Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Same as everyone else it’s an absolute gutter. It sounds a really fucking horrible injury too.

As Graeme says though, you’re looking at our squad to step up. There may not be a direct replacement but Çiftçi dropping in as a #10 and going with Main and Bowman as a pair is an option, as Desp points out Cadden started the season playing centrally and his goals against QP and Morton came from that area of the park.

Beyond that you’ve had Bigi and MacLean waiting all season for a shot. While if you’re looking at the 20s David Turnbull has a lot of the qualities we’ve been lacking this season in terms of composure on the ball and ability to pick passes.

It’s still an absolute boot in the baws though. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

I'd think we'd go Campbell, McHugh, Rose against Celtic and Rangers but I think it'll be more open in the other games.

Robinson's done a wee video interview discussing the Tanner injury and he suggests he's looking to other players who "haven't had quite the opportunities that they could've".

IMO that's a definite nod towards Bigi and MacLean.

21 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Gonna go out on a massive limb and declare that Bigi will be our best player between now and May and win us the cup.

Fully expecting Bigi to be pinging these in from all angles for the remainder of the season tbqh.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's amazing that they managed to prosecute a single Accies supporter for breaking seats at Fir Park but (despite a fucking huge effort no doubt) seemingly haven't managed to get a single Celtic supporter for the constant damage that they have done to the South Stand :rolleyes: 

Celtic and Rangers pay clubs for the damage, and also probably their silence, a few days after the match. Have done for years. Not a game goes by without seats being broken or toilets being damaged. Absolutely no idea why they do it tbh, seems utterly pointless.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Celtic and Rangers pay clubs for the damage, and also probably their silence, a few days after the match. Have done for years. Not a game goes by without seats being broken or toilets being damaged. Absolutely no idea why they do it tbh, seems utterly pointless.

Complete lack of education, self-control and basic humanity would be my guess.

21 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ultimately, as much of a blow as this is, this is what squads are for.

Guys like MacLean and Bigirimana, you'd imagine, have been waiting and asking for their chance in the team, now that Tanner is out, it's entirely down to them to step up and show they're capable in there.

The devil will be going to work on ice skates before the manager gives the players mentioned real opportunity.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

All true - but I guess the Accies fan who ended up charged was dealt with by the police & courts, and 'Well had nothing to do with it - as usual, they are strangely less inclined to do so when Rangers & Celtic are in town (as we'll see over the next two games).

As for paying for silence, I've always worked under the assumption that the club don't make a public fuss of this stuff as they are scared of ending up on the end of a Bhoycot or see the Blue Pound spent on union jack tea towels and royal family memorabilia instead.  

33 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

The devil will be going to work on ice skates before the manager gives the players mentioned real opportunity.

Do you think the manager is correct in his thinking, or are the aforementioned players being hard done by in your opinion?

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

Do you think the manager is correct in his thinking, or are the aforementioned players being hard done by in your opinion?

Hard done by. He's definitely not scaled the heights and looks unlikely to secure a starting berth anytime soon, I don't think I'm the only one who wishes to see more. Despite some of his peers turning in poor performances Ross MacLean hasn't been given the chance to kick on as others were.

Was watching the press conference from yesterday just there and it struck me just how grey the manager looks, compared to how I thought he looked at first as Barraclough's assistant. Did a quick look back and the difference in only a couple of years is quite clear and amusing!

Robbo1.PNG.4639a13ed3a4901fae3803a0dacaf59e.PNG

Taken from Robinson's first press conference. Would still be able to get into Bamboo on a Wednesday night!

Robbo2.PNG.593baef44a12acdc4a664031abcd48e6.PNG

The press conference after McGhee was sacked. Quite a difference - the stresses of Oldham and assembling a squad on such short notice visible!

Robbo3.PNG.103320ac1596e89016cbb0d5bf528373.PNG

Yesterdays presser. Quite the transformation in a short space of time! 

Don't think it's a secret just how much the man puts into the job, between the coaching and the long miles to scout players, as well as opposition. 

I have sympathy for Maclean, I felt he was really coming on to a game last season under McGhee before he got a bad injury- he was excellent in the 4-3 defeat against Celtic.

He came off the bench to score the winner in Dingwall at the start of this season and has hardly been seen since. Unless there’s something untoward going on behind the scenes with regards to his attitude, then he can probably feel hard done by that he’s not had more of a chance this season.

I have slightly less sympathy with Bigi. I do like him but whether it’s his style of play or ours, for one reason or another it just hasn’t clicked for him here. Whenever I’ve seen him start I’ve been underwhelmed and whilst his talent is obvious, I always feel he’s on the periphery of the game rather than taking control of it- which he is capable of as his 2nd half display at Firhill proved. 

He’s had some decent cameos off the bench but has really failed to establish himself in the team and I could see Robinson trying to shift him on this summer, especially if Turnbull is as close to the first team as Robinson suggests.

Edited by Casagolda

I reckon the summer will see the end of Grimshaw at the end of his contract and we don't know if Rose will extend his contract which he's been offered so I reckon Turnbull would replace one of them in the first team and Bigi will still be there next season for me, I think there is a player in there but it's possibly the system or style of play that isn't allowing us to get the best out him just now, but I'm not going to give up on him just yet though.

28 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I have sympathy for Maclean, I felt he was really coming on to a game last season under McGhee before he got a bad injury- he was excellent in the 4-3 defeat against Celtic.

He came off the bench to score the winner in Dingwall at the start of this season and has hardly been seen since. Unless there’s something untoward going on behind the scenes with regards to his attitude, then he can probably feel hard done by that he’s not had more of a chance this season.

I have slightly less sympathy with Bigi. I do like him but whether it’s his style of play or ours, for one reason or another it just hasn’t clicked for him here. Whenever I’ve seen him start I’ve been underwhelmed and whilst his talent is obvious, I always feel he’s on the periphery of the game rather than taking control of it- which he is capable of as his 2nd half display at Firhill proved. He’s had some decent cameos off the bench but has really failed to establish himself and I could see Robinson trying to shift him on this summer, especially if Turnbull is as close to the first team as Robinson suggests.

Worth pointing out that MacLean was playing out of position in the 4-3 game too.

I think he's been pretty unfortunate on a number of levels. He's a right mid, attacking midfielder - we play a 352/3412 so it kind of limits where we could use him effectively. I've watched him play for the u20s at RWB a couple of times and IMO it didn't seem a natural fit. For all the criticism Cadden has picked up recently, while it may not get the best out him he can play the wingback role well enough. With MacLean I don't think the same versatility is there. He's an attacking player, not a defender. That seems clear to me.

I always had MacLean pegged as the natural replacement to Cadden at right midfield however since we don't actually seem to play a system that uses a right midfielder now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I noticed he's been putting extra work in with Craig Moore as his PT fwiw.

I think your point about Bigi pretty much nails it. Robinson seems like the sort of guy who makes a big deal about being able to trust a player to turn up. We've seen Bigi in fits and starts but he's never really taken control of games which is what you really want/need him to do. The 2nd half display at Firhill was indicative of what he can do and in fairness he started the next three that followed (1-0 Killie, 1-1 Dundee, 3-1 Accies) but while as a whole the team was largely mince I don't think he's ever really done enough to nail down a place. The fact that we've been winning games without him in the starting XI makes it quite hard to make too much of a case in his defence.

Having said all that, I think there's a definite argument that Robinson's still not entirely sure what to do with him or how to get the best out him. In a way you can make the same point about Tanner, he was frequently being introduced as a sub, making an impact then starting the next game only to be hooked at half time because it wasn't working.

Edited by capt_oats