Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Probably about 10% of the £5.5m QPR have just got.  

While I'd like for it to be more, it's still not a bad return for a player we got for £50k 18 months ago.

He's got 2 years to go on his deal so realistically if we were going to get the best price for him now is the time to sell. If it is actually the case that we've got our budgets in order then presumably we're in a position where we're happy to sell for our valuation but don't need to sell, though clearly we've been burned in the past taking that position. It depends how much the buying club want him and how quickly they want a deal done.

Given we apparently received £200k for an out of contract 19 year old who's moved to Brighton's u21s and played less than 20 first team games then I'd be a bit more hopeful than Desp as far as valuation goes. For a 25 year old key first team player with 50+ games under his belt for us and 2 years to run on his deal £750k-£850k plus add ons wouldn't seem outrageous especially relative to the English market. How much did May go for to Wednesday from St Johnstone and how long did he have left on his deal?

It'd be helpful if there were a couple of Championship sides interested tbh.

Personally I think McManus and Hammell played like they didn't have a care in the world yesterday and I remember at the albion rovers game last weekend that McManus made a mistake that led to their goal he started laughing about it.  That to me shows how seriously they are taking pre season.  I just hope they look like we resemble a team against Rangers on Saturday.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

You can call it the defence bedding in, or you can call it Hammell and McManus being absolute horse. 

IDK, depends what you think.

I only had a quick swatch of the highlights yesterday but did 3 of the 4 goals not originate down the right hand side of the pitch?

Not saying Hammell and McManus weren't also at fault like but to lay the blame of that defensive shambles at the feet of two players seems overly simplistic.

6 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I only had a quick swatch of the highlights yesterday but did 3 of the 4 goals not originate down the right hand side of the pitch?

Not saying Hammell and McManus weren't also at fault like but to lay the blame of that defensive shambles at the feet of two players seems overly simplistic.

Is unfair of me, actually. I thought it'd been McManus that'd lost Cummings for the second. I was going with McManus missing headers for the 1st and 3rd, but nah, you're right, they're all culpable.

I remember being at Somerset Park a few years ago and watched us lose 4-0 in a pre-season friendly. 

Yes, it's disappointing to lose heavily, but I'd much rather the players make their mistakes in games like these.  Utterly meaningless matches. 

Three points on Saturday and all will be right with the world again.  

Fans shouldn't take them too serious either, although it would have been nice to see the defence be a bit more solid.

As someone mentioned Hibs have a European game this week and should be ready for a competitive match, whereas we only have Sevco on Saturday. ;)

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Given we apparently received £200k for an out of contract 19 year old who's moved to Brighton's u21s and played less than 20 first team games then I'd be a bit more hopeful than Desp as far as valuation goes. For a 25 year old key first team player with 50+ games under his belt for us and 2 years to run on his deal £750k-£850k plus add ons wouldn't seem outrageous especially relative to the English market. How much did May go for to Wednesday from St Johnstone and how long did he have left on his deal?

Difference is the laws of the game enforced the fee on Brighton whereas any bid for Marvin would have no such regulations.

Difference is the laws of the game enforced the fee on Brighton whereas any bid for Marvin would have no such regulations.

My point was more that they still paid £200k for a player to go into their development team regardless of whether they were obliged to by rules or not. They saw £200k as a fair price for a player of Hall's limited experience and (potential) ability.

22 hours ago, Indyboy said:

What you reckon the result will be on Saturday ? Might stick a fiver on 2-2.

I don't see us winning with our absentees and there is this nagging feeling that Ian Baraclough will go down in history as being the only Motherwell manager of recent times to beat a side called Rangers.

2-1 to Rangers.