Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 hours ago, WellView said:

The issue is the strangled Dalek sound you get on way too many podcasts. 

These guys ain't slow at self-promotion. 

They should learn the skill of production, and the benefit of brevity. 

You at the game tomorrow, or have you got a shift in the taxi?

Aye.  If his hairline goes any further back, he'll soon be blowdrying his arsehole.

As for his quality - is he a solid, dependable player for Motherwell?  Abso-fucking-lutely.

Good enough to play for Scotland?  To get us to a level above where we are now?  Not for me, sadly.

Big Herbalife doing the pre-match press conference that went out today.

The bit about the backlash following the semi and all that along with him talking about the support he received from Robinson is quite interesting but the part that piqued my curiosity was him saying that Robinson had been saying to him that he's "his type of player" and talking about wanting him to be the main man etc.

I get that there's clearly going to be an element of man-management at play there but it does seem a bit at odds with the vibe from Robinson re: our strikers through December. Especially seeing that we brought in two strikers in January and were looking to bring in a 3rd on deadline day.

Fwiw: I quite like Bowman and he's a pretty useful option to have but I think it's clear at the moment that he's our 3rd choice striker. With him being out of contract in the summer I wonder how that will play out.

Edited by capt_oats

The stuff about McHugh's twitter (being infested with snake emoji's IIRC) was quite funny. The usual presser with players last about 3 mins as they rarely say anything interesting as per their media training - but Bowman must have slept through his - and the hacks obviously scented a quote or two :)

I thought the "I want to build the squad around you" line was the most interesting as it seems fairly preposterous and doesn't tie in with Robinson's own chat that he told the big man that he was likely going to be 4th choice...

Edited by Swello

Pre-game #content.

Possibly one for Del Superwell but who's the boy behind Rose here? Doesn't look a familiar face from either 1st team or u20s. Either way, mad props to him whoever he is for the fleein' throwback Predators.

5aa2c246e9310_ScreenShot2018-03-09at17_19_25.thumb.png.a19c157d542597fb05729dda10553cf1.png

Edited by capt_oats

Way too many fans wrote Bowman off last season. He was a victim of financial constraints at the club. He should have been signed earlier and undergone a professional pre-season. His performance last season was the club's fault. They had him at Celtic Park May 2016, and signed him before midnight on deadline day.  Look at the difference a pre-season made.  Re the "build around," comment. Robinson has proved that in a way, he's built a squad around the type of player that Bowman is - committed, physical, never gives up. So Bowman was right in what he said. 

Anyway, arrgghh. Forkin' Hearts losing last night put's us in play for an unlikely top-six finish.  We'll be away to Celtic and Rangers if we make it, and at best we'll finish sixth, a prize money difference of £55 grand or so? It's not worth it - we'd be better finishing a comfortable seventh and bringing through guys like Turnbull, McLean and MacGuire for the last few league games. 

I predict a mass exodus from the club again this close season. The difference being several being transfered, and some first-team players declining new contracts and moving. Bowman is likely to be one of them. Robinson and Foyle are going to have their hands full again this summer. 

Yep, bottom six now and in reality you'd have to say that's probably about right.

Today showed the biggest limitation of this team, lack of quality in the final third. This season has been based on being well organised, well drilled and being difficult to beat- while at the other end we could rely on a piece of magic from Moult or a set piece to swing the game in our favour. When we don't defend properly, like today where we gave away two of the softest goals this season, those limitations come to the fore as we struggled to create anything even against a makeshift Accies side. That was the theme of December when we lost Carson, Hartley and Moult- giving away daft goals at one end and struggling to score down the other.

Robinson deserves great credit for the January additions of Aldred and Main, they really steadied the ship and got us back to somewhere close to where we were before December- if not quite hitting that same level. He is a young manager and has done by in large an excellent job this season, whilst it might not always be pretty to watch it has been effective. He's had to build a new team and it makes sense if you're building anything, you do it from a solid base- so I'm not surprised the way he's gone about things this season. 

Going forward though, we've got to improve. To be fair to Robinson he does say after just about every game that we could/should use the ball better, yet we've seen very little evidence of that so far. We knew he could organise things at the back from his spell at Oldham, however his problem there was his team often struggled for goals and that's something he has to work on going forward. Our use of the ball today for example was quite frankly appalling- the lack of urgency, the lack of movement, failing to hit or even see fairly straightforward passes I mean it was genuinely painful to watch.

It has bee been a good first season though-  a cup final, another semi at least and we should even if we miss out on the top six finish in a relatively comfortable mid-table position. It gives Robinson and the club a decent platform to build on for next season and it will be interesting to see what he does in the summer- having a  mini clear out and getting rid of guys like Plummer, Petravicius, Grimshaw and Hendrie would be a start.

Edited by Casagolda

It has been a good season overall and Robinson has done a fine job over the piece. But we are not without out flaws and today was another glaring example of them. As a 'footballing' side we are poor and if we are honest it has been this refreshing will to win and sheer character which has brought us our good occasions thus season.

Will we make top six? Well with the run of fixtures up to the split then it looks extremely unlikely.

However if our will to win and sheer character, combined with a bit of luck, guides us to a Scottish Cup win, will I or dare I say the overwhelming majority of the support give a shit? I would imagine no, and rightly so.

3/5 at the back definitely suits us defensively but a lot of the time it's a detriment to our attack.  Our game plan is obviously geared towards getting balls in the box for the strikers to get on the end of but it's hard to get crosses in when the only players capable of delivering them- Cadden, Tait or Frear, are having to run the entire length of the pitch to do so. Robinson has made us far more solid and I do think we've got the personnel to be more creative but it's about finding a formation that will facilitate it.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

3/5 at the back definitely suits us defensively but a lot of the time it's a detriment to our attack.  Our game plan is obviously geared towards getting balls in the box for the strikers to get on the end of but it's hard to get crosses in when the only players capable of delivering them- Cadden, Tait or Frear, are having to run the entire length of the pitch to do so. Robinson has made us far more solid and I do think we've got the personnel to be more creative but it's about finding a formation that will facilitate it.

I agree with that but our problem as you say is finding the correct formation. We have players capable of delivering service into the box from wide but if they are operating in what is a defensive formation then they are going to struggle to do that. The other problem you create if you try and 'open us out' is that we lose the compactness that has helped contain opponents in several games this season, so you have a double edged sword.