee Utd 20 odd; Hibs ?
It is guaranteed that you will be relegated soon

What was the point ?

That Archibald has never assembled a squad that won the Championship.

When he came in, he did improve the team (particularly away from home) but the squad was already the best in the division. That isn’t the case this time, and we need major work done this summer on a scale Archibald has never had to do before.

Last season was a joke. We didn't even have a routine to keep possession from throw ins or goal kicks. 

The possession game is okay in principle but not with the pedestrian passing we employed. Sideways passes resulting in a handful of chances being created on average every game. The opposition more often than not created double the amount and in a game of percentages that is only going to result in defeats over the course of a season.

In hindsight signing two forwards at the transfer deadline when there was, and remains a giant hole in midfield was a gross mistake.

I could go on but none of last season was any good and we got what we deserved.

We need a manager who can look at everything from the top down and bring organisation to the playing team and identify needs not end up with four right backs and Martin Woods in midfield.

Archibald has taken the club down and I just have no confidence based on our collapse that he will get us back on the right track. He needs to develop and we need a strong hand in charge for the season ahead. It has to be time for a parting of the ways, imo.

The club can't afford a repeat of last season as we'd have more chance of going down again rather than getting anywhere near promotion. 

tl;dr The team can't create chances can't keep them out and doesn't even have a gameplan which is effective.  

That Archibald has never assembled a squad that won the Championship.

When he came in, he did improve the team (particularly away from home) but the squad was already the best in the division. That isn’t the case this time, and we need major work done this summer on a scale Archibald has never had to do before.

Ah Ok - you are right. I did miss that point. Are you sure he hasn’t had to recruit 8 to 10 players before in the seasons we have been in the premiership. This year didn’t work and maybe the championship is a different animal.

Many of the repeated errors that lead to our eventual demise have been present for most, if not all, of Archies tenure which is why a change is needed. Its hard to see much reason to rush back to games next season when he is still at the helm.

Seems we are all fairly in agreement we don't trust Archie to make the right signings to rebuild the team and no one really wants Duffy/Yogi/Houston/McIntyre et al. I wouldn't be surprised if the board are feeling the same way. Pretty much means unless we have any surprisingly decent managers looking around then it will probably be status quo. Would also expect the board to be looking at minimum being in the play offs next season, if Archie does stay and if early on it doesn't look like this will be delivered, I reckon he will be gone. 

I just had a look at the released St Mirren players and their remaining squad and can't say it looks particularly great, wouldn't be interested in any of the released players even for the Championship. Jack Ross must be some manager. 

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Last season was a joke. We didn't even have a routine to keep possession from throw ins or goal kicks. 

The possession game is okay in principle but not with the pedestrian passing we employed. Sideways passes resulting in a handful of chances being created on average every game. The opposition more often than not created double the amount and in a game of percentages that is only going to result in defeats over the course of a season.

In hindsight signing two forwards at the transfer deadline when there was, and remains a giant hole in midfield was a gross mistake.

I could go on but none of last season was any good and we got what we deserved.

We need a manager who can look at everything from the top down and bring organisation to the playing team and identify needs not end up with four right backs and Martin Woods in midfield.

Archibald has taken the club down and I just have no confidence based on our collapse that he will get us back on the right track. He needs to develop and we need a strong hand in charge for the season ahead. It has to be time for a parting of the ways, imo.

The club can't afford a repeat of last season as we'd have more chance of going down again rather than getting anywhere near promotion. 

tl;dr The team can't create chances can't keep them out and doesn't even have a gameplan which is effective.  

the big thing that sticks out for me - ignoring cups, by my count we were winning at any point in the match 19 times last season out of 38 league games + the 2 playoff ties against Livingston.

Of those 19 matches we only held on for the win a feeble 8 times, drawing 5 and losing 6. I make that 25 points dropped in the league, as well as a major failure to hang on for dear life when leading away to Livi.

edit: double checked and corrected the above, I'd missed out the last day win against Dundee!

Then there's the 4-0 loss against County, the 3-0 first half disgrace against Hearts, 5-1 against Killie... and you can go back as far as the post-split shambles last season for somehow even *worse* results.

I'm still pretty torn about whether keeping him to see if he's able to work with a reduced budget next year to get us back up first time of asking (that BBC article is pretty clear that returning to the top flight almost immediately is extremely important to keep the club financially healthy) - but even if he does, can we trust him for the following year to keep us up?

I'm certain, admittedly only with hindsight, that getting rid of Archibald last season would have given us a strong fighting chance of finding someone that could find a way to graft out the points to keep us up with what we had, and would maybe have decided to make changes in January. It's done now, though.

I'd say this; I think keeping him would be a braver decision than getting rid, but also riskier. I'm guessing he'll want to stay himself out of professional pride, if nothing else.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely