Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Swello said:

100% this. McCall utterly fucked it by the way he arsed about with the team in the run up to the 2011 final.  I can only imagine the reaction if we took the foot off the pedal and lost all the games up until the semi - the Robinson out thread would be back in business before we were anywhere near Hampden.....

Full steam ahead and deal with the semi when we get there!

Stevie Hammell in fucking midfield. Honestly that decision still has me fuming. 

7 hours ago, Al B said:

Charlie Dunne is like Ross Geller from Friends. The epitome of "meh" who out of nowhere becomes an utter legend somewhere around Series 7.

I'll forgive the Friends metaphor and agree. Just one thing though - Friends?? I thought the Breakfast club was bad enough :) The minute Sex and the City is used to illustrate why playing with a diamond can help dominate a packed midfield is the day I leave P&B.....

A couple of months back, someone made the point that a downside of buying and selling at the rate we do now means that there is less of a "bond" between players and supporters than there was previously when guys hung around for longer. The thing is, the current team doesn't feel like that at all - this team has more personality about it than many I can think of and if some of these guys leave in the summer, they've left more memories than scores of players who have hung about for years in the past. 

Our current approach of "rehabilitating" players whose careers have stalled/stopped isn't new (Tommy Coyne is the best ever example for me), but it does - when successful - seem to produce players who don't take things for granted or have the "big time" attitude even though they find themselves in more modest surroundings. Dunne is a great example of a player that has taken time to settle, rebuilt and looks ready to play at a higher level again - although I hope that's another year away...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'll forgive the Friends metaphor and agree. Just one thing though - Friends?? I thought the Breakfast club was bad enough :) The minute Sex and the City is used to illustrate why playing with a diamond can help dominate a packed midfield is the day I leave P&B.....

A couple of months back, someone made the point that a downside of buying and selling at the rate we do now means that there is less of a "bond" between players and supporters than there was previously when guys hung around for longer. The thing is, the current team doesn't feel like that at all - this team has more personality about it than many I can think of and if some of these guys leave in the summer, they've left more memories than scores of players who have hung about for years in the past. 

Our current approach of "rehabilitating" players whose careers have stalled/stopped isn't new (Tommy Coyne is the best ever example for me), but it does - when successful - seem to produce players who don't take things for granted or have the "big time" attitude even though they find themselves in more modest surroundings. Dunne is a great example of a player that has taken time to settle, rebuilt and looks ready to play at a higher level again - although I hope that's another year away...

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

Obviously it's ultimately down to the players on the park and what they're doing that dictates the extent to which there's a reciprocal engagement but what the point above reminded me of something Grant Russell said in an interview with Joel Sked just after the #Pete6 thing broke the internet:

“I’m also a big believer in building more a “brand” around the players, telling their stories and showing more of their personalities. People love that sort of thing more than anything.”

Clearly the fact that we're winning games and generating "moments" like McHugh yesterday, Moult in the LC semi makes it easier to buy in if you're a fan.  When you've players with "character" (as Robinson continually banged on about all through summer) combined with a comms team who not only see a value in that but are able to create and present relatable content then it doesn't really matter if the player is from Burundi or Bellshill. The idea of creating a "brand" and relatable content around the players is something that we seem to be doing really well at the moment and for the most part it feels well judged.

I know he's struggling for goals at the moment but Ciftci's a good example of this. Almost everyone on here had a perception of him as being a mercurial talent with a questionable attitude.  The club have totally nixed that with the content they've been publishing. 

Again, credit to him and his scouting team but it all goes back to Robinson's recruitment and bringing the right personalities in.

I know their roles/job titles were different but feels like Grant Russell definitely gets the club and the support far more than Murrant ever did.

52 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye, this came into my head as I was Charlie Dunne-ing my way into work this morning. Stuart Carswell was a Motherwell youth, was here for years, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about him.

Compare that to guys, even like Curtis Main, who have been in the door about 20 minutes and tell me there's not a bond there, forged solely on the basis that he absolutely knocks his pan in for us every time he leaves the tunnel.

Helps as well that Main isn't absolutely humpty like Carswell was, but the point stands.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I know their roles/job titles were different but feels like Grant Russell definitely gets the club and the support far more than Murrant ever did.

This is absolutely correct for me as well. From my (admittedly limited) dealings with Grant, he's, more than anything, supportive of Scottish football. It isn't a shock to suggest that I never really took to Murrant, mainly as his head seemed to be anywhere else other than Motherwell. Running an open day while sunning yourself in Spain wasn't a great look for a fan engagement guy.

Russell, on the other hand, has overseen the #Pete6 stuff, the Time for Heroes video, Bigirimana sacrificing rams, and a startling insight into the club's dating policy. Fair enough, Murrant didn't have the same opportunities, as we were humpty last season, but the output is noticeably different, and much closer to an idea of 'Motherwell'. Russell isn't a Well fan, but more than anything, he's a Scottish football guy that absolutely believes in our game, and wants the best for it, so whether it was with us, or with just about anyone, I'd back him at it.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Obviously it's ultimately down to the players on the park and what they're doing that dictates the extent to which there's a reciprocal engagement but what the point above reminded me of something Grant Russell said in an interview with Joel Sked just after the #Pete6 thing broke the internet:

Clearly the fact that we're winning games and generating "moments" like McHugh yesterday, Moult in the LC semi makes it easier to buy in if you're a fan.  When you've players with "character" (as Robinson continually banged on about all through summer) combined with a comms team who not only see a value in that but are able to create and present relatable content then it doesn't really matter if the player is from Burundi or Bellshill. The idea of creating a "brand" and relatable content around the players is something that we seem to be doing really well at the moment and for the most part it feels well judged.

I know he's struggling for goals at the moment but Ciftci's a good example of this. Almost everyone on here had a perception of him as being a mercurial talent with a questionable attitude.  The club have totally nixed that with the content they've been publishing. 

Again, credit to him and his scouting team but it all goes back to Robinson's recruitment and bringing the right personalities in.

Obviously everyone likes a player coming through the youth ranks. I mean, I love watching Cadden & Campbell rampaging over the top of teams. But I don't think that's everything. You see the attitudes from folk like Bigi & Ciftci with the sizzling hot #content the club is producing on a weekly basis and you can't help but love them.

Also I'd agree about Grant Russell. Murrant was necessary and had his role in getting the opinions of fans over, but I think he also had a tendency to try and bring the kind of FOOTYLADBANTZZZZZZ pish that is all over English football up. And, as we know, that flies like a house brick here. The recent stuff that's gone up on the club's social media has been a class apart. Obviously the #Pete6 video was a rampaging success, and I loved it. But even wee things like playing heads up while Bigi discusses the sacrificing of a ram have had me openly howling with laughter.

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

But even wee things like playing heads up while Bigi discusses the sacrificing of a ram have had me openly howling with laughter.

The thing that had me laughing about that was his line "I was talking to you about that just this morning!!"  :lol::lol:      :unsure2:

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Obviously everyone likes a player coming through the youth ranks. I mean, I love watching Cadden & Campbell rampaging over the top of teams. But I don't think that's everything. You see the attitudes from folk like Bigi & Ciftci with the sizzling hot #content the club is producing on a weekly basis and you can't help but love them.

100%.

Bigi's started 9 league games yet he's probably one of the most relatable first team players at the club.

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

he also had a tendency to try and bring the kind of FOOTYLADBANTZZZZZZ pish that is all over English football up. And, as we know, that flies like a house brick here

Yep. The guys' appointment probably made sense from the point of view of having had similar roles at our size of club - but he simply never got the footy vs fitba thing - bantz doesn't do it here and I actually built up an irrational dislike of him after following him on Twitter for a couple of months - he was so clearly phoning it in.  

There was an interview with Murrant that I read where he said that Scottish football supporters aren't ready for US-style hype and razamatazz (boke) whereas down south, they already are. I hope that remains the case and that Scottish football tries to market itself more as a unique thing (for all it's rough edges) and not as a cringing, pale shadow of the English League as it currently is - getting rid of "Premiership" and "Championship" would be my first act if I - in a nightmarish version of Quantum Leap - was Neil Doncaster for the day. 

Things have been pitch perfect since Grant Russell came in - so that's clearly been a great appointment behind the scenes.

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100%.

Bigi's started 9 league games yet he's probably one of the most relatable first team players at the club.

His Cockney accent was out of this world.

"ALRIGHT GEEEEZER!!"

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I do agree with you on how Scottish football should be marketed. It's beautiful in it's own way. Obviously it lacks the financial clout of English football, but it's great. It's roughness is it's charm. 

Fwiw, I believe there's attempts being made to make a thing about this weekend's fixtures, as there's a lot of big games over the weekend. Should be a positive.