The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, John Lambie said:

You're a dour faced so and so.        We've got a website for talent spotting and probably a YouTube search for "name-surname best bits" to confirm it.   Adam Barton must have looked like Franco Baresi when Archie went snooping.  

Or a realist?  Yes, that sounds like a good guess at what we have in place. Milan Nitriansky probably looked pretty useful too.

7 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Or a realist?  Yes, that sounds like a good guess at what we have in place. Milan Nitriansky probably looked pretty useful too.

Unfortunately it's not a guess.     The club have been proud to tell us about their fancydan website where we talent spot. 

By all means, use technology, but go and see the guy a couple of times with yer mouth wheesht so he doesn't just put on a show. 

Aye we could really do with a decent old fashioned scout like Bob Dinnie on our books as our current way of spotting talent is quite pish to say the least. 

I'm dreading who we are going to sign, but part of me is remaining hopeful. 

1 hour ago, John Lambie said:

Unfortunately it's not a guess.     The club have been proud to tell us about their fancydan website where we talent spot. 

By all means, use technology, but go and see the guy a couple of times with yer mouth wheesht so he doesn't just put on a show. 

It's called transfermarkt.com that's certainly how they sourced Baily Cargill :angel

6 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Aye we could really do with a decent old fashioned scout like Bob Dinnie on our books as our current way of spotting talent is quite pish to say the least. 

I'm dreading who we are going to sign, but part of me is remaining hopeful. 

I think we had an actual scout but he got a coaching role at Torquay United.

Player recruitment has to be vastly improved on this season. There has to be a mix of computer analysis and old school scouting, imo.

Player recruitment is so hit and miss even more so when you drop down a level or two. 

It's not just about identifying players that will improve the current squad, we could all do that, but more about identifying players that will improve the squad and fit in with the finances of the Club. 

It's anything but an exact science and up until last summer our recruitment policy had generally been more hit than miss. Last summer it was significantly more miss than hit but, aside from some concern re the timing of the signings, I don't recall being unhappy at the time with the recruitment which shows just how hard it is. 

Part of the problem centres around the fact that others are bound to be looking at the same players we are especially the Scotland based ones (I really don't think we have the budget now to attract decent players from England and they tend to be late signings in any case as their contracts run longer). What can we offer that others can't? More money? Better chance of promotion? Not sure we can answer yes to either of those questions. 

Maybe it's still relegation blues but I foresee a really tough, tough summer ahead. 

11 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Player recruitment has to be vastly improved on this season. There has to be a mix of computer analysis and old school scouting, imo.

Is there no scout at all now? That seems odd to me. Definitely agree anyway. 

Just watched the Archie Jag zone interview... 

Some players still have the right to exercise the release clause, he didn't name names but there aren't many left to do so, Spittal seems to be one of them. 

The 3 transfer listed ones was odd, he said we can't afford to keep them and we've had to make them available for free transfer but they might still be part of our plans? Also said it was because we'd paid a fee for them, but we're letting them go for free? :unsure2:

Recruitment will largely be Scottish based because the English league starts later and players from down south cost more due to relocation / accommodation etc 

No specific development / reserve squad budget, which is partly why that squad was decimated as well need to focus more on the first team. Assume the Weir academy funding goes up to under 18s?

Pitch was being relaid in the background. 

Edited by Fuctifano

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I think it's till the start of July?

In fact there's no early bird price this season and you have until 3 July to reserve your seat if renewing.

Cheers for the answer.

Will Scott McKenzie be taking up Gerry's previous role then? 99% sure he was heading up Thistle Weir.

I think it was Britton who helped draft the club's position on Project Brave which was a good rclarification of our position on why the youth setup would pretty much be carrying on as, is rather than trying to tick all the boxes for elite status or whatever it is.

He should do a good job, I think.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

It's called transfermarkt.com that's certainly how they sourced Baily Cargill :angel

This is clearly out of date but it seems it was Gary Owers who was with you.  As you say he's managing Torquay United now.

He was at Fir Park for about 3 months before moving to take up the Gateshead assistant manager's job. IIRC it was him who put us on to Johnson and Moult. We got those two, you guys got Ade Azeez and Adam Barton...you win some, you lose some I guess.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

The 3 transfer listed ones was odd, he said we can't afford to keep them and we've had to make them available for free transfer but they might still be part of our plans? Also said it was because we'd paid a fee for them, but we're letting them go for free? :unsure2:

My understanding of the three transfer listed players is that they did not have a relegation clause in their contracts and thus their wages remain at the level they were last year. Without knowing the exact figures involved, you'd expect that will be quite a significant amount hence the necessity to get them off the books, even if it means allowing them to leave for nothing. If we can't shift them then they'll have to stay and earn their money.

I can't see many teams queuing up to take Keown but suspect a few clubs will be happy to take Storey and especially Barton.

20 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

My understanding of the three transfer listed players is that they did not have a relegation clause in their contracts and thus their wages remain at the level they were last year. Without knowing the exact figures involved, you'd expect that will be quite a significant amount hence the necessity to get them off the books, even if it means allowing them to leave for nothing. If we can't shift them then they'll have to stay and earn their money.

I can't see many teams queuing up to take Keown but suspect a few clubs will be happy to take Storey and especially Barton.

I got that bit but was confused by the conflicting statements around "we've paid a fee for them" as if we were looking to recoup some of that but also letting them go for free to get them off the wage bill due to being on top flight wages. 

Seems odd we didn't put wage reduction clauses in, but maybe they wouldn't have signed if we did. 

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I got that bit but was confused by the conflicting statements around "we've paid a fee for them" as if we were looking to recoup some of that but also letting them go for free to get them off the wage bill due to being on top flight wages. 

Seems odd we didn't put wage reduction clauses in, but maybe they wouldn't have signed if we did. 

Should've taken that as a sign then. Although to be fair Barton was good as a sweeper last season.

2 hours ago, Flashman said:

Should've taken that as a sign then. Although to be fair Barton was good as a sweeper last season.

Any examples? I thought he was pretty horrific throughout.

3 minutes ago, Flashman said:

Season 16-17? Plenty. That's how he got our player of the year. 17-18, very few.

I see what you mean now :lol:

5 minutes ago, Flashman said:

Season 16-17? Plenty. That's how he got our player of the year. 17-18, very few.

Season just finished he was outstanding v Ross County just before New Year (2-0), and very good v Kilmarnock in April.

But as you alluded, these were too few compared to the top 6 season.