Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Łukasz said:

I'd almost always take a top without sponsorship on it.

A few years back, when they fucked up getting a sponsor, they released a puma top with no sponsor logo (out of desperation) for a short time - I bought it for the novelty value (and because I was heading on a european away trip to Breidablik IIRC) - but I'm surprised that Motorpoint are into it this time. Does this indicate that it isn't a mega deal where the sponsor calls all the shots? :) 

A few years back, when they fucked up getting a sponsor, they released a puma top with no sponsor logo (out of desperation) for a short time - I bought it for the novelty value (and because I was heading on a european away trip to Breidablik IIRC) - but I'm surprised that Motorpoint are into it this time. Does this indicate that it isn't a mega deal where the sponsor calls all the shots? [emoji4] 

Yeah I remember that. The top was our nicest in the last 20 years IMO. At least since the half claret half amber Pony effort was about.

A few years back, when they fucked up getting a sponsor, they released a puma top with no sponsor logo (out of desperation) for a short time - I bought it for the novelty value (and because I was heading on a european away trip to Breidablik IIRC) - but I'm surprised that Motorpoint are into it this time. Does this indicate that it isn't a mega deal where the sponsor calls all the shots? [emoji4] 

I was wondering that myself however if it's the case that the club have purposely decided to be *ahem* more 'discerning' in their choice of sponsors then it limits their potential options and by extension limits the potential investment. while I'm sure the club would be aiming to maximise revenue they may be happy to balance things out with an open working relationship.

in a way it might actually be beneficial to the club (though not in cash terms) if they've got a sponsorship deal that allows them to be a bit more flexible with what they can & can't do within the terms. the fact that within the space of a day they seem to have been able to act on apparent demand is a pretty good thing IMO.

10 hours ago, Swello said:

A few years back, when they fucked up getting a sponsor, they released a puma top with no sponsor logo (out of desperation) for a short time - I bought it for the novelty value (and because I was heading on a european away trip to Breidablik IIRC) - but I'm surprised that Motorpoint are into it this time. Does this indicate that it isn't a mega deal where the sponsor calls all the shots? :) 

Let's be honest we aren't even going to sell that many replica strips. If half the support bought one, and that seems way more than would actually do so, it would be about 2,000 strips.

It's different if it's a huge club that sells hundreds of thousands of shirts (Real Madrid sell 1,500,000 per year) but 99% of the value of a sponsorship deal will come from media exposure of the club and players, not from what fans are wearing.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more end up at Oldham. Ainsworth possibly? Although I see he's playing again today so maybe we do intend to keep him.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Oldham were to sign Joe Chalmers...

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Not sure about that either

I don’t mind blue kits as it’s a historical reference to the colour we predominantly used pre the 1913 introduction of claret and amber. The teams we were formed from (Glencairn and Alpha) both wore blue, so it’s a significant part of our kit history. Judging by the new all amber, all white kits, I fully expect the kit to be all blue.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few more end up at Oldham. Ainsworth possibly? Although I see he's playing again today so maybe we do intend to keep him.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if Oldham were to sign Joe Chalmers...

Former Motherwell players Connor Ripley and Lee Erwin have also signed for Oldham today - both on season-long loans.

I don’t mind blue kits as it’s a historical reference to the colour we predominantly used pre the 1913 introduction of claret and amber. The teams we were formed from (Glencairn and Alpha) both wore blue, so it’s a significant part of our kit history. Judging by the new all amber, all white kits, I fully expect the kit to be all blue.

Aye. I think so. Think it'll be a different blue than before.

Good luck to Law, by no means a great player but far from the worst I've seen in a Motherwell strip. Not the most talented but he always gave his all and he didn't hide during the Baraclough debacle unlike several of his more revered, talented team mates who chucked it completely. Actually make it 2 goals and about 10 assists over the last two seasons for Law which is more of a contribution than I thought. Not exactly sad to see him go mind and if it can help free up wages for McGhee to bring in his preferred central midfield target then it's a good bit of business as he'd have been no more than a squad player this season.

Can't really asses Robinson's departure as unlike players it's hard to actually quantify the quality of an assistant manager based on what we're seeing on the pitch. Seems to be highly regarded though, be interesting to see how he gets on with Law, Ripley and Erwin in League 1. 

Anyway I see the reserves plus Moult, McHugh and Heneghan came from behind to beat Dumbarton 2-1 this morning, Ross Maclean and Craig Moore with the goals. As expected most of the players you'd imagine would start against Rangers next Saturday look set to be playing at Easter Road tomorrow.

Edited by Casagolda

19 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Anyway I see the reserves plus Moult, McHugh and Heneghan came from behind to beat Dumbarton 2-1 this morning, Ross Maclean and Craig Moore with the goals. As expected most of the players you'd imagine would start against Rangers next Saturday look set to be playing at Easter Road tomorrow.

There was a guy Periscoping the game, caught a bit of the 2nd half, missed the Dumbarton goal but it looked like a tidy finish from Moore for his goal. Rounded the goalkeeper. Kennedy subbed off for Heneghan at H/T. Seems both Moult and Thomas missed a couple of sitters early on.

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Rumour is that it will be all denim like the Napoli 3rd kit from a couple of seasons ago

gDkLpK9.jpg

Just watched the highlights of today's game. Dumbarton's goal is a cracker of an overhead kick.

Absolutely hilarious WTF?! finish from him. Actually looked a fairly decent game, certainly compared to the last couple. Seemed like the trialist we had playing was knocking some good passes around.

Yeah for a friendly game it was played at a decent tempo throughout, Dumbarton are not a bad wee side as well.

Thought their goal was quite poor defending but well finished nonetheless, we created chances first half but with no clinical finishing, I thought we upped the tempo a bit more second half and in the end probably deserved the win,  was pleased to see Moore have a hand in both goals.