Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Reading between the lines, I think the Pearson transfer has messed things up a bit. I don't think we were necessarily looking for another centre mid until he left (we would have had him, Cadden, Lasley, McHugh, and I guess the U20 guys too).

I still think this was a mistake, in that an attacking minded centre mid (in the Nicky Law mould) should have been the priority from the get-go.

Reading between the lines, I think the Pearson transfer has messed things up a bit. I don't think we were necessarily looking for another centre mid until he left (we would have had him, Cadden, Lasley, McHugh, and I guess the U20 guys too).

I still think this was a mistake, in that an attacking minded centre mid (in the Nicky Law mould) should have been the priority from the get-go.

I think there's definitely something in that, especially given Pearson was under contract. I'm not sure they saw a bid coming in for a 33 year old with a year on his deal. There's also the idea that Pearson may be back in January (given the time frame of the ISL) so if we're factoring in Pearson's wage for the 2nd half of the season it may well have caused a problem with the budget.

Ultimately if moving on our 4th choice striker allows us to bring in another midfielder then I'm fine with it, it definitely looks weird given he signed the new deal, but if it means we can add to the squad without selling say, Johnson (unless a legit decent offer comes in) then as things go it's a reasonable outcome for everyone: MFC get their player in an area they're short in, Moore gets to go to a club he performed well at and is guaranteed first team games.

So Moore signs a new contract and about 6 weeks later is sent out on loan for the duration of said contract.

McDonald also signs a new deal and now two weeks later is poised to follow Moore out the door. Leaving us with Blyth as our only recognised striker until Moult's back in September.  

The f**k is going? 

Edited by Casagolda

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I think there's definitely something in that, especially given Pearson was under contract. I'm not sure they saw a bid coming in for a 33 year old with a year on his deal. There's also the idea that Pearson may be back in January (given the time frame of the ISL) so if we're factoring in Pearson's wage for the 2nd half of the season it may well have caused a problem with the budget.

I'm presuming we're getting someone on loan until January, if they're good, we'll keep. If not, we bring back Pearson and or Moore.

McDonald...f**k knows man. Are we skint? Like, proper Dundee skint?

The McDonald thing is just weird, fair enough every player has a price etc but we knew what McDonald would cost us when budgets were being done (see the comment from McGhee about it being either/or not both with McDonald and El Bahktaoui). If Sydney have come in with an offer (though their chief exec seems to be denying they have) then there's a question to be answered by MFC, but I can't really see us actively hawking him around.

Edit: That's yer Alan Burrows confirming there have been no bids or enquires received for McDonald.

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Edit: That's yer Alan Burrows confirming there have been no bids or enquires received for McDonald.

While looking for this, I've just found him being asked to apologise for the bold yin chucking the ball over Wallace. :lol:

They've got awfully precious, eh?

23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

They've got awfully precious, eh?

It's properly weird, isn't it?  Such a large chunk of their support have just picked up the victim mentality baton, and ran like f**k with it.  

We should run a wee competition to get new words to replace "no one likes us, we don't care".  I'll start off with;

"Everyone utterly despises us, it turns out we really do care.  Why don't they like us?  Why?  Why?  Why?  IT'S A CONSPIRACY!  AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

It's properly weird, isn't it?  Such a large chunk of their support have just picked up the victim mentality baton, and ran like f**k with it.  

We should run a wee competition to get new words to replace "no one likes us, we don't care".  I'll start off with;

"Everyone utterly despises us, it turns out we really do care.  Why don't they like us?  Why?  Why?  Why?  IT'S A CONSPIRACY!  AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

Hahaha! I like it

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm presuming we're getting someone on loan until January, if they're good, we'll keep. If not, we bring back Pearson and or Moore.

McDonald...f**k knows man. Are we skint? Like, proper Dundee skint?

Who knows how much mileage there is in the McDonald story - but if it turns out to be true, there would be a Steelmen meltdown of historic proportions (with some justification). Given that Mcdonald has seemed to be a fairly reluctant (but key) member of our squad over the past 18 months, nothing would surprise me  - but if the club were accommodating enough to allow him out of a newly signed deal (or to have agreed a "free" release clause in a 1 year deal), then they will not come out of this looking good.

Indeed, it would be an utter humiliation for the club if it came to pass that a key player who'd just weeks ago signed a new contract was allowed to leave for free before the league season has even begun. Even by Motherwell FC standards, that would be an embarrassingly new low in the 'let's make ourselves look like an amateur outfit' stakes.

Hopefully it is just paper talk but there's no smoke without fire.

Pre-match press conferences are normally Thursdays and uploaded shortly after? I'd imagine that it'd be addressed one way or another then. It's interesting that only 2 papers have run the story, the Daily Mail and the Record not to mention the Mail amended their original story in line with The Record when the CEO of the team they originally linked McDonald with dismissed the story straight away.

Pre-match press conferences are normally Thursdays and uploaded shortly after? I'd imagine that it'd be addressed one way or another then. It's interesting that only 2 papers have run the story, the Daily Mail and the Record not to mention the Mail amended their original story in line with The Record when the CEO of the team they originally linked McDonald with dismissed the story straight away.

Keith Jackson has lifted stuff from other sources and packaged it as his story.
Not one quote or piece of evidence from Scotland's top sports journalist to back it up though.

Not one quote or piece of evidence from Scotland's top sports journalist to back it up though.

Yeah but the Mail originally ran it as being Sydney FC (per BBC gossip page that cited the Mail as the source). Sydney FC's CEO dismissed the story via a tweet early this AM. The Record then ran Jackson's version citing Western Sydney Wanderers as the team linked which was posted at 11:50.

The Mail have since amended their version (as of 14:17) with WSW as the team supposedly interested.

As you say though, there are no quotes and nothing to substantiate the story. Indeed Alan Burrows had already indicated that there have been no approaches or enquiries 2 hours prior to Jackson's version going live.

8 hours ago, mjw said:

Scott McDonald's move to Australia collapses as Motherwell demand a fee for striker

With a quote from Alan Burrows saying the club have blocked the move. 

What a complete non story this turned out to be. Maybe we should offer contracts to Murray Davidson and Jackson Irvine to get their dream moves to Fir Park but only if St J and Burton don't mind letting them go for free? Nonsense

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

Sense has prevailed and I'm pleased but McDonald's epic petted lip will be a sight to behold on Saturday :)  

Oh I dunno, I reckon that sometimes brings out the best in him...

Back to actual matters - hoping Blyth gives a good account of himself on Saturday.  He's a big unit, and whilst he's not looked up to speed in the games thus far (by all accounts) I have a hope that he can kick on in the same way Moult did.  Ultimately he has a good chunk of time now to prove himself with a run of games, a wee hat trick on Saturday wouldn't go amiss...