Squads for France & Italy

Exactly as I expected the game would play out to be brutally honest. We were depleted, they were depleted, the game was flatter than a duff Tennent's, and can't begrudge a defeat.

Don't think there are too many positives to take, and it was a little bit annoying that the likes of Kingsley and McKay get brought in (albeit as replacements for call-offs) and don't get on. Strachan made the point before the game about not bringing on players too quickly and ruining them, yet Oli Burke - who has just turned 19 - gets some game time. I think we've seen enough of the likes of Mulgrew, Naismith etc to know what they can do.

Not expecting much to change for next Saturday, just feels dreadful timing to be playing these kind of games.

Can you honestly expect him to throw on a whole load of youngsters against a team like that? Paterson, Burke and Philips will do, hopefully Kingsley and mckay will get some time against France.

We shouldn't even be playing these teams though. We know we will show up, play with men behind the ball and lose narrowly. Can we just focus on the 2nd-5th tier teams that we actually have to go and beat

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do I need a ban?

Italy ain't the best in the world, we didn't have a go and we got beat.

So really struggling to understand your point

Well done on outing yourself you complete cretin

Can you honestly expect him to throw on a whole load of youngsters against a team like that? Paterson, Burke and Philips will do, hopefully Kingsley and mckay will get some time against France.

We shouldn't even be playing these teams though. We know we will show up, play with men behind the ball and lose narrowly. Can we just focus on the 2nd-5th tier teams that we actually have to go and beat

It's a fair point, just felt that, even for the last 20 minutes or so, we give them a chance to show what they can do.  If we are expecting these types of player to be pushing for a starting place in WC qualifying, testing them against superior opposition - even for a brief spell in what is essentially a friendly - is a way to do it.  Not saying we pitch them in for the full 90 minutes, but at least give them an opportunity.  How else do we expect them to develop - if they do well against the '2nd to 5th tier' teams and we win comfortably, as in some cases is expected, what do they learn?

Beating Croatia in a friendly before our last qualifying campaign didn't guarantee that we'd storm through the qualifiers, and this performance doesn't prove that we will get battered by everyone in a vain attempt to get to Russia.

It's a friendly. It doesn't really matter.

It's genuinely staggering that people still believe we have a competent manager in charge.

"Who would do a better job?" we're always told.

The "Tartan Army" idolise him (f**k knows why) and the media are absolutely terrified of him. He's just about untouchable. Strachan must be pissing himself laughing. I can only hope that his own arrogance and pigheadedness will lead to him resigning after our inevitable collapse during the World Cup Qualifying campaign. He'll absolve himself of any blame of course.

Whilst we persist with him as our manager and whilst we pin our future hopes on players like John McGinn, we'll continue to be the laughing stock of international football for years to come.

This is what the Tartan Army wanted.

People can knock the English Championship all they like, their play-off final is still the richest game in world football and, outwith the Old Firm, it makes Scotland's Premiership look like 'jumpers for goalposts' with financial differences alone. 

As for the game, by Scotland's standards holding Italy to 1-0 probably isn't the worst result.  However, match reports suggest that it could well have been more for Italy.  At least this may work as prep for the Malta away game.  No reason why we can't go over there and give them a 2-0 pumping. 

First of all though, France away.  When it comes to sport, France tend to blow hot and cold.  If they play to their best then we can forget it.  If they have a stinker then MAYBE Scotland can edge it :thumsup2

Why do I need a ban?

Italy ain't the best in the world, we didn't have a go and we got beat.

So really struggling to understand your point

Oh dear. Rumbled. Too thick to log out of his alias account before replying. Wonder how he'll try and explain this.

It's genuinely staggering that people still believe we have a competent manager in charge.

The "Tartan Army" idolise him (f**k knows why) and the media are absolutely terrified of him. He's just about untouchable. Strachan must be pissing himself laughing. I can only hope that his own arrogance and pigheadedness will lead to him resigning after our inevitable collapse during the World Cup Qualifying campaign. He'll absolve himself of any blame of course.

Whilst we persist with him as our manager and whilst we pin our future hopes on players like John McGinn, we'll continue to be the laughing stock of international football for years to come.

Being you must be absolutely terrible.

We shouldn't be playing teams like Italy and France, we know they are better than us, setting up one upfront and defending for 90 mins.

We should be going up against more eastern european teams in friendlies.

Of course we should be. That's the shape the team takes every game and if we're to move forward as a team, you need to test yourself against the better sides.

Which Eastern European sides should we be playing out of interest?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1-0 against any Italian side with the negative tactics Strachan employs is not a horrendous result IMO. Are there any positives? No other than fact we got a game under our belts in Malta where we will play in a few months.......

The biggest negative for me though is the Manager continuing to play some of his chosen/favoured ones in Friendlies where the result means absolutely nothing......Its been said already but seriously, what is Strachan going to learn about people like Charlie Mulgrew, Steven Fletcher, Steven Naismith etc that he doesn't already know???

Before Forameus jumps in with his usual.......Friendlies are the only place that we can try new players out without the gamble of throwing them in when it matters so what is the Managers reluctance all about? I would rather lose a friendly than a game where it matters so what does he have to lose?

Saturday he will return to his tried and tested faves again, well the ones who are available, and what will we learn? We will learn that the French know exactly who Steven Fletcher is, a nailed on starter given he has been playing in France......We will learn that despite being awful for Norwich that Steven Naismith will always be the man played behind the lone striker even though he is nothing more than a poor mans Kenny Miller.........Finally we will learn that despite having some exciting options at Left Back, Charlie Mulgrew who is now 30 injury Prone and lacking pace will be the first choice in whichever position the Manager deems him to be, even though he is the same Manager who punted him from Celtic all those years ago........

Before Forameus jumps in with his usual.......Friendlies are the only place that we can try new players out without the gamble of throwing them in when it matters so what is the Managers reluctance all about? I would rather lose a friendly than a game where it matters so what does he have to lose?

Yass, I got a personal mention :wub:

Not really sure what my usual is - maybe you could just post it for me and I could copy it?  Cheers doll.

Your overreaction is hilarious though.  It's a post-season friendly where a lot of key players are out for various reasons.  We lost 1-0 to a side much better than us.  If players are that good, then I don't think they're going to fall apart being put in against Malta just because they didn't feature in an absolutely nothing game against Italy. 

Let's face it, if we'd won, you'd still have found a way to complain about something.  Although you managed to write that whole post without frothing at the mouth over Hutton, so that's something I suppose.

If Robertson or Tierney weren't involved with their clubs they'd be starting at left back in these games over Mulgrew though. The only reason Mulgrew is playing there is because Tierney will be starting over him in Celtics European qualifiers next month.

Archived