Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Glad to see some interviews being made and different options explored besides Robinson end of season - which I wouldn't be against.

Yeah, there seems to be an indication that they've already decided to stick with Robinson but I agree that it makes sense for them to have taken their time and spoke to others before making a decision. I think the win against Killie bought them a bit of breathing space.

John Hughes reported to be the new front runner for the job. 

I wouldn't be totally against this as he did well at Falkirk and Inverness - to an extent anyway - and seems the type to try and embrace the club he's at and build a rapport with the support, something McGhee certainly didn't do.

I'd be surprised though if we appointed a manager who's involved with another club though, god knows when we last did that.

Bit of a slap in the face for the Raith board if he does jump ship so soon.

I'm all for it because I think he's a poor manager. That said people who are generally seen as poor managers tend to cut their teeth at Motherwell and do well ie, Mark McGhee (first time at least), Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher so who knows how this'll pan out.

I'd just be glad that if Dundee do the unthinkable and bullet Hartley, he'll be nowhere near Dens.

Still hoping you appoint Valakari though as I reckon that could be a pretty exciting appointment for Scottish football whether he succeeds or fails.

Aye it'll be shades of Tommy McLean 20 years ago ditching Raith after a week for Dundee Utd if this happens. 

As I said, I'll be genuinely surprised if we appoint a manager who is currently at another club and no doubt pay some sort of compensation. I can't remember the last time we did that, (possibly Harri Kampman from Myypa 47 in 1998?) certainly from another Scottish club.

Hughes certainly wouldn't be my first choice but I can see him being an appointment in the mould of Terry Butcher or Stuart McCall in that he would be able to get us moving in the right direction for a period of time at least whilst building a decent relationship with the club and the support. It may not work out that way of course.

I would certainly take him ahead of Robinson or Valakari to be honest.

57 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Is it only the Motherwell job that Simo applies for, I wonder, or is it only Motherwell who shortlist him?  I remember him being close to getting the job before Baraclough got it.

I seem to remember his agent (Rudi Vata) touting him for the Killie job before Clark got it but yeah, it's curious. In fairness he's had a decent amount of success in Finland with SJK and with the whole ex-player thing makes it quite an natural association. Was his name not first mentioned after Baraclough was sacked though? I thought it was Van der Gaag who was the ex-player "close" to getting the job prior to Baraclough getting it. I don't remember him being touted as far back as 2014, especially as most of his success in Finland has only really come in the past couple of years.

Edit: there you go http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14266975.Simo_Valakari_in_the_running_for_Kilmarnock_manager_s_job/

Edited by capt_oats

Really really hope it's not Hughes. On a personal level he irritates me greatly and his career has been pretty mixed bag- even the clubs he appears to have done okay at he's pretty unpopular with the fans. Style of football is fucking tedious as well, and Breakfast Club was shite.

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Really really hope it's not Hughes. On a personal level he irritates me greatly and his career has been pretty mixed bag- even the clubs he appears to have done okay at he's pretty unpopular with the fans. Style of football is fucking tedious as well, and Breakfast Club was shite.

3o6EhHQ5fE37aBq7GU.gif