Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Carl McHugh.  However, he's already up there as one my of favourite players.

Spectacular meltdowns from League 2 (absolute pub level fitba, btw.  Hoofball) Plymouth Argyle.

Quite pleased with this signing and its also one over on Derek Adams which is always good. 

He just signed David Goodwillie who has done virtually nothing for a few years now so good luck to Adams enjoying english football mediocrity.  The Plymouth fans meltdown is hilarious!

Interesting wee snippet from McGhee in the blurb on the club website: "In terms of our recruitment, we would still like to bring in one central midfielder and we have a specific target in mind. However to do that whilst ensuring we keep a tight grip on our budget we're going to have to wheel and deal a little."

So, possibly a couple out and one in?

Interesting wee snippet from McGhee in the blurb on the club website: "In terms of our recruitment, we would still like to bring in one central midfielder and we have a specific target in mind. However to do that whilst ensuring we keep a tight grip on our budget we're going to have to wheel and deal a little."

So, possibly a couple out and one in?

I'm still amazed Ainsworth is here, tbh. Not a slight on him at all, as I'm sure I've stated before, I think he's great. However, for what he'll be earning, to what he's currently contributing, the money is probably better spent elsewhere.

If possible, I'd be offloading Law & Chalmers well before I'd be getting rid of Ainsworth.

I know he can be a frustrating player, and criticism is certainly merited on occasions, but look at what he's contributed to our football club over the last three seasons.  The figures are outstanding.  I still believe he has a lot to offer to Motherwell.

If Marvin Johnson was to get injured on the opening day of the season, who would you prefer to come in to replace him - Dom Thomas or Lionel Ainsworth?  An absolute no brainer for me. 

Our scouts and I have watched the player for some time now and all the reports we have from others who know him are very positive indeed

wonder if the scout = Jim Gannon. this seems to be the kind of transfers he got a hold of.

If possible, I'd be offloading Law & Chalmers well before I'd be getting rid of Ainsworth.

I know he can be a frustrating player, and criticism is certainly merited on occasions, but look at what he's contributed to our football club over the last three seasons.  The figures are outstanding.  I still believe he has a lot to offer to Motherwell.

If Marvin Johnson was to get injured on the opening day of the season, who would you prefer to come in to replace him - Dom Thomas or Lionel Ainsworth?  An absolute no brainer for me. 

I fully agree with you, fwiw, I was more looking at it from McGhee's point of view. He's the only player in the squad that can change a game in a split second, for me.

I was wondering if he was still here because we're actively trying to punt Johnson, more than anything. It does seem mad to have two wingers of that quality, and on those wages, when we're only ever going to play one at a time, though.

I don't see why not, Busta. 

If you gave Ainsworth the free role Marvin Johnson had in that front three, along with Moult and McDonald, I think he'd excel.

I'm not one for stats, but he can't be far off 25 goals and 25 assists in those three seasons.  That's not something that should just be given away without serious thought. 

I'm still crossing fingers that County go in for Ainsworth.  However, given that McGhee insisted to local press last week that no contact had been made, and that he played for Motherwell at the weekend when County flew out to the training camp, then I don't think it'll be happening.

I don't think McGhee thinks Ainsworth can play in his system at all

I think he's great but at County the 442 system demands that the wingers track full-backs and not pass them on to anyone else.  Maybe there was truth in the rumour of interest but they didn't follow it up.  I agree with the game-changer sentiment though, County have a glaring hole in their squad for someone like that.

I don't see why not, Busta. 

If you gave Ainsworth the free role Marvin Johnson had in that front three, along with Moult and McDonald, I think he'd excel.

I'm not one for stats, but he can't be far off 25 goals and 25 assists in those three seasons.  That's not something that should just be given away without serious thought. 

23 goals and 27 assists, I think. He got 8 assists last season by my reckoning despite his limited involvement. That's the same as Johnson and only one less than McDonald, who got the most.

No doubt he's a cracking player, but he is such an enigma and if we aren't going to play him, I do think we could use the funds better elsewhere. Up there with the best in the country on a good day, as much use as a chocolate teapot on a bad one.

That said, I do agree with you regarding Law and Chalmers being out the door first. I do like Law, but I think we are more than adequately covered at right back so he is dispensable.

Edited by crazylegsjoe

I'll need to give that Plymouth forum a swatch.

I'm pleased to have finally signed a defensive midfielder. I've only heard of McHugh because he was in the Bradford team that got to the league cup final and I mind him scoring against Villa I think it was.

I'm also in the punt Law and Chalmers over Ainsworth camp.

The problem with Ainsworth is that he signed a new deal last summer and is presumably on considerably more than either Law or Chalmers. I think he definitely offers more than Law or Chalmers but it's difficult to justify having someone who's likely to be one of our higher earners sitting on the bench and it's a fair amount of budget to only be getting 20 or 30 minutes. Realistically it's becoming increasingly difficult to see where he fits in the side. McGhee tried him as part of the front 3 last season and it didn't really work, tried him in a 4231 and it was one of our worst performances of the season (though playing McDonald as a lone striker didn't really help much there).

In an ideal world I'd keep him but I can't help but think that if we could move on Law, Chalmers and Ainsworth then it'd help the balance of the squad if we could re-allocate that budget and bring in one (or even two) in the centre of midfield.

What I would say is that I could see us being a bit more flexible with Law and Chalmers, even if we could get them loaned out and off the wage bill it'd be a start. In Ainsworth's case he probably has a nominal value. I know you probably take McGhee's statements to the press with a pinch of salt but he seemed to confirm this the other week when he was asked about the Ross County link: "Every player is available at the right price. We run on tight budgets and have to consider every offer." http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/mcghee-denies-county-have-moved-for-ainsworth-1-4164918