Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Can we all, as a footballing nation, just fucking chuck paying attention to "unwritten rules" ffs?

Agreed - even though I get the "courtesy" element of stuff like this - the whole thing is a facade. 

These sort of "end of contract" deals are all done between the player's agent and the buying club - trying to pretend that the current club has any sort of meaningful say in that process (other than being just another buying club if they want them to stay on) doesn't really make sense.  The idea that Holt/Livingston (or any club) haven't spoken to players' agents without the knowledge of their current club is an insult to people's intelligence.

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

Agreed - even though I get the "courtesy" element of stuff like this - the whole thing is a facade. 

These sort of "end of contract" deals are all done between the player's agent and the buying club - trying to pretend that the current club has any sort of meaningful say in that process (other than being just another buying club if they want them to stay on) doesn't really make sense.  The idea that Holt/Livingston (or any club) haven't spoken to players' agents without the knowledge of their current club is an insult to people's intelligence.

100%. I mean, it's nice to be nice and that but there are levels of semantics with this sort of stuff. Just because Holt may not have been aware of it doesn't necessarily mean it was underhand or disrespectful.

Clubs are sounding out agents, agents are sounding out clubs for their clients, agents are feeding stories to journalists (incidentally Jim Duffy's bit in The Sun about Hastie is just fucking weird btw).

The whole thing's a massive grift.

Edited by capt_oats

51 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Can we all, as a footballing nation, just fucking chuck paying attention to "unwritten rules" ffs?

I would be inclined to agree with this to be honest. For the amount of gamesmanship that goes on now where you often you get a crowd baying a player to kick the ball out of play because another guy probably isnt badly injured or at all, just needlessly breaks up play.  If its that bad the ref can blow his whistle. 

Edited by gannonball

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would be inclined to agree with this to be honest. For the amount of gamesmanship that goes on now where you often you get a crowd baying a player to kick the ball out of play because another guy probably isnt badly injured or at all, just needlessly breaks up play.  If its that bad the ref can blow his whistle. 

Aye pretty much. If it's a head knock or serious injury the ref can halt the game and manage it from there. 

And as for pre-contract agreements, alright it might be courteous bit it's not really anything to do with Livingston tbh. 

I am fully on-board with our new emerging role in Scottish Football btw. If I was a very wealthy man, I would outbid any other potential sponsor to have this on the front of our shirts next season.

image.png.90a048c00b39482d26f83a2235e6590a.png

Do companies outside of the football world typically show the courtesy of getting in touch with each other before offering a contracted employee a position when his current contract runs out?

I'm assuming the answer is no. Football clubs need to remember they're businesses with employees, not gentleman's clubs with amateur volunteers.

Edited by nsr

The only time I would imagine there'd be any contact between two clubs regarding an out of contract player would be if compensation was involved, but again that would surely be done once the player had signed for the new team and it was up to the clubs to work out the amount of compensation played. 

Someone will know the exact age rules of compensation between teams in the same country, and the player Gallagher's age, but I'm going to doubt there would be any compensation involved between Livi and whoever his new team is. Ergo, "Free to talk to other clubs".

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Aye pretty much. If it's a head knock or serious injury the ref can halt the game and manage it from there. 

And as for pre-contract agreements, alright it might be courteous bit it's not really anything to do with Livingston tbh. 

Apologies only half read thread and thought the goal chat resurfaced. Given that tapping up happens pretty much all the time  nowadays, if a club is allowed to speak to a player legally (<6 months contract) then yeah would be superficial to keep this ‘agreement’.

6 hours ago, Swello said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that we have actually made a move for him? 

I'm sure we have been in contact but he probably has a few offers to weigh up before the summer. The fact he hasn't been announced by anyone means he isn't getting blockbuster offers from interested clubs.

We should also be keeping our options open to sign up Tom Aldred if he is available at an affordable wage.

53 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We should also be keeping our options open to sign up Tom Aldred if he is available at an affordable wage.

100% this. Aldred is a great fit at the club - and considering he appeared to be fucking hated by supporters at Bury, you'd think the fact that he is well-liked at Fir Park would help if the wage offers were close. 

45 minutes ago, Swello said:

100% this. Aldred is a great fit at the club - and considering he appeared to be fucking hated by supporters at Bury, you'd think the fact that he is well-liked at Fir Park would help if the wage offers were close. 

That's it though, his Bury contract is up in the summer so he'll be away either way. I'd think that League 1 clubs would be able to offer a lot closer to what he's on with Bury than we will (I say that not knowing what he's on at Bury or what we could offer of course). There's a fair chance I'm just reading too much into the chat that he wasn't really fussed about coming back previously and he'd only intended it to be a 6 month thing.

Having said that I'd think whatever Hartley's plans are would have a bearing given he's probably on a decent wedge of our budget sitting on the bench.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

What are the 'ethics' of this when a player is nearly out of contract...are we legally entitled to inform his current employer, or is it another 'unwritten rule' that we've trodden all over?

Seems to be just a respect things between managers. McInnes and Levein both been quoted by our manager as speaking to him before making moves for our players, 

That's it though, his Bury contract is up in the summer so he'll be away either way. I'd think that League 1 clubs would be able to offer a lot closer to what he's on with Bury than we will (I say that not knowing what he's on at Bury or what we could offer of course). There's a fair chance I'm just reading too much into the chat that he wasn't really fussed about coming back previously and he'd only intended it to be a 6 month thing.
Having said that I'd think whatever Hartley's plans are would have a bearing given he's probably on a decent wedge of our budget sitting on the bench.

When is Hartley’s deal up?

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems to be just a respect things between managers. McInnes and Levein both been quoted by our manager as speaking to him before making moves for our players, 

I'm not sure we how much respect we should be paying to two-bob West Lothian outfits with artificial pitches TBH. The fact we're even signing their player is enough respect already.

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

There we have it...

:lol:

Presumably we haven't announced it out of respect for the fact that Gallagher is still a Livi player...

Tam Wright out there just announcing other folk's business.

Edited by capt_oats