Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

18 hours ago, mjw said:

Oh dear,that's Cadden, McGhee and Craigan all away.
Pants will be wetted at this news.emoji1.png

Craigan isn't away, he has left his post with Northern Ireland and preparing the under 20s for the game tomorrow night.   Faddy and Craigan both overseeing training during the international break.

Craigan isn't away, he has left his post with Northern Ireland and preparing the under 20s for the game tomorrow night.   Faddy and Craigan both overseeing training during the international break.

Hadn't heard that about Craigan.

Agree with Yassin.  If he goes, good luck to him.  As long as the deal is good for Motherwell FC financially, that's the main thing here.

He's a big talent, but far better players have left us in the past and we've survived just fine. 

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Fairly meh about Johnson staying or going tbh

It seems like a good time to cash in. Decent form, good press and plenty of time left on his contract.

It works to our advantage that he put in a transfer request since it isn't us trying to sell him but his agent trying to get a club to meet our price.

In terms of Johnson the club have actively been trying to sell him so the whole "hands in a transfer request" thing is really just window dressing. If a club comes along and offers a decent fee then Motherwell aren't going to stand in his way.

Interesting to see Scott Mullen tweet saying the request isn't to "force" a move to Oxford as apparently they've given up on him. I'd have thought if he has taken that step then his agent would have an idea of what clubs are interested.

I'd say, for once, the club are in a really strong bargaining position for Johnson. He's got 2 years left on a deal so it's about a club trying to meet our valuation rather than him leaving on a pre-contract in January.

I'm not really that arsed if he goes, provided it's for a good sum of money.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'd say, for once, the club are in a really strong bargaining position for Johnson. He's got 2 years left on a deal so it's about a club trying to meet our valuation rather than him leaving on a pre-contract in January.

I'm not really that arsed if he goes, provided it's for a good sum of money.

In that respect you'd think with two days of the window to go it'd be in the interest of the buying to get a deal done rather than putting in speculative low-ball offers. As you say he's still got two years on his deal to go. I thought it had all gone suspiciously quiet on that front especially given there was a period where the club seemed to be talking him up at every opportunity. OK there was an element of that based on the interest from Oxford and McGhee was responding to questions based on that but equally it seemed as if it went from news stories running daily to nothing.

I still find the whole "hands in a transfer request" thing a bit weird as he's never not been for sale. Unless of course there's on offer on the table that he wants the club to go for. 

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Statement from the club re: the bold Marvin. Ooooft! Telt!

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/08/29/club-statement-marvin-johnson/

Quite bold indeed from the club. 

I'll be disappointed when Marvin goes. Think he gives our side a bit of genuine spark but do remember him going missing if a game isn't going our way. 

On the up side, I'd hope this could possibly push Ainsworth to some of his best form. Last season it was clear we couldn't really fit the two of them into the same team so if we've room for that kind of player with Marvin leaving, hopefully we'll see the best of Ainsworth again.

I can confirm that Steelmen Online was a bomb site following the transfer request.

Edit to add my personal favourite post:

"the transfer request shouldn't mean anything,if the club dont get the money there looking for then he goes nowhere and if he wants too go in the huff then he shouldn't train with the first team or be involved in any games."

Edited by well fan for life

I can confirm that Steelmen Online was a bomb site following the transfer request.

Edit to add my personal favourite post:

"the transfer request shouldn't mean anything,if the club dont get the money there looking for then he goes nowhere and if he wants too go in the huff then he shouldn't train with the first team or be involved in any games."

Was that on the taxi thread?

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

In that respect you'd think with two days of the window to go it'd be in the interest of the buying to get a deal done rather than putting in speculative low-ball offers. As you say he's still got two years on his deal to go.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

And there you have it. Johnson's transfer request explained. Player/agent feels the club have an unrealistic and prohibitive valuation of him.

It might also be in the best interest of the selling club to get a deal done and not be left with a player in a huff until January - a late-window transfer request is probably the stongest negotiating tactic a player can use in amicable circumstances.  Motherwell are quite right to hold their position, but there's a delicate balance to be had.