Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

As far as the vote goes the conflict I have here is that I actually think McHugh's take on the chest then stepping on to it for the volley outdoes Moult's in terms of technique. The camera angle from behind where you can see him him in motion, eyes fixed with the ball dropping perfectly for him to hit (and he does) shows that it's far more than just a swing and hit (no matter what McHugh says about it).

However, in terms of context a 25 yard lob over the 'keeper to beat Rangers and take the team to a Cup Final. I mean...fucking hell lads.

I'd agree with the technique. In the slow motion clip you can actually see him prolong his step so he can meet it perfectly. An outstanding goal and it capped off what was one of his best performances for me. 

But Moult lobbing the 'keeper from 25 yards? You could have cut diamonds off my stauner when that hit the back of the net. 

58 minutes ago, Desp said:

Moult's lob at Hampden was a funny one for me.  I was hungover to f**k at the game, and we were right behind it in the corner of the East Stand.  I was convinced, absolutely convinced, that the ball had gone over the bar, hit the back of the advertising boards, and then hit the other side of the net.  That's why my brain told me.  I initially turned to my mate, who was going tonto, to tell him it hadn't gone in.  I was only when I realised the full Motherwell squad running away celebrating that I knew it had in fact dropped in.  

A wee bit gutted that I never got the chance to properly celebrate the goal, but I still love watching the replays of it.

McHugh's on Sunday was a special one.  I was in the Main Stand, and the boy behind me said afterwards that he didn't see the ball hit the net as me and my mate were up celebrating as soon as it left McHugh's foot.  You don't get those kind of celebrations as a fan too often, IMO, so I'll treasure that one for a long time.  My reaction to it reminded me of mine to another volley against Hearts, when O'Donnell fired one into the same goal, around about 2004.

That O'Donnell volley is one of my favourite Motherwell goals ever. I think we had just scored a minute or 2 before it, when Phil unleashed an absolute thunderbolt into the top left corner. I launched my gf at the time about 3ft in the air, the bounce in the east stand was incredible. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Moult's lob at Hampden was a funny one for me.  I was hungover to f**k at the game, and we were right behind it in the corner of the East Stand.  I was convinced, absolutely convinced, that the ball had gone over the bar, hit the back of the advertising boards, and then hit the other side of the net.  That's why my brain told me.  I initially turned to my mate, who was going tonto, to tell him it hadn't gone in.  I was only when I realised the full Motherwell squad running away celebrating that I knew it had in fact dropped in.  

A wee bit gutted that I never got the chance to properly celebrate the goal, but I still love watching the replays of it.

McHugh's on Sunday was a special one.  I was in the Main Stand, and the boy behind me said afterwards that he didn't see the ball hit the net as me and my mate were up celebrating as soon as it left McHugh's foot.  You don't get those kind of celebrations as a fan too often, IMO, so I'll treasure that one for a long time.  My reaction to it reminded me of mine to another volley against Hearts, when O'Donnell fired one into the same goal, around about 2004.

I did the exact same. As soon as he hit it I turned my back while muttering about him being a glory hunting b*****d (or something along those lines) only to then see everyone behind me going mental. Turned back round to see the team celebrating and the ball sitting in the net. Didn't actually see the goal until I saw the highlights later on and realised how much of a fanny I am.

3 hours ago, Desp said:

I noticed he was an unused sub for Preston again last night.  I really hope it works for him down there.  It's a big step up, yes, but I would be really disappointed for him if it didn't work out.

Aye, I heard their score coming through on the radio when I was on my way back from 7s last night and wondered if he was playing.

It really depends on what Neil's expectations of him are and whether he was actually bought for this season or next. He took a while to adjust with us and that was with a pre-season under his belt. The difference is that he's unlikely to be afforded as much time down there as he was here (and even then there were plenty of "he's not good enough shouts" with us).

The Championship is a step up in terms of physicality and I can imagine that just generally moving mid-season isn't an easy transition to make. As it stands he's made 7 appearances but only played 302 mins, Preston are a point off the play-offs and have only lost 1 in their last 6 (3 draws mind you) and they've won their last 2 without him in the side. It stands to reason but chances are if they get a winning side then that's the team they're going to stick with.

One thing I do find a bit odd is Preston seem to play 4231, Moult was a fantastic player for us but he was never a lone striker. He always played his best games with a partner alongside him whether it was McDonald or Bowman. He started up front on his own against Villa in a game they ended up drawing 1-1 but Moult as a lone striker against John Terry...ooooft.

Edited by capt_oats

37 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I did the exact same. As soon as he hit it I turned my back while muttering about him being a glory hunting b*****d (or something along those lines) only to then see everyone behind me going mental. Turned back round to see the team celebrating and the ball sitting in the net. Didn't actually see the goal until I saw the highlights later on and realised how much of a fanny I am.

I absolutely froze solid and attempted to REMAIN CALM.

Went alright, in the end.

It was almost as if it happened in slow motion, as the ball seemed to hang in the air forever whilst the Motherwell support held its breath... then bedlam. As much as I have watched that replay hundreds of times since and will never tire of watching it, the highlights just don't do it justice, you had to be there at the time. The "ah shit, f**k off" body language of their keeper when it dropped under the bar after he had convinced himself it was going over does help the highlights though.

If you watch the highlights and listen carefully, there is a small group of 'Well fans (who must have had the best view that it was dropping in) that start cheering half a second before the main rammy - I like this*.

*I noticed this somewhere round the 1000th watch of the youtube vid.

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Still a travesty that there's seemingly no video footage directed towards our end at that goal.

There is somewhere but I'm yet to see it in full. 2:52 in this video shows it. I, personally, wish it was available because I'm in the background about to go fucking tonto.

29 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Still a travesty that there's seemingly no video footage directed towards our end at that goal.

The club highlights were from a different angle - but they are blocked, apparently because Twist and Shout is at the end and the Beatles copyright machine requested that it was taken down :blink:

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

The players are all team bonding at the Braehead Clan hokey match tonight. I reckon Allan Campbell and McHugh could take them.

They put their right foot in...

The goal against Aberdeen is underrated. It's Cadden at his absolute best with the strength and pace to beat his man, but then to finish that when the ball is effectively behind him is something special.

You can watch that clip fully knowing how it ends and still miss Moult finishing it because of the pace of the cross and finish.

I've got a ridiculously short attention span which reached it's nadir(banter) during that LC semi final. I properly phased out and was mid daydream when the ball left Moult's foot and only really regained consciousness once it hit the back of the net and everyone around me went tonto.

Roughly the same thing happened when we won at NDP in the relegation derby last season.  And for that reason they're two of my favourite goals.

12 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I was frozen to the spot while it was in the air. Had utterly convinced myself it was dropping on to the roof of the net. Then when it hit the back of the net I absolutely lost my shit. 

Same.

BTW the keeper doesn't even putting a token hand in the air and he wasn't that far off his line. I think that made me think he had missed.

23 hours ago, Al B said:

Not this season of course, but his lobbed volley against Celtic at Fir Park is one of the best goals I've ever seen.

On a slightly related but separate note, I recently watched an old Ojamaa Motherwell compilation video. Fucking hell....

Been saying since that goal if it was a barcelona player scored that ye'd never hear or see the end of it.

As for the Semi goal. I was halfway down the stairs as soon as it left Moult's foot. (At least that's how I remember it) I was near the stairs and ended up heading for ma da as I had gone to him at HT

52 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

As for the Semi goal. I was halfway down the stairs as soon as it left Moult's foot. (At least that's how I remember it) I was near the stairs and ended up heading for ma da as I had gone to him at HT

I can confirm this. 

I was sitting in the same group with Busta and I think he reappeared to the seat about 8 minutes after Moult scored.  A wonderful day.