Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

3/5 at the back definitely suits us defensively but a lot of the time it's a detriment to our attack.  Our game plan is obviously geared towards getting balls in the box for the strikers to get on the end of but it's hard to get crosses in when the only players capable of delivering them- Cadden, Tait or Frear, are having to run the entire length of the pitch to do so. Robinson has made us far more solid and I do think we've got the personnel to be more creative but it's about finding a formation that will facilitate it.

I think that's pretty much it. It's surely no coincidence that we've been a bit more successful in terms of conversion rate when we've been playing 2 strikers plus Tanner recently.

We tried Tanner playing off the striker earlier in the season and it just didn't really work.

As soon as you go with a midfield 3 of Campbell, McHugh, Rose then as much as I understand the logic and thinking behind it 1 striker plus Tanner off him just isn't really as effective and you're relying solely on the two wingbacks for the creativity and source.

If teams just pack the centre of the defence then they should be able to deal with balls coming in from wide areas reasonably well as you've only got 1 striker plus a #10 whereas (as Sportscene highlighted during their coverage of the Hearts game) playing a 3412 means we get more bodies in the box. 

If we want to play 352/532 then really what we need in that sort of situation is a ball playing central midfielder to go along with the 2 holding mids in McHugh and Campbell.

Edited by capt_oats

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm sure we're all in agreement that we'll almost definitely beat Celtic next week now.

Absolutely no chance. 

I'm going to stick my neck out right here and now that we will not win another game until after the split and I include the semi final in that.

Celtic (H) - pumped

Rangers (H) - might scrape a draw here but a narrow defeat is more likely

Aberdeen (H) - again might scrape a draw but I think we will lose

Saints (A) - Defeat

Aberdeen/Killie (N) - defeat

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

And there you have it...3 from 4 of Scotland's management/coaching staff have Motherwell connections.

Former manager, former player/assistant manager and former goalkeeper.

Represent...

Don't forget Peter Grant, partly responsible for the best Motherwell moment ever outside of the Cup Final...

On 10/03/2018 at 19:39, Busta Nut said:

Cadden is dog shit. He's been found out. He's strong and has reasonable pace. that's it.

Maybe just a tad harsh, he’s certainly not developed the way we’d hoped though. 

When he burst into the team he was pacey, powerful, direct and full of energy- it looked like he had all the attributes plus a terrific attitude to boot. Fact is though he’s stagnated somewhat and he’s no better a player now than he was 18 months ago.

What I would say though is that apart from when he’s been injured, on a number of occasions I've been convinced he’s been injured even when he has played, he’s never had a break from the first team since he broke into it and maybe it’s starting to catch up with him. On Saturday he looked jaded, leggy and lacking in confidence- I know he was never the most technically gifted player but  he even looks reluctant to take players on these days which is what his game is all about. 

I said in the match thread on Saturday but I genuinely think the last time I seen him beat his man and whip a decent cross in was for Moult’s 2nd at Pittodrie back in November. 

Shamelessly copypasting what I said about Cadden on Steelmen.

McGhee clearly lost the plot at some point in the 16/17 season and we're far better off with Robinson. However the way we were set up under McGhee definitely suited some players, with Cadden the obvious one. He's a weird player, but I still think his best position is somewhere between a central midfielder and an out an out winger, in that lopsided 4-3-3 McGhee played. I'm not sure if Cadden has actually regressed over the last year or just reverted back to the mean but it'll be interesting to see where him and Campbell are in five years.  Probably the two similar benchmarks for young players recently are Callum Paterson and John Mcginn respectively, who they're both still a few levels below right now.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Shamelessly copypasting what I said about Cadden on Steelmen.

McGhee clearly lost the plot at some point in the 16/17 season and we're far better off with Robinson. However the way we were set up under McGhee definitely suited some players, with Cadden the obvious one. He's a weird player, but I still think his best position is somewhere between a central midfielder and an out an out winger, in that lopsided 4-3-3 McGhee played. I'm not sure if Cadden has actually regressed over the last year or just reverted back to the mean but it'll be interesting to see where him and Campbell are in five years.  Probably the two similar benchmarks for young players recently are Callum Paterson and John Mcginn respectively, who they're both still a few levels below right now.

In the current setup, it feels like Cadden has to literally run the length of the field before he is taking people on to set up a chance - even being as fit as he is, it can't be easy. It's actually rare that someone puts him in a good attacking position with a pass - it feels like he has to do it all himself at times. I guess we need to decide if he's an attacker or not. 

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Carson called up to the Northern Ireland squad.

Well deserved and maybe a small consolation for the fact that he would be starting for Celtic now if the move had gone through....

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:39, Busta Nut said:

Cadden is dog shit. He's been found out. He's strong and has reasonable pace. that's it.

Totally agree I've been saying this for a while and his quality of crossing is absolutely garbage, particularly the cross he had that would've given Main and he somehow managed to fire it miles over him and out for a goal kick, wouldn't mind seeing Ross Maclean get a chance over Cadden now.   Only half decent crosser i'd say we have just now is Frear.

NEW PODCAST: http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-28/

Sparra & Jay are joined by Derek Watson to discuss the Lanarkshire Derby defeat, preview the upcoming fixture with Celtic, chat about this weekend’s Motherwell Makes Music festival (which Derek is organising), and devote a fair chunk of time to the inevitable repeal of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act this week.

No daleks were strangled in the making of this podcast.

On 10/03/2018 at 16:39, Busta Nut said:

Woah, calm down. 

He needs to discover how to beat a man, maybe he's too late for that and that will limit his career from an offensive point of view.  He's another one suffering from Robinson's battling ethic. Guys like Bigi are wasting their time at Motherwell, and as long as Robinson continues this strategy, Cadden is wasting his time at the club too. In as much as I like Robinson, the fact is he's kryptonite to some players. Bizarre that Robinson has put into reverse a decent player under McGhee. 

Also bizarre is the muppetry I'm hearing about Campbell being too small. Like we haven't seen successful small midfielders over the last twenty years? 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

NEW PODCAST: http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-28/

Sparra & Jay are joined by Derek Watson to discuss the Lanarkshire Derby defeat, preview the upcoming fixture with Celtic, chat about this weekend’s Motherwell Makes Music festival (which Derek is organising), and devote a fair chunk of time to the inevitable repeal of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act this week.

No daleks were strangled in the making of this podcast.

Excellent. 

Did you look up what brevity means in the dictionary yet? In as much as I appreciate all your effort ya'll need to stop droning on so long. You guys saying you have dedicated "a fair chunk of time," to anything gives me the fear. 

Consider limiting the podcasts to fifteen minutes, thirty minutes being lengthy, forty-five absolute maximum.  No need to drone on. 

3 minutes ago, WellView said:

HEY EVERYONE!! LOOK AT ME!! LOOK AT ME!!! IS EVERYONE NOTICING ME YET?? 

FTFY.

Maybe you could have a punt and do your own podcast?  I'm sure you have the spare cash to get some top equipment.  I mean, you do have a healthy business empire, don't you?  You still getting the big bucks to tame the forum trolls?

You should get @happyaccie on your first one.  You two would get on like a house on fire.