Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

FWIW: our most recent accounts financial statements are up on Companies House just now (to year ended May 31st 2017). There's no entry specific to stadium upkeep as far as I can see, but then I'm not really looking very hard. 

However it does confirm how much we got for Heneghan and Johnson's sell on:

"These amounted to £720,000 excluding direct costs and future contingent fees".

So...if Moult went to Preston for anything over £280,000 then we've brought in £1m+ in transfer fees this season. That's before LC final income or SC semi-final (at least).

Edited by capt_oats

You could probably add on another £500k from the LC run at least? What ever happens between now and the end of the season (barring us getting relegated) it’s been a fucking sensational season financially and one I think we were really needing.

Edited by Londonwell

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

200w.gif

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

Ja4z7.gif

"As a result of the Club's progression to the League Cup Final and player trading income realised during the transfer window, the Club forecasts maintaining a healthy cash position for the forthcoming season."

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

You could probably add on another £500k from the LC run at least? What ever happens between now and the end of the season (barring us getting relegated) it’s been a fucking sensational season financially and one I think we were really needing.

On this note, how many points do we need to be mathematically safe?

Not that I'm ruling out us hauling in Hearts, but we're what, 10 ahead of the playoffs? 36 is the highest total someone's been in the playoffs with (Us and Killie), 40 points probably do it?

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Not that I'm ruling out us hauling in Hearts, but we're what, 10 ahead of the playoffs? 36 is the highest total someone's been in the playoffs with (Us and Killie), 40 points probably do it?

Unlikely we will be mathematically safe before the split.

And we have some tough games before then. Accies, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, St Johnstone.

40 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

FWIW: our most recent accounts are up on Companies House just now (to year ended May 31st 2017). There's no entry specific to stadium upkeep as far as I can see, but then I'm not really looking very hard. 

However it does confirm how much we got for Heneghan and Johnson's sell on:

"These amounted to £720,000 excluding direct costs and future contingent fees".

So...if Moult went to Preston for anything over £280,000 then we've brought in £1m+ in transfer fees this season. That's before LC final income or SC semi-final (at least).

Am I being thick here? I thought that we sold Heneghan after the season started, so how can his fee be in the 16/17 accounts?

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Am I being thick here? I thought that we sold Heneghan after the season started, so how can his fee be in the 16/17 accounts?

No you're not being thick. You're also correct.

It's not included in the 16/17 accounts, it's included as a note in the document in section 21: Post Balance Sheet Events (as is the info re: LC final):  "The following events have occurred since the balance sheet date".

It also confirms we paid Boyle & Hutchison £211,500 (post-balance sheet).

Edited by capt_oats

We really have made great strides on and off the park this season. On the park we have a team which is committed, combative and gutsy and along with the manager they look as though they are really enjoying playing for the club, we have not seen that for years. For years we longed for a Cup run with a big day out at Hampden and that hope and excitement that we could actually lift silverware at last and this season we have had not one but TWO cup runs! That has obviously made for a much more enjoyable campaign but has also helped boost us financially off the park and with the news that we are upgrading some aspects of our old ground it really does give you that satisfaction that we are finally moving in the right direction as a club and away from the amateurish way we were infamous for for as long as many of us can remember.

We are not perfect, of course not, but this current team and this season has been the most enjoyable for many a year.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I had a look at this in the Dundee match thread the other week here.

It doesn't make us mathematically safe but works out roughly like this, in terms of probability 38 points would mean we'd be unlikely to end up in the play-off spot:

Tbh I'd say we're probably two wins pre-split away from guaranteed safety (we finished 9th last season on 38 points) and it'd be nice to get those sorted sooner rather than later. If we can hit 38 points pre-split then I'd imagine that we'd pick up one or two wins post-split to take us over the 40 point mark.

This is how the last 10 seasons have looked:
16/17 - 11th: 35 pts
15/16 - 11th : 36 pts
14/15 - 11th: 36 pts
13/14 - 11th: 35 pts
12/13 - 11th: 41 pts
11/12 - 11th: 33 pts
10/11 - 11th: 33 pts
09/10 - 11th: 33 pts
08/09 - 11th: 37 pts
07/08 - 11th: 40 pts

The only real anomalies there are 12/13 and 07/08 which were of course notable as they were Dundee's Club 12 season and Gretna's swansong. Remove those as outliers and you're looking at 11th spot being on average 34.75 points so realistically anything over 38 points is likely to be guaranteed as finishing above 11th in a normal season.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Saturday 14th April for the semi-final then...

12:15 is a wretched time for a big game - doubly so for Aberdeen fans if they make it past Killie. Even for Killie and 'Well fans, even though there isn't far to travel,  it's a bit of a shiter of a time if you want to go for a few beers first and make a day of it....

10 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

You didn’t expect anything less though really? The game between the two c***s had (yes, had!) to be on the Sunday.

Not sure the point here. 

I would rather have the game on a Saturday and I am sure the arse cheeks will have an early KO also. 

At least we can have a few beers after the game go celebrate or commiserate and have the Sunday to recover. 

On an earlier Q I am sure I read we took in £900k from the League cup run. But that would be before expenses and player bonuses etc. I would hope we would have made a net profit of £500k+.  In fact it will probably prove more lucrative than if we make Scottish cup final. Especially as aggregate attendance for semi-finals will be 10k to £20k less most likely. 

Edited by welldaft
Mistake

20 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

You didn’t expect anything less though really? The game between the two c***s had (yes, had!) to be on the Sunday.

Can't they just drop a bomb on the Old Firm match and have our match be the final?