The Partick Thistle thread

If Gerry Britton is set to become the new General Manager does that give the club the option of moving Archie sideways to run the academy and then bring in a new manager ? Might save on the compensation required if they were to sack him.

If Gerry Britton is set to become the new General Manager does that give the club the option of moving Archie sideways to run the academy and then bring in a new manager ? Might save on the compensation required if they were to sack him.

Can't see that happening, think him and Paterson are either going to stay on in their current roles or get mutually consent'd.

I'm guessing there will be a statement to confirm either way whether they're being kept on or whether he'll leave by the end of the week at the latest. Not too sure how they'll handle ST sales/renewals either.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I’m coming round to giving Archie another chance next season, on the assumption that he’ll hopefully have learned a lot about himself this season and become a better manager for it. And he’ll hopefully know how to fix the mess he’s created.

Granted, his choice of full backs / treatment of Penrice leaves me fucking baffled. As have some of his team selections.

Give him the summer to rebuild a team that play good football with a focus on hungry young players, target must be top two - ideally win the league but at least be in latter stages of playoffs.

3 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Under contract
Tomas Cerny
Jamie Sneddon
Niall Keown
James Penrice
Adam Barton
Blair Spittal
Christie Elliott
Chris Erskine
Ryan Edwards
Andrew McCarthy
Kris Doolan
Miles Storey

Out of contract
Ryan Scully
Danny Devine
Callum Booth
Paul McGinn
Mustapha Dumbuya
Stuart Bannigan
Abdul Osman
Gary Fraser
Martin Woods
Steven Lawless
Kevin Nisbet

End of Loan
Conor Sammon
Baily Cargill

I think that's about right. Relegation clauses could see a few more move on too.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Can’t wait to see the back of almost all of that out of contract list.

Lawless the only one I’d make any effort whatsoever to keep. If Archie is still around (:shutup) I think Bannigan might get another chance as well.

This was my thoughts exactly. Bannigan if he can get his knee sorted and get back to a similar form would walk the Championship. Looking very likely Lawless is away. 

Would love to get a decent winger back, Higgy or similar would be nice as we seem to have lacked creativity in that area. Chris Millar would be an ideal signing, imagine we might be a bit late to the table. 

If Archie is going to go and the only options are the like of Duffy/McIntyre/Yogi then absolutely f**k that, I'd rather have Archie. I do think it's time for him to step down though. I think two former central defenders that couldn't put together even a half decent defence for the entire season, even at our budget isn't good enough. 

Edited by thistledo

From both lists, I would keep Cerny, Keown, Penrice, Elliott, Erskine, McCarthy, Doolan, Bannigan (only on pay-as-you-play/reduced terms/short-term contract to prove his fitness) and Lawless. Barton would absolutely stroll the Championship (in a similar way Harkins did when he was with us) if he decided he could be arsed, however his attitude in the last 12 months has been abysmal, and for that reason, I would get shot if we can.

Suspect that we may be left with a few under-contract players that we won't be able to get rid of, though. Can't see anyone rushing to get Miles Storey anytime soon. Can see Edwards staying as well. Not so sure about Keown, and I'm about 95% sure Lawless is off. If Archie stays, I can see Woods being offered a new deal, despite being utterly shite, and Gary Fraser/Kevin Nisbet as well, just because of Archie's hard-on for them.

2 hours ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Normally wouldn't care a jot about Partick Thistle but your endless nitpicking and abuse on another topic has undoubtedly inspired an emotion of schadenfreude following my predicted demotion.

Well, if it's a choice between Championship football and having such an effect on a boring, narrow-minded, xenophobic "ooft, I pure hate them Inglish so I do" tit, and being said boring, narrow-minded, xenophobic tit, I think I'll stay where I am thanks bbz x

2 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Image result for confused gif

Reading it back, that was pretty shit wasn't it?  Wasn't very clear, I admit.  Just meaning that the top 5 were far, far away in terms of quality (well, apart from Hearts when we played them possibly) from everyone else.  Both last season and the one previous it was a bit of a crap-shoot as to who filled up 6th.  Last season it was us, previous one it was Ross County.  Neither of us were a huge amount better than those that finished behind us.  Had we gone out in those post-split games and given a better account of ourselves, I think we'd deserve more credit, but as it was it started the horrible slide to where we are now.

8 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

From both lists, I would keep Cerny, Keown, Penrice, Elliott, Erskine, McCarthy, Doolan, Bannigan (only on pay-as-you-play/reduced terms/short-term contract to prove his fitness) and Lawless. Barton would absolutely stroll the Championship (in a similar way Harkins did when he was with us) if he decided he could be arsed, however his attitude in the last 12 months has been abysmal, and for that reason, I would get shot if we can.

He's definitely got the attributes to get the cigars out again like he did last season, but I could see him just getting the shit kicked out of him one tier below.  He really doesn't like that.  If we can get in a load of other far more hard working players, we can afford to have a luxury player like that.  He sticks out for extra abuse though when he's alongside other champagne shitebags like him.

He signed in the 08/09 season so this season coming is his testimonial season.  I'm sure the club mentioned it would be his testimonial year when he signed his deal to take him up to 2019 but nothing since.

Elliott would still have another 3 seasons to go before reaching his testimonial.

I don't see either leaving tbh.

I don't think testimonials at this level (edit: I mean in Scotland, regardless of Premiership or Championship unless you're an OF player) are very lucrative but I'd be astounded if Doolan left for a few more quid elsewhere in the summer and knocked that on the head. He's got a very good chance of finishing up as our second top goalscorer of all time,  in fact if my memory is correct he could even do it next season as he's only about 13 or 14 goals away.

I can't see any of Doolan, Erskine, Cerny, or Elliott leaving. Beyond that, who knows.

Edited by Fuctifano

Partick Thistle's board should retain faith in manager Alan Archibald and "resist drastic changes" following their Scottish Premiership relegation, says Ian McCall.

"The one thing they've got to do is stick with their manager," McCall said.

"Archie's already proved he can win that league and proved himself a terrific young manager. Knowing him, and [chairman] David Beattie does know him, this will just make him more determined to get it right.

"They've got to resist drastic changes and put faith in him. Alan will know if they don't start the season well, then he'll be under pressure, but I think the time for big change isn't now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44195234

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

I wonder who Archie will bring in for next season?
I look forward to him pouring over an entire squad of players during preseason signing none then getting in 10 panic signings 3 days before the first game.

Classic.

Sean Welsh is available...

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

I wonder who Archie will bring in for next season?
I look forward to him pouring over an entire squad of players during preseason signing none then getting in 10 panic signings 3 days before the first game.

Classic.

Why panic sign when you can just go down to the physio room and see whoever looks the most fucked?