Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

If he's injured, he's injured.  This may be a timely warning to all those that think we should keep him till the end of his contract.  He's had a couple of lay-offs already. Would be just our luck to keep Moult and not be able to field him.  He has to go.  

And I'm aware that a substantial part of the fee will go to Wrexham and the two former owners.  I don't grudge Wrexham a penny, we'd be hoping for the same sell on clause.  And seeing a reduction in club debt has to be a good thing.  The sooner we are free of historical debt the better. 

I do have the fear slightly about replacing Moult.  We don't tend to create barrowloads of chances- pretty sure I seen we've got the 3rd or 4th lowest xG in the league- but, in Moult, have got something of a trump card in the league's third best striker.  Fisher, Bowman, Tanner and Sid all have a lot of good qualities but none of them strike me as 10-15 goal a season players, let alone becoming as talismanic in big games as Moult has been for us. 
That said, we do seem to have a habit of losing one striker and pulling another out of nowhere.  Going from 26 goal Michael Higdon to 22 goal John Sutton springs to mind. 

Motherwell have been watching Lewis Vaughan

recently but with a year contract signed that might change it.

Like most on here I’ve got a lot of time for Robinson but I see he’s commenting on the rule that meant we couldn’t make Morrison available for the first team if we recalled him (it’s not even an SPFL rule, it’s a FIFA one AFAIK).

In honesty complaining about a rule simply because it’s caused inconvenience in a one off instance isn’t really that good a look. Ultimately it’s something that we should have been aware of when we loaned him out and let’s face it, it’s only been mentioned because one of our 2 ‘keepers was injured.

As a related point, is the emergency loan for a goalkeeper still a thing in the Premiership? We initially brought in midget Dan on an emergency loan right?

In that respect, if it still is a thing, we could presumably have brought in someone in to sit on the bench on a short term emergency deal but while we could recall our own player from his development loan, we couldn’t involve him in the first team but he can turn out for the 20s as part of the loan.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:40, Swello said:

Yep - a huge blow him being out - but we're losing him in a few weeks anyway I'd imagine, so it's really just bringing it forward albeit at the worst possible time given the concentration of games coming up. The only (tiny) crumb of comfort is that the goals have been a bit more spread around this season compared to the previous couple...

Excluding Moult and his goals from our last 9 matches and you have 3 scorers each with a single goal and an OG.  Not great.  Even taking into consideration tough matches against Celtic, no one could score against Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hiberian, ie, any of the better teams.

The last five league matches in which Moult has not featured we've failed to score a single goal - today against Hearts, last season against Partick, Hamilton, Aberdeen and Dundee.

Moult is huge for us - literally the difference between being Top or Bottom 6.  He's won us 6 points this season, the difference between being 5th and 9th and put us into a cup Final.

Sell him on and you have to get your sums right.  We WILL lose league and cup cash as a result of selling.  You can talk about bringing someone else in but it's a crucial time of the season to establish a new main striker, who, even at best, probably isn't going to be as good because players like Louis Moult are few and far between. 

Look how Ross County have struggled since the sale of Liam Boyce. 

Do we seriously not have a 3rd choice goalkeeper knocking around somewhere?

Not one who’s eligible for the 1st team unless you go down to u17s level. Peter Morrison’s on development loan at Clyde which means he’s only eligible for our 20s. Same with Rohan Ferguson who’s at Airdrie on dev loan.

So we’ve 4 ‘keepers on the books but only two are eligible to play for the first team. Which is fine of course because there are only two first team spots but you end up looking pretty daft if one of them picks up an injury.

Like most on here I’ve got a lot of time for Robinson but I see he’s commenting on the rule that meant we couldn’t make Morrison available for the first team if we recalled him (it’s not even an SPFL rule, it’s a FIFA one AFAIK).

In honesty complaining about a rule simply because it’s caused inconvenience in a one off instance isn’t really that good a look. Ultimately it’s something that we should have been aware of when we loaned him out and let’s face it, it’s only been mentioned because one of our 2 ‘keepers was injured.

As a related point, is the emergency loan for a goalkeeper still a thing in the Premiership? We initially brought in midget Dan on an emergency loan right?

In that respect, if it still is a thing, we could presumably have brought in someone in to sit on the bench on a short term emergency deal but while we could recall our own player from his development loan, we couldn’t involve him in the first team but he can turn out for the 20s as part of the loan.

Emergency Loans are being discarded at all levels after this season. I'm sure it's been removed from the top flight already anyway

Remember being slated for saying it was a strange move to bring in Rohan Ferguson and send him straight back to Airdrie.  Yet now we are only a head knock or a red card away from starting matches with Carl McHugh in goals.

It must be completely obvious that three available goalkeepers are required for the first team.  Bit of a shambles to be honest.

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Remember being slated for saying it was a strange move to bring in Rohan Ferguson and send him straight back to Airdrie.  Yet now we are only a head knock or a red card away from starting matches with Carl McHugh in goals.

It must be completely obvious that three available goalkeepers are required for the first team.  Bit of a shambles to be honest.

Agree with the general point but Ferguson's at least playing with Airdrie's first team and I'd guess him going back to them was always part of the deal when it was proposed.

For me the one that's questionable is Morrison, he's at Clyde and as far as I can see is pretty much sitting on their bench so we've essentially made a 3rd choice 'keeper ineligible by loaning him out to sit on the bench of a 2nd division side. His game time this season has been entirely with our 20s anyway. His competitive games were against Queens Park and Crusaders for the 20s in the Challenge Cup. 

So to echo Mixu..."what's the fucking point?". 

As you say, it's a bit of a shambles especially as it should have been clear he wouldn't have been eligible as a last resort when we loaned him out. It's pretty standard stuff.

38 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

According to the Sun, Moult has agreed to join Preston.

Link

Fine with that tbqh. Moving to a mid-table Championship side is a good result for him and there's a fair chance of him actually getting games. It's also another win for "the model" in terms of us being seen as a decent platform.

Chat on their forum that it's a done deal for him to move in January.

Edit: The Record are reporting that not only are Preston going to increase his wage ten-fold they're also going to "test Motherwell's resolve" with a £500k bid in January (despite already having the pre-contract sorted). Lol wut?!

Motherwell are keen to keep Moult until the end of his current deal but Preston are likely to test the strength of their resolve with a bid of around £500,000.

Edited by capt_oats

57 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fine with that tbqh. Moving to a mid-table Championship side is a good result for him and there's a fair chance of him actually getting games. It's also another win for "the model" in terms of us being seen as a decent platform.

Chat on their forum that it's a done deal for him to move in January.

Edit: The Record are reporting that not only are Preston going to increase his wage ten-fold they're also going to "test Motherwell's resolve" with a £500k bid in January (despite already having the pre-contract sorted). Lol wut?!

Good move for the lad, you guys would surely jump at the £500k fee if that transpires to be Prestons plan.

Just hope the guy is a success, we have had a few proven goal scorers from our game go down to England just to crash and burn,  most noteably K.Boyd.

Edited by happyaccie

1 minute ago, happyaccie said:

Good move for the lad, you guys would surely jump at the £500k fee if that transpires to be Prestons plan.

We couldn't shift him for what we were after in the summer so £500k from a club who already have his signature, for free in 6 months seems a bit fanciful.

The key part really is less the upfront fee and more making sure we've got a sell on % tbh. I'd imagine we'd be happy enough with less than £500k if it meant we were able to get a 20% clause written into his deal. Don't get me wrong, I'd be bloody delighted if they offer that sort of cash but I'd have thought the reality would be more like £250k plus 20%. Maybe a couple of add ons. Who knows though? I could be totally wrong.

Ultimately I'm just happy he's not going to another Premiership side.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We couldn't shift him for what we were after in the summer so £500k from a club who already have his signature, for free in 6 months seems a bit fanciful.

The key part really is less the upfront fee and more making sure we've got a sell on % tbh. I'd imagine we'd be happy enough with less than £500k if it meant we were able to get a 20% clause written into his deal. Don't get me wrong, I'd be bloody delighted if they offer that sort of cash but I'd have thought the reality would be more like £250k plus 20%. Maybe a couple of add ons. Who knows though? I could be totally wrong.

Ultimately I'm just happy he's not going to another Premiership side.

Being honest I think Motherwell suited the lads game, sevco would have destroyed him and I wasn't at all convinced Aberdeen would have suited him with the way they play and expect their strikers to contribute defensively also. Preston are on the periphery of the play offs, and if Moult settles quick and finds his scoring boots he could be the catalyst to them reaching the play offs.

If the Moult stuff is true, then surely pre-contract is the worst of both worlds for us? Unless I'm being thick, it means that there is no sell-on in future or transfer fee now and (as much as I admire Moult's effort and honesty), you tend to get a ghost of a player for the last few months of their time.  If the five-figure weekly wage stuff is close to being accurate, then you simply couldn't blame the guy for not putting life-changing amounts of money in jeopardy...